PDA

View Full Version : General $42K restoration

82DMC12
04-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Wow, and they didn't even replace the hose clamps on the water hoses! Which tells me they probably didn't put the money into the right things. Hmmm....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-1981-Delorean-DMC-12-Stainless-Steel-Fully-Restored-/150800501854?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item231c690c5e#ht_14997wt_1023

sean
04-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Wow, and they didn't even replace the hose clamps on the water hoses!

Or they may have replaced them with OEM clamps. While OEM clamps are "new" they are far from shiny and new looking. What's got me is $42k and hey couldn't replace all the labels? Gotta love that orange coil cover label.

82DMC12
04-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Or they may have replaced them with OEM clamps. While OEM clamps are "new" they are far from shiny and new looking. What's got me is $42k and hey couldn't replace all the labels? Gotta love that orange coil cover label.

True. But I would also expect the engine to look better - just look at the valve covers, throttle body, fuel distributor.... frame doesn't look refurbished. I think it looks like hell for a $42K resto. Can't imagine what it must have looked like before spending all that?

Andy

Kukem
04-29-2012, 09:47 PM
That car has been for sale for quite some time. I remember seeing it when I first started looking to buy a Delorean. It appears on and off ebay if I recall correctly.

David T
04-29-2012, 10:31 PM
It appears to look like a very nice car but if they spent $42K on it someone spent WAY too much!
David Teitelbaum

Chris Burns
04-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Not a bad Delorean, but not worth what they are asking!

PaulH
04-30-2012, 12:39 AM
That car has been for sale for quite some time. I remember seeing it when I first started looking to buy a Delorean. It appears on and off ebay if I recall correctly.

When I bought mine, a year and 1/2 ago, it was up for sale then, and for at least 3 months before that.... I think they need to put that sucker up for a no reserve auction at this point.... or just keep it. it isn't a 40K car. The pictures with the fog on the camera lens isn't helping maters.

Grover
04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. I tried to buy and own the car before the owner got the restoration done at PJ Grady's. The title was being 'jumped'. The current owner never titled or registered the car in his name. The title is still from the original owner in California who has now passed away. The title that you would be getting now would have my information on it from when I tried to title the car. There is also a correction on the mileage which the NJ DMV did not like at all and kept trying to say the title has been altered. All a huge headache. If your DMV is not picky, go for it, otherwise stay away from the nightmare of trying to title the car for over 6 months. It was also just about impossible to get in contact with the seller to acquire any information to try and help the situation.

Just a heads up. Though if someone is still looking into it, contact PJ Grady as he did all of the work.

82DMC12
04-30-2012, 11:36 AM
When you were looking at it, did it appear to have a $42k restoration done? How long ago was it done? Did they show you the paperwork for it?

Grover
04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
I had the car before the restoration. At the time I had it, I shipped it to Rob Grady. I then got my money back from the seller when I talked about involving lawyers to get the title situation figured out (RED FLAG, the buyer tried selling it outside of the used car business as a personal sale, I am guessing that it is now being sold through the used car business in order to get around the jumped title). The car stayed at Grady's for about 1 1/2 years. I looked at the car every time I went to Grady's to pick up parts, etc. He did a really good job on it, but for the record the condition of the car when I was looking to obtain it was not that great. Rob said once he started to take it apart there were many different hidden problems that he found (one being a previous engine fire). Rob said he went through just about the entire car, correcting everything that was done by PO's, as well as fixing items that had been long neglected and just not working on the car (the entire Lambda System was not working).

The original ebay add for when it was sold to the buyer in MA was on the old DMCtalk site. From the cache on google, it was sold for 14,500 to the owner in MA. The car is originally from California. When I went to buy it the listing price was over the original purchase price. Someone posted about this car from a craigslist add and I posted the same thing about the car. NJ DMV is VERY strict on titling cars here, so other states may not care about the Title issues. Just wanted to get the information out there so that someone can avoid all the headaches and issues I had. Ask any member of the DMA that has been around since 2007 when I joined, they all know the trouble I went through to try and resolve all the issues.

Restoration was probably completed about 1 year to 2 years ago. I have no seen the paperwork for it but I would always ask Rob about how the restoration was going and last I talked to him he mentioned that the restoration was getting up there (not going to quote cost, but it's close to what the seller is stating) and was about 1/2 year before it left the shop. From seeing the car taken mostly all apart at the shop, I'd say the restoration cost is there.

DeLorean
04-30-2012, 02:29 PM
When you were looking at it, did it appear to have a $42k restoration done? How long ago was it done? Did they show you the paperwork for it?

Did you read his post?

82DMC12
04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Did you read his post?

Ummm... Yeah? Obviously you didn't read it or you would know the questions I asked were not yet answered.