PDA

View Full Version : Engine diagnostics plug

marcel
05-24-2012, 11:44 PM
When I bought my car, the diagnostics plug had fallen out of the holder, and melted itself onto the header. I took it off, but the other end had the lead pickup attached to this black piece of metal with two bolt holes in it. I found a picture of the part in the parts manual, but I dont know where it bolts to. I have the car on ramps, but I can't figure out where it came from.

Nicholas R
05-25-2012, 02:33 AM
I cant help you with where it goes but I can tell you that the plug itself is by no means crucial to the operation of the engine. A lot of cars do not have them anymore. Heck, I honestly didn't even know what one looked like until I first saw the raffle car had one. Not sure if I just never noticed before or if there were really that few. Maybe there should be a poll about who has them...

82DMC12
05-25-2012, 08:43 AM
It bolts to the backside of the drivers side head. I would just remove it as it serves no purpose. Keep the orange wire though and put an insulated connector on it. It serves as a very handy dwell meter reading wire.

thirdmanj
05-25-2012, 10:37 AM
I didn't know DeLoreans had a diagnostic plug! Where is it supposed to be located?

DMCMW Dave
05-25-2012, 06:49 PM
I didn't know DeLoreans had a diagnostic plug! Where is it supposed to be located?

Bolted on the back of the driver side head.

http://store.delorean.com/c-280-3-4-1-ignition-components.aspx

#14 and #16

It doesn't do much - power, ground, Lambda Test Signal, and a magnetic flywheel pickup but I can't guarantee there is anything on the flywheel to activate it.