PDA

View Full Version : Engine distributor cap and rotor /wires replacement question

lamboman
05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I have started into the car trying to change the parts out (cap /rotor and wires).clips off the cap,wires dis connected and there is no room to slide the cap off to get it out.How in the world can i do this?i dont want to take the whole intake out and dont have the gaskets to replace anyways.Last time i had this done at a shop they never removed the intake.

deloumis
05-23-2012, 12:55 PM
I have started into the car trying to change the parts out (cap /rotor and wires).clips off the cap,wires dis connected and there is no room to slide the cap off to get it out.How in the world can i do this?i dont want to take the whole intake out and dont have the gaskets to replace anyways.Last time i had this done at a shop they never removed the intake.

Loosen up the 2 screws that hold the mixture unit down on the intake (#5 on diagram). That will give the mixture unit play up and down from the just have alot of patience, take your time, and lift up the unit while you play with the cap to get it off. That's the way I do it, there could be an easier way.

Be careful not to loosen up the small tube at the bottom, don't want to have a huge vacuum leak there.
http://store.delorean.com/c-334-1-4-1-air-induction-system.aspx

dmc6960
05-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Loosen up the 2 screws that hold the mixture unit down on the intake (#5 on diagram). That will give the mixture unit play up and down from the just have alot of patience, take your time, and lift up the unit while you play with the cap to get it off. That's the way I do it, there could be an easier way.

Be careful not to loosen up the small tube at the bottom, don't want to have a huge vacuum leak there.

If you did not buy your Cap from one of the DMC affiliates, you may have a horrible time with this. The DMC affiliates have a cap with a square seat. The cap I'm suspecting you got (based on your electrical component dilemma) probably has a 45º angle seat. That makes this quick method nearly worthless.

stevedmc
05-23-2012, 06:03 PM
If you did not buy your Cap from one of the DMC affiliates, you may have a horrible time with this. The DMC affiliates have a cap with a square seat. The cap I'm suspecting you got (based on your electrical component dilemma) probably has a 45º angle seat. That makes this quick method nearly worthless.

Would it be difficult to replace a cheapo cap with the intake completely out of the way? I'm just asking since I've been thinking about getting a cap and rotor from somewhere like eBay or Autozone.

lamboman
05-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info...i was able to get it removed this way.I unfortunatley during install of new cap heard the contact for the centre (coil wire) fall off and now it is gone...spring still there.It was the same orange cap as what was on the car so i was able to swap the contact but still sucks.

I finally got both clips to snap on that hold the cap on...but i have side to side movement in the cap?it is on correctly from what i can tell and the one alignment tab is correct.There is a plastic insert (clear) that i re used that goes on before the rotor...i installed it with the bubble side facing up if that makes cense.

Thanks again.

dmc6960
05-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Would it be difficult to replace a cheapo cap with the intake completely out of the way? I'm just asking since I've been thinking about getting a cap and rotor from somewhere like eBay or Autozone.

No, it would not be as bad. Just make sure the cap is strait if you get one with a 45 degree seat. And make sure the center button doesn't fall out.

dmc6960
05-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info...i was able to get it removed this way.I unfortunatley during install of new cap heard the contact for the centre (coil wire) fall off and now it is gone...spring still there.It was the same orange cap as what was on the car so i was able to swap the contact but still sucks.

I finally got both clips to snap on that hold the cap on...but i have side to side movement in the cap?it is on correctly from what i can tell and the one alignment tab is correct.There is a plastic insert (clear) that i re used that goes on before the rotor...i installed it with the bubble side facing up if that makes cense.

Thanks again.

Yea, didn't warn you about the center button. Sorry about that, I thought about it, but figured it couldn't happen to a 4th cap. I was wrong about that and I apologize.

Unfortunately if you can still move the cap then something is not right. Are you absolutely sure you got the lower clip fully installed? On the 45deg seat I attempted thi on I could NEVER get it on. I'm sure one could with the intake removed but using this method there it just not enough room or leverage.

A correct square seat cap from DMCMW I can reach back blindly and install in less than 5 minutes.

lamboman
05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I will be using the dmc version cap from now on.

Good news i did get the new cap re seated and it is nice and snug...problem was the inner dust shield not sitting correct...such a tight area makes it a bit of a pain.i had to use the old centre button since the old one is lost forever somewhere in the engine bay.Got the wires on and it started right up but makes a popping sound now and again?...i know i pulled a couple things loose working in that area but i thought i got them back in the correct spot.Not a vaccume leak as the idle is not high.i have nothing to referance a couple plugs that were not in...but i do think some may not have been in before i started this.

Yea, didn't warn you about the center button. Sorry about that, I thought about it, but figured it couldn't happen to a 4th cap. I was wrong about that and I apologize.

Unfortunately if you can still move the cap then something is not right. Are you absolutely sure you got the lower clip fully installed? On the 45deg seat I attempted thi on I could NEVER get it on. I'm sure one could with the intake removed but using this method there it just not enough room or leverage.

A correct square seat cap from DMCMW I can reach back blindly and install in less than 5 minutes.

dmc6960
05-24-2012, 03:34 PM
I do know for sure that there are some combinations (1 & 2) of wires you can swap between cylinders and still have a well running engine, but with the addition of a glowing CAT and slight loss of upper end power. Hows yours? Try to verify that each wire is indeed plugged into the right ports.