PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Ruststains on stainless steel

dmcnorway
05-29-2012, 08:05 AM
What is the best way to remove ruststains on the stainless steel?
I see there's some rustdiscoloration in the recess where the old door handles were installed. I'd like to remove the rustdiscoloration before installing new door handles.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN #06759

ccurzio
05-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Carefully sand them out.

DavidProehl
05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Depending on how bad they are, you may be able to use a powder based stainless cleaner like Bar Keeper's Friend to clean them. It is mildly abrasive, it would be a good place to start before moving to something that could damage the grain if a mistake is made.

EarlHickey
05-29-2012, 12:52 PM
What is the best way to remove ruststains on the stainless steel?
I see there's some rustdiscoloration in the recess where the old door handles were installed. I'd like to remove the rustdiscoloration before installing new door handles.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN #06759

It is best to never subject stainless to things which break it's rust inhibiting skin.

Once food grade stainless ever oxidizes with anything other than light surface scale, it's never the same.

Acids or direct contact with ferrous metals.

Steel wool or brushes, blasting or any abrasive medias which have been contaminated by contact with ferrous metals........ etc.

I think it's less than ideal to even use the above which has only been contaminated by contact with aluminum.

Good luck

Rich W
05-29-2012, 01:02 PM
3M ScotchBrite pads will remove most surface rust stains created by adjacent metal parts.

dmcnorway
05-30-2012, 06:09 PM
3M ScotchBrite pads will remove most surface rust stains created by adjacent metal parts.

Thanks Rich, I'll try that.
It looks like the stains have come from some rusted parts (screws/bolts/old window regulator) from inside the door, and then "leaked" through the door handle area...

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

David T
05-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Stainless Steel does not have a "rust inhibiting skin". It is the nature of the S/S to not rust like ordinary steel. While the surface does oxidize, it has no protective effect. S/S can stain and some S/S alloys can corrode, especially in contact with Chlorine. If you do not like going right to sandpaper you can try some mild acetic acid (vinegar). The very first post was the best advice. If you leave wet leaves on a Delorean you can get stains. The best advice (besides not leaving wet leaves on a Delorean) is to do a mild regraining with a Scotch Brite pad. If that doesn;t do it then #80 grit sandpaper will do it.
David Teitelbaum

It is best to never subject stainless to things which break it's rust inhibiting skin.

Once food grade stainless ever oxidizes with anything other than light surface scale, it's never the same.

Acids or direct contact with ferrous metals.

Steel wool or brushes, blasting or any abrasive medias which have been contaminated by contact with ferrous metals........ etc.

I think it's less than ideal to even use the above which has only been contaminated by contact with aluminum.

Good luck