PDA

View Full Version : Electrical relay update jumper questions

lamboman
05-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi, I have received a relay update kit (with no instructions at all)i was aware of the y jumper for the fan but if you view my attached pic you will see 3 different jumpers and i am trying to figure out each purpose and how / where to install?.also there is updated circuit breakers but the old ones are riveted to the metal frame in some way?...is the purpose to remove those or leave where they are and attach the wires to the new breakers?.The new breakers have no mounting post so i dont see how this can be accomplished cleanly (install wise).thanks for any advice.

jawn101
05-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi, I have received a relay update kit (with no instructions at all)i was aware of the y jumper for the fan but if you view my attached pic you will see 3 different jumpers and i am trying to figure out each purpose and how / where to install?.also there is updated circuit breakers but the old ones are riveted to the metal frame in some way?...is the purpose to remove those or leave where they are and attach the wires to the new breakers?.The new breakers have no mounting post so i dont see how this can be accomplished cleanly (install wise).thanks for any advice.

Those are fuse extenders, not jumpers. You don't need them unless your fuse box is melting and you haven't addressed the root cause of the overheating. With the exception of the short, single wire jumper - that is probably (?) for the A/C panel lights mod (to turn the A/C lights on only with the headlights) and is also optional. None of those are the Y jumper for your fan fail relay, that would have 3 blades on it.

The circuit breakers themselves are not riveted to the frame, they are just inside of clips and the clips are riveted. Disconnect the wires to the breaker and pull the breaker straight away from the panel they are clipped to. They will come right out.

David T
05-23-2012, 12:11 PM
If you just bought something from one of our venders your first call for help should be to that vender. Maybe they did include directions and you didn't see them or maybe you have to go to their website. If they are not helpful, then we will be glad to help, but you should give the vender a try first, they know what they sold you best.
David Teitelbaum

lamboman
05-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree...unfortunatley the vendor is causing me some problems right now and nearly impossible to get answers out of.Dissapointing considering i have always used them for the last few years and have always sent friends to them aswell.

If you just bought something from one of our venders your first call for help should be to that vender. Maybe they did include directions and you didn't see them or maybe you have to go to their website. If they are not helpful, then we will be glad to help, but you should give the vender a try first, they know what they sold you best.
David Teitelbaum

dmc6960
05-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I agree...unfortunatley the vendor is causing me some problems right now and nearly impossible to get answers out of.Dissapointing considering i have always used them for the last few years and have always sent friends to them aswell.

I've been hearing a lot of the same lately. More than the usual. My burn was back in 2006. Perhaps this "company" can be dropped from the vendor list.

As for the actual wires you have laying there... The double fuse one is likely the fan fail bypass. The other two I have no clue.

jawn101
05-23-2012, 04:19 PM
I did *not* notice that the top two fuse holders were connected together. One vendor does provide a fan fail fix that looks surprisingly like that. My mistake!

lamboman
05-28-2012, 08:49 PM
i am replacing the circuit breakers that came with the kit...they have a silver and copper colour posts...does it matter what way these are installed?...i mean what wire goes to what post? or does it work the same either way?.

DMC5180
05-28-2012, 09:34 PM
I'll take a logical stab at the 3 components

1. Fused FAN FAIL by-pass Y (2) 20 amp ATC fuses. Remove Blue module if you still have one. The middle Paired Terminal goes in Blue relay socket (30) the other ends goes to (85) (86).
2. The plain wire jumper is just that. (emergency tool) Keep it in the glovebox for the rare occasion that might call for it. As in RPM relay jumping of the fuel pump (Limp home mode), or A/C low pressure switch by-pass (Diagnostic purposes) Forces he clutch engage in the event refrigerant is to low in the system.
3. Fused jumper with bent terminal spades (Likely a shade tree get you by for fuse 7 (20 amp). Generally the major melted one. It appears to be designed to go in place of the melted fuse. Frankly, if you have to resort to using it. You would be far better off replacing the entire Fuse box with NEW terminals & Fuses.

DMCMW Dave
05-28-2012, 09:40 PM
i am replacing the circuit breakers that came with the kit...they have a silver and copper colour posts...does it matter what way these are installed?...i mean what wire goes to what post? or does it work the same either way?.

The breakers are typically marked "BATT" and "LOAD" or something similar. BATT is the side that goes to the power source e.g. the battery. It will work in reverse but the "breaking" action may be a bit off.

Jonathan
05-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Your finished product should match this fairly closely.