PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stock Fuel Lines - Are they good enough?

DavidProehl
05-10-2012, 01:01 PM
I was thinking about replacing my stock fuel lines with the braided stainless ones (my line from the cold start failed over the weekend), but then just today I heard from an owner who said he thought the originals were "stainless steel braided on the inside." Is this true? I know there is an inner sleeve and the outer rubber protects the inner line, but are the original lines truly good long term? I don't need the appearance of the stainless lines, I just want something that is going to be long lasting. How much faith can I put in my 31 year old fuel lines?

opethmike
05-10-2012, 01:02 PM
They are NOT stainless on the inside.

82DMC12
05-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Original ones are not stainless braided on the inside. They can fail, but I wouldn't replace them just for prevention.

Just my opinion but I think the stainless braided ones for sale look tacky. I have replaced one original hose with another oem style myself.

Andy

DavidProehl
05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Andy - What lines did you use? I'm assuming they aren't molded like the originals are they?

Bitsyncmaster
05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Probably new stock lines are fine but the SS ones are much thinner and make for a better install. The SS and OEM lines have the same inner hard tubing. It's just the outer cover that has changed. If I were to do it over again, I would spend the extra money and get the SS lines with the heat shrink cover.

DavidProehl
05-10-2012, 01:08 PM
That is what I was looking at. Stainless lines with a black cover on them so they look like rubber. Seems crazy to pay for stainless and not show it off, but I agree with Andy that it can look a little tacky.

82DMC12
05-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I just don't like the stainless braided ones because they stick out like a sore thumb and don't match anything else. Maybe I'm too anal but I like things to look 'right'. I don't doubt that the ss hoses are easier to install though!

I got a new molded oem hose from Grady. This was like 7 years ago.

Bitsyncmaster
05-10-2012, 01:13 PM
That is what I was looking at. Stainless lines with a black cover on them so they look like rubber. Seems crazy to pay for stainless and not show it off, but I agree with Andy that it can look a little tacky.

Someone sells the SS ones with most any color cover your want.

DavidProehl
05-10-2012, 01:20 PM
I got a new molded oem hose from Grady. This was like 7 years ago.

Thanks! Yep, he still has them. I guess the proper name for them is "Injector pipe": http://pjgrady.com/index.php/cPath/31_54

Someone sells the SS ones with most any color cover your want.
I was looking at Hervey's lines which he'll sell in any color.

Tough call. I like the look of molded black lines, but I've never heard a bad word about stainless lines and they do afford extra space to work around.

opethmike
05-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Maybe I'm too anal but I like things to look 'right'.

Please oh please oh please don't look in my engine bay then! :) :) :)

dmc6960
05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
The advantage about the OEM hoses are you can just replace the ones which have failed. I believe with stainless its all or nothing. I would however recommend getting the whole stainless set for your engine. The fact that you had the one already swapped out with a generic (wasn't that the cold start line which you just said failed?) and we had the one break on us when changing out your distributor cap, I would recommend a full replacement.

82DMC12
05-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Please oh please oh please don't look in my engine bay then! :) :) :)

LOL I wasn't talking about THOSE kind of modifications! More like a dirty engine compartment with shiny SS lines running all over the place :-)

David, I would probably go with SS lines with black covers on them, myself, if I were to replace everything. I do like the idea of making it easier to move them around and install. Especially on the driver side.

Andy

DavidProehl
05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
The advantage about the OEM hoses are you can just replace the ones which have failed. I believe with stainless its all or nothing. I would however recommend getting the whole stainless set for your engine. The fact that you had the one already swapped out with a generic (wasn't that the cold start line which you just said failed?) and we had the one break on us when changing out your distributor cap, I would recommend a full replacement.

It was the replacement line that we put in that failed on me. It wasn't a proper line to begin with, but when I called DMCMW to replace it properly, they didn't have it. My other lines are working fine. However between this and my slave cylinder failing a couple weeks ago I'm losing faith in any part I haven't replaced.

LOL I wasn't talking about THOSE kind of modifications! More like a dirty engine compartment with shiny SS lines running all over the place :-)

David, I would probably go with SS lines with black covers on them, myself, if I were to replace everything. I do like the idea of making it easier to move them around and install. Especially on the driver side.

Andy

That is the way I'm leaning...I'll just miss the look of stock hoses.

82DMC12
05-10-2012, 01:39 PM
That is the way I'm leaning...I'll just miss the look of stock hoses.

The ss hoses with black covers on hervey's site look close to OEM.

jawn101
05-10-2012, 01:52 PM
David, you know I'm biased because I already laid down the cash for the stainless lines... but here are my thoughts.

- When I first got them, I was a little freaked out by the change from the stock appearance. No doubt about that.
- When it came time to install them, the thinner outer jacket and added flexibility paid for itself in spades

Also, I don't begrudge anyone their opinion that they look a little tacky in the engine bay. It took me a little while to warm up to them myself. However, after running them for a while they've totally grown on me. The black jacketed stainless lines are an interesting idea too. When I bought mine I don't believe John was offering that option. Or maybe I just missed it, his website can be a bit of a minefield. Either way I'm pleased with how they look installed, and they match nicely with all the other braided stainless lines I've done (clutch, slave cyl bleeder, brake lines, lower speedo cable)

Pic attached for your consideration, and I'm not hurt if no one likes how it looks - but I sure do!

Either way, I'll be standing by to help you install whatever you choose! It's your car, do what you like aesthetically - but definitely be proactive on this since you've already had one failure.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10336&d=1336672062
From above

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10337&d=1336672435
Last time we took the manifold out to do some valley work, but a little closer-up. Seems like every pic I have of this car shows it in one state of disassembly or another. Fancy that.

DavidProehl
05-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Either way, I'll be standing by to help you install whatever you choose! It's your car, do what you like aesthetically - but definitely be proactive on this since you've already had one failure.

I'm definitely taking action. The reason for this post was to resolve some conflicting information I had heard. Thanks for all the feedback, this has been very helpful! I think I'll go with the stainless lines, but likely with the black cover on them.

82DMC12
05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm definitely taking action. The reason for this post was to resolve some conflicting information I had heard. Thanks for all the feedback, this has been very helpful! I think I'll go with the stainless lines, but likely with the black cover on them.

+ 1 I'm sure any ss hose will last forever! Reliability is the name of the game.

jawn101
05-10-2012, 02:37 PM

Sounds like a good plan! I'd ask the vendor you choose whether the cover changes the flexibility of them at all though - that's really high on the list of benefits to these lines.

Also, if you go with John's lines there will be a single random banjo bolt in the box that you won't know what to do with. It goes between the soft supply line and the filter, replacing your original banjo bolt. He uses a different fitting on that end and if you use the OEM bolt it will leak like a sieve. Ask me how I know. :)

WelmoedJ
05-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Hervey has them (SS lines with black or color cover).
However these covers are silicone and the tube is almost as thick as the originals.
I asked John to shrinkwrap the SS lines and so mine are black and as thin as the SS lines.

Welmoed.

DavidProehl
05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Hervey has them (SS lines with black or color cover).
However these covers are silicone and the tube is almost as thick as the originals.
I asked John to shrinkwrap the SS lines and so mine are black and as thin as the SS lines.

Welmoed.

Thanks for the heads up. Are the shrinkwrap ones holding up well? Does the wrap tear at all when bending them? I can picture working on the car and bending one to get it out of the way that causes a small tear exposing stainless in the middle of a black line.

WelmoedJ
05-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Are the shrinkwrap ones holding up well? Does the wrap tear at all when bending them? I can picture working on the car and bending one to get it out of the way that causes a small tear exposing stainless in the middle of a black line.

Of course shrinkwrap is not as strong as silicone hose (thinner wall), but bending is no problem.
The only issue I had was that I routed the long line from the CPR to the FD underneath one of the other lines at the FD (number 1).
The shrinkwrap got "bitten" by the wrench while tightening no 1.
So if you let the CPR/FD line run free, no problems.

Attached is a picture of my SS shrinkwrapped lines.
In the yellow circle is the "damage".

John U
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
These are lines from DMCUK
They look very original but are strong and quite a bit more flexible

DavidProehl
05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
In the yellow circle is the "damage".

I would have never noticed that! Lines look good even with the cut.

These are lines from DMCUK
They look very original but are strong and quite a bit more flexible

Nice and shiny! I like them!

Kenny_Z
05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Red's PO put a stainless braided line under the car attached to the accumulator. It failed and I couldn't tell because the stainless looked fine but whatever cheap inner lining they used became brittle and cracked. I have never seen this from a Delorean vendor so I have no idea where he got it. I replaced with an OEM. They swapped the CSV line with a stainless braided cable. There are a few broken strands that will stab the hell out of your finger if you aren't paying attention. I think when it comes time I'm going to put in stock lines.

tgraham
05-10-2012, 06:11 PM
These are lines from DMCUK They look very original but are strong and quite a bit more flexible

I have a set of these thermoplastic hoses too. They work well and have a nice stock look to them. It's also worth noting that they come with new fittings and new hollow bolts too - no core necessary.

Travis

John U
05-10-2012, 07:51 PM
I have a set of these thermoplastic hoses too. They work well and have a nice stock look to them. It's also worth noting that they come with new fittings and new hollow bolts too - no core necessary.

Travis

Yes, totally all-included with no core return...I think I paid around $350USD....well worth it for all the stuff you get and the good quality

Morpheus
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM

Travis

I intend on replacing my SS braided lines (came with the car) with these as well.

DCUK Martin
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys :thumbup:

outatym2001
05-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Here is a picture of what I installed several weeks ago. I installed them only because I was paranoid about driving around with 31 year old fuel lines. There was no problem what so ever with my original lines.
I bought these from DMC Northwest in Bellevue, Washington. Price $325.95 for nine fuel lines plus the copper sealing washers are included. They have clear (like mine) and blue and red and possibly other colors but you will have to call them about that. Business hours 9 am to 6 pm Pacific Time, Monday thru Friday.

Another thread is below about fuel lines from DCUK Martin.
Why you MUST replace those 30 year old fuel lines!
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?576-why-you-MUST-replace-those-30-year-old-fuel-lines!

John U
05-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Another thread is below about fuel lines from DCUK Martin.
Why you MUST replace those 30 year old fuel lines!
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?576-why-you-MUST-replace-those-30-year-old-fuel-lines!

That thread looks familiar.....

DavidProehl
05-13-2012, 03:05 PM
That is one sorry looking hose! I'm on it. Ordering new lines this week.

DavidProehl
06-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Quick update: Finally finished installing the new lines today. Thanks for all your suggestions, I ended up going with Hervey's black covered stainless lines. I went stainless because I decided thin lines were more important to me than the stock appearance, and I went with black covering because I didn't want the flash of exposed stainless back there.

Here are some before and after pictures.

Before

After

And yes, the coolant bottle is next on my "to-do" list.

82DMC12
06-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Very nice! I like the look. As I said before I think the silver stainless lines look tacky but these are a good compromise. Well done!

vwdmc16
06-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Nice David. I forgot you are still rocking the plastic coolant tank.

jawn101
06-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Nice David. I forgot you are still rocking the plastic coolant tank.

And how's the O ring around your oil fill cap doing? :)

DavidProehl
06-23-2012, 03:06 PM
The o-ring is better than I thought, but I was thinking about ordering one anyway. Couldn't find the part number though, I see the filler assembly (http://store.delorean.com/c-333-1-4-0-air-inlet-systemair-cleaner-assembly.aspx), but they don't list a part number separately for the o-ring. I suppose I could probably find a replacement if I really wanted one from most auto parts stores.