PDA

View Full Version : Engine Engine Wiring Harness

jafo2k
05-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Anyone have perhaps a routing map for engine harness? I'm going to install a new engine harness but previous owner(s) has a mess made of the old one. Sadly no other DeLorean around to go by.. I have a Delorean..um.. wiring diagram, but not mush help.

deloumis
05-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Anyone have perhaps a routing map for engine harness? I'm going to install a new engine harness but previous owner(s) has a mess made of the old one. Sadly no other DeLorean around to go by.. I have a Delorean..um.. wiring diagram, but not mush help.

For the most part, everything starts falling into place. I installed mine with no guides, it was fairly easy. Plug in the bulk head connectors and it wraps around from behind the engine then towards the back of the car on the driver side. Most plugs are color coded (not sure if all).

WelmoedJ
05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
For the most part, everything starts falling into place. I installed mine with no guides, it was fairly easy. Plug in the bulk head connectors and it wraps around from behind the engine then towards the back of the car on the driver side. Most plugs are color coded (not sure if all).

Most wires are colour coded too ;)
If you have the original loom, you may want to split the wiring that run to the alternator and starter motor from the main harness and give it a direct connection along the passenger side.
Much nicer solution (also found on the 83 models), shorter leads, new clean contacts and a bit more power to the devices (I gained .1 Volt on the meter and also got rid of the voltage drop shown on the meter when the fans kick in).

Welmoed.

jafo2k
05-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Seems I have more plugs then places to plug in? Got harness right from DMC. Going on 1981..

TTait
05-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Seems I have more plugs then places to plug in? Got harness right from DMC. Going on 1981..

The harness may have some unused connections for the diagnostic plug, which will hang down near the firewall toward the centerline, and a microswitch for the automatic transmission kickdown near the throttle assembly, etc.

Looking at wire colors, combinations running to the connector etc when compared to the wiring diagram may be helpful. Hopefully there are not many other unused connectors beyond those two, but those are all I could think of right off.

How long did the swap out take?

jafo2k
05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
The harness may have some unused connections for the diagnostic plug, which will hang down near the firewall toward the centerline, and a microswitch for the automatic transmission kickdown near the throttle assembly, etc.

Looking at wire colors, combinations running to the connector etc when compared to the wiring diagram may be helpful. Hopefully there are not many other unused connectors beyond those two, but those are all I could think of right off.

How long did the swap out take?

hehe,, still working at.. old harness in a mess... gonna tackle this weekend. I printed a super large size wiring diagram.. so hopefully that will help.

jafo2k
05-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Before I go crazy.. lol Maybe someone can tell me where this goes.. Black Plug two pin. One with Black wire with slate tracer. Other is Black wire with Yellow Tracer. On the harness with that plug is a one pin plug with two green wires. Thanks in advance.

DMC5180
05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
It's the Idle ECU coolant temp switch connector.You'll Have to lift the Intake to connect that one. It's located in the Right side of the VOD Y-pipe.

jafo2k
05-13-2012, 07:01 PM
It's the Idle ECU coolant temp switch connector.You'll Have to lift the Intake to connect that one. It's located in the Right side of the VOD Y-pipe.

Thanks, no wonder I couldn't find it.

Cheers!

jafo2k
05-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Some people should NOT have access to electrical tape!!

WelmoedJ
05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Some people should NOT have access to electrical tape!!

There are two kinds of electrical tape: the sticky one and the non-sticky (which is for covering wire looms).
I agree, some folks use the wrong kind or don't know how to splice and solder.
So there are also two kinds of people: the ones that can have knowledge and the ones that should use the knowledged ones ;)

jafo2k
05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
There are two kinds of electrical tape: the sticky one and the non-sticky (which is for covering wire looms).
I agree, some folks use the wrong kind or don't know how to splice and solder.
So there are also two kinds of people: the ones that can have knowledge and the ones that should use the knowledged ones ;)

So true.. luckily, my profession is auto electric.. and it gets better, finally got time to take intake off.. and lookie what i see..

Dangermouse
05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Nice.

was there a small fire at some point in the cars history?

time for that extra roll of tape.

jafo2k
05-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Nice.

was there a small fire at some point in the cars history?

time for that extra roll of tape.

No, that was the only spot. I don't think one of the previous owners.. well.. knew what the hell was going on! Bright side? Time to install that new water pump.. :)

WelmoedJ
05-15-2012, 03:22 PM
No, that was the only spot. I don't think one of the previous owners.. well.. knew what the hell was going on! Bright side? Time to install that new water pump.. :)

If that was all...... you're in for an electric overhaul in there, as well as a good clean up.
Been there, saw that, cleaned that, now it's very nice in my car.
Before rebuilding....

DMCMW Dave
05-15-2012, 05:43 PM
BTW - there are two vastly different harnesses. 90% of the cars use the "early" harness that goes over the top of the engine and carries all the alternator charge wiring.

The "late" harness gets hidden on the sides of the intake (much nicer looking) and does NOT contain the alternator wiring. This was factory installed on 1983 cars, and is the only one that Houston is selling unless you really want the other one (unlisted) and can convince them to pull one off a stock engine.

If you use the late harness you need to add two part # 110093 wires (or make your own) to jump from the alternator to the starter AND from the jump-start post to the main body feed behind the ignition coil.

The late harness is a much nicer looking installation and your alternator will work better. The harness is part #110185

82DMC12
05-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Dave, do you have any photos of an installed late harness for comparison?

DMCMW Dave
05-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Dave, do you have any photos of an installed late harness for comparison?

Sorry no, but it's easy to picture. Assume there is no large bundle of taped up wires on top of the engine. The wiring comes in from the back between the intake and the air metering assembly so you really don't see it other than a run that comes around the front of the passenger side valve cover to the alternator.

82DMC12
05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Maybe next time you see one you should take a few pics! I might switch mine out for cosmetic reasons while I have my engine out.

WelmoedJ
05-16-2012, 04:01 AM
Maybe next time you see one you should take a few pics! I might switch mine out for cosmetic reasons while I have my engine out.

Will this picture help?

I have made the "in between" 81/82 and 83 version.
Stripped the loom, split the wiring into 2 looms but left the original 81/82 alternator/starter harness.
Just routed it right hand side (see fat bundle between alternator and starter) from starter to bulkhead.

jafo2k
05-16-2012, 06:57 AM
If that was all...... you're in for an electric overhaul in there, as well as a good clean up.
Been there, saw that, cleaned that, now it's very nice in my car.
Before rebuilding....

Yup, completely! Fuse and relays are a mess.. just ordered fuse box, relays and holders. Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy it.. it is a Delorean after all!

jafo2k
05-16-2012, 07:01 AM
BTW - there are two vastly different harnesses. 90% of the cars use the "early" harness that goes over the top of the engine and carries all the alternator charge wiring.

The "late" harness gets hidden on the sides of the intake (much nicer looking) and does NOT contain the alternator wiring. This was factory installed on 1983 cars, and is the only one that Houston is selling unless you really want the other one (unlisted) and can convince them to pull one off a stock engine.

If you use the late harness you need to add two part # 110093 wires (or make your own) to jump from the alternator to the starter AND from the jump-start post to the main body feed behind the ignition coil.

The late harness is a much nicer looking installation and your alternator will work better. The harness is part #110185

I got the late harness as well as the 110093 wires.. she should turn out nice. Thanks everyone for your help.. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon.. hehe

jafo2k
05-16-2012, 07:12 AM
AND from the jump-start post to the main body feed behind the ignition coil.

Hmmm.. I'm crazy.. I see no jump-start post.

jafo2k
05-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Hmmm.. I'm crazy.. I see no jump-start post.

lol.. nevermind.. too early never had coffee yet.

Ryan S.
12-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Is there a way (how to instruction) to reroute early style harness without upgrading to late style harness? Just for a cosmetic reason, I would like to hide harness next time I do vod job. Thanks.

vwdmc16
12-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Ive done it on my car and Jon's car. We can show you how Ryan.

Ryan S.
12-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks Clint!!!

Ozzie
01-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Sorry, jumping in late here, hope this helps a bit.
I have previously posted some reference pictures of when I put the latter type harness, on my car.
You'll find the pictures, at the bottom of this link: "Cleaning up the Engine Bay over Time" (http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2009/01/cleaning-up-engine-bay-over-time.html)

DMC5180
01-01-2014, 07:10 PM
That's excellent Ozzie. That needs to be put in the resources or How to's section.

Ryan S.
01-02-2014, 03:26 AM
Thanks Ozzie

jawn101
01-05-2014, 01:17 AM
Is there a way (how to instruction) to reroute early style harness without upgrading to late style harness? Just for a cosmetic reason, I would like to hide harness next time I do vod job. Thanks.

Ive done it on my car and Jon's car. We can show you how Ryan.

Man, I'm behind on these threads. Yes, a very successful reroute of the early harness under the manifold. It does make removing the intake a little tricky as you have to finagle and disconnect a few more things, but it looks a thousand times better. Take the opportunity to re-wrap any roached wires.

Ryan S.
10-13-2016, 01:58 AM
After VOD job, I rerouted my wiring harness (earlier version).
As you can see from photos, you have to remove the fuel mixture unit out first then reroute harness through left side of fuel mixture unit and wrap around under W pipe.
No need to modify harness. It's a tight fit but it fits. It makes reinstalling pipe of agony more difficult but not impossible.
This mod was based on Jon and Clint's info