PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Instrument Panel - Glow in the Dark

DrJeff
05-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I was messing around with an ultraviolet light pen (the kind you use to detect A/C leaks) and I noticed that a few numbers/marks on the instrument panel glow in the dark. Interestingly the 55 mph mark glows like crazy, but not a lot else. Strange how they would choose fluorescing paint for just a few marks, but not them all.

I took some pictures with the pen highlighting the two halves of the instrument panel.

I was wondering if this might be a very inexpensive way to get a more modern looking instrument panel... replace the instrument faces with new faces made up with 'glow in the dark' lettering and then fit black-light LEDs in the instrument lighting?

Jeff

1batt4u
05-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Yea, I have tried that as well with a Blacklight, awhile ago. The ones that lit up, really looked good!

I was thinking of making decals to place over the original, and use a blacklight to light them up. I have too many projects at the moment.

dvonk
05-08-2012, 10:34 PM
nice find, the orange paint must have a phosphorescent pigment! :cool:

UV lights are also a good way to find scorpions... :hihi2:

http://bca.org/gallery/bioimages2008/large/65_uv_florescence_scorpion.jpg

jawn101
05-08-2012, 11:59 PM
It's also good for finding A/C leaks :)

dmc6960
05-09-2012, 12:44 AM
I've looked into this. While the amber and red to illuminate quite nicely under UV light, there is no simple way to take advantage of it. To get the white characters to illuminate, you'd have to painstakingly paint each one perfectly. Only other option would be to completely print out a new decal using UV sensitive white plus the other colors. Once your printing out a new decal you'll have difficulty getting it looking good under all conditions. Even after all that, there are characteristics of UV illumination that will cause excessive eye strain over prolonged periods. Not ideal when driving overnight on a long trip. That is one of my justifications over working towards my electronic/backlit solution.