PDA

View Full Version : General Fuel Distributor Problem

Jim Curnane
05-26-2012, 05:37 AM
Hi guys were having a problem with the fuel distributor we have one line that is sending a continuous flow of gas its not pulsating like the others it flooding one cylinder we switched lines to see if it was the injector but its not it did the same thing when we did . My question is can we rebuild the distributor or should we buy a new one we are thinking its a bad spring. ??? Any help would be appreciated . Thanks Jim

Delorean Industries
05-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi guys were having a problem with the fuel distributor we have one line that is sending a continuous flow of gas its not pulsating like the others it flooding one cylinder we switched lines to see if it was the injector but its not it did the same thing when we did . My question is can we rebuild the distributor or should we buy a new one we are thinking its a bad spring. ??? Any help would be appreciated . Thanks Jim

Best to purchase a correct rebuild. Keep in mind as well that not all rebuilds are the same. 15+ units rebuilt ready to ship in stock here.

Jim Curnane
05-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Best to purchase a correct rebuild. Keep in mind as well that not all rebuilds are the same. 15+ units rebuilt ready to ship in stock here.

Thanks for the information but what I would like to know is what would cause this to happen it may not even be the distributor can someone who knows please chime in on this ? Thanks

DMCMW Dave
05-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the information but what I would like to know is what would cause this to happen it may not even be the distributor can someone who knows please chime in on this ? Thanks

Most likely one of the internal o-rings has split and therefore the flow is no longer controlled. The success rate of actually opening one up, fixing it, and getting it put back together where it works and doesn't leak is somewhat less than 50% when done by someone who has never rebuilt one. That's why it is typically suggested to get one that has been professionally rebuilt. The problem with doing it yourself is that if you fail, you may create a worthless $200 core. It might be an expensive experiment. It might work.

Cause? Age (old rubber parts), bad gas, improper assembly, or too strong a dose of carb cleaner.

Jim Curnane
05-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Most likely one of the internal o-rings has split and therefore the flow is no longer controlled. The success rate of actually opening one up, fixing it, and getting it put back together where it works and doesn't leak is somewhat less than 50% when done by someone who has never rebuilt one. That's why it is typically suggested to get one that has been professionally rebuilt. The problem with doing it yourself is that if you fail, you may create a worthless $200 core. It might be an expensive experiment. It might work.

Cause? Age (old rubber parts), bad gas, improper assembly, or too strong a dose of carb cleaner.

Thanks Dave