PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C Damaged Condenser?

Witchboard
05-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm replacing my radiator and found that my condenser is bent on the bottom. Looks like somebody bottomed it out, but how it got up that far I have no clue. It doesn't look like it's damaged any of the core, just the fins and the bottom frame. I'll post up a pic later to show the extent of the damage. I would not look forward to dropping two Big Bens on another condenser, but experience shows these things need AC!

stevedmc
05-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm replacing my radiator and found that my condenser is bent on the bottom. Looks like somebody bottomed it out, but how it got up that far I have no clue. It doesn't look like it's damaged any of the core, just the fins and the bottom frame. I'll post up a pic later to show the extent of the damage. I would not look forward to dropping two Big Bens on another condenser, but experience shows these things need AC!

Is your car leaking refrigerant?

David T
05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
If just the fins are bent they can be straightened. If the tubing is bent but not leaking leave it alone. If the tubing is bent flat you will have to replace the condenser or have it repaired.
David Teitelbaum

Witchboard
05-02-2012, 10:17 AM
There is currently low or no refrigerant. I guess I could always take it in and have it tested since I plan on converting to R134 anyway.

stevedmc
05-02-2012, 10:31 AM
If the condensor is aluminum and leaking, replace it. I learned my lesson with attempting to repair aluminum and it was an expensive lesson.

DeLorean
05-02-2012, 11:27 AM
There is currently low or no refrigerant. I guess I could always take it in and have it tested since I plan on converting to R134 anyway.

When was the last time it was charged? If you have any pressure in the system, the fact that it's bent should not matter at all. Likely if you still have R-12 in the thing, it's not been charged for a long time, so if you are holding ANY pressure, you are in pretty good shape.

Witchboard
05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
It was charged several years ago. I know it already has a leak, I just don't know where. For financial reasons, the D was put up in storage and recently pulled back out to get fixed up.

David T
05-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Easy enough to see if it is leaking. Put some pressure on it and shoot some soapy water at it. Or you can remove it and pressurize it and then dunk it in water. Aluminum CAN be repaired, you just have to know how to do it. Depending on how damaged it is it may not pay to mess with it.
David Teitelbaum

Witchboard
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I'll take a pic of the condenser tonight and see if the system has any pressure. Thanks guys for all the feedback.

Witchboard
05-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Well, I did push on the schrader valve on the compressor and the system is under at least some kind of pressure. My wife has run off with the camera. I'll get that pic later tonight.

Witchboard
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Here's the pic. The dark wet spot I think is antifreeze from where I removed the radiator, so I do not believe that is a leak.

jawn101
05-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Here's the pic. The dark wet spot I think is antifreeze from where I removed the radiator, so I do not believe that is a leak.

Not an expert here, but it just looks like the lower edge is bent and some of the fins, but not any of the tubes. That doesn't look so bad honestly, other than cosmetics. That doesn't mean there's no leak, but I think you escaped any major damage.