PDA

View Full Version : General Temporary binnacle fix/covers?

lamboman
06-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I was wondering what some members have done to temporary improve the appearance of the binnacle?i have a crack right down the middle.i ordered a dash mat but it was not for a delorean when it arrived lol so i am waiting on another .I know dmc is working on one apparently to be done in the next few months?.anyways until then how can i hide this dash crack?...i am not a fan of the upholstered ones and hope i can get a good replacement in the very near future.

mluder
06-01-2012, 04:46 PM
I was wondering what some members have done to temporary improve the appearance of the binnacle?i have a crack right down the middle.i ordered a dash mat but it was not for a delorean when it arrived lol so i am waiting on another .I know dmc is working on one apparently to be done in the next few months?.anyways until then how can i hide this dash crack?...i am not a fan of the upholstered ones and hope i can get a good replacement in the very near future.

I believe DMC CA had a leather covered one available for a while... Not sure if they still have them.

Otherwise the ne manufactured original appearance once will be available in two weeks at DCS.

Cheers.
Steve

stevedmc
06-01-2012, 05:05 PM

DMCH sells a cheap dash repalcement that costs about $230 (I think). Its not the best but it is low cost and is better than a cracked dash. Your best bet is to have your dash recovered but some people have reported it costing over $300. I replaced my cracked dash with one of the DMCH (it was thrown in free when I purchased my car) and am somewhat satisfied. Several studs did break upon installation.

When I get around to it I am going to attempt to refurbish my original dash with materials such as bondo, fiberglass, paint, and reinstall it. The original dashes are much better quality than the plastic ones being sold by DMCH.

If you want a temporary solution to make things look better just buy you a dash mat made for the Delorean. They only cost about $30 and can be ordered from most vendors.

Edit: I thought he was also talking about dash board but I was wrong. Don't hold your breath waiting for a DMCH binnacle. Most of us don't believe they are ever going to happen.

Nick774
06-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I had reskinned the black dash in my car which was faded and had a large crack down the middle as well. Went to Jo Ans fabric and picked up 2 yards of alpine black vinyl and it couldnt have come out better. I filled the crack with resin and sanded it down flush and level. I reccomend this to anyone who doesnt want to drop 300 on a replacement. This looks just as nice, possibly better, and the grain is spot on with the rest of the leather in the car. Very easy to install just cut out a pattern with the dash, spray the dash with 3M adhesive and staple the edges back underneath where they wont be visible. Im told they also sell this in a grey that matches perfectly as well.1077010771107721077310774

mluder
06-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Edit: I thought he was also talking about dash board but I was wrong. Don't hold your breath waiting for a DMCH binnacle. Most of us don't believe they are ever going to happen.

Why do you think I threw that last bit in there? It was totally to bait you, Steve.

Cheers
Steve

lamboman
06-02-2012, 09:39 AM
so either upholster it or wait for a replacement that may never happen?.what is the one going to be at DCS with original appearance?.is there any quick cover up ideas other then a dash mat i can use until i get a proper replacement?.

stevedmc
06-02-2012, 11:44 AM
so either upholster it or wait for a replacement that may never happen?.what is the one going to be at DCS with original appearance?

There will probably be one or two at DCS just for display purposes. DMCH seems to enjoy teasing people with them. DMCH showed the new binnacles last year at an open house event and claimed the were coming soon. A young whipper snapper at DMCH guaranteed they would be for sale at DCS which is only weeks away. I would just get yours recovered or try to refurbish it yourself with some bondo and fiberglass.

ccurzio
06-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Don't hold your breath waiting for a DMCH binnacle. Most of us don't believe they are ever going to happen.

A massive overstatement if there ever was one.

Kenny_Z
06-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Im told they also sell this in a grey that matches perfectly as well.

Yep, there is, Alpine Gray Vinyl.

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/int02.jpg

stevedmc
06-02-2012, 12:41 PM
A massive overstatement if there ever was one.

Based on this poll people aren't expecting to see binnacles any time soon from DMCH.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3507-Will-DMCH-have-binnacles-for-sale-by-DCS-2012&highlight=dmch+binnacle

ccurzio
06-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Based on this poll people aren't expecting to see binnacles any time soon from DMCH.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3507-Will-DMCH-have-binnacles-for-sale-by-DCS-2012&highlight=dmch+binnacle

Call me crazy but I think there are more than 25 users on this forum.

I personally believe Houston will start selling them soon. In time for DCS? Maybe, maybe not. But they're not making prototypes to "tease" people. They genuinely want to make the part available.

I just hope it's of equal quality as compared to the original part. Luckily my own stock binnacle is in perfect shape, but it'd be nice to know that a comparable replacement is available.

stevedmc
06-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Call me crazy but I think there are more than 25 users on this forum.

Its a shame the 1,597 other members never contribute anything to the forum. I've found that many people don't say what is on their mind for fear of being blacklisted. I know this because several people have said this to my face.

thirdmanj
06-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Its a shame the 1,597 other members never contribute anything to the forum. I've found that many people don't say what is on their mind for fear of being blacklisted. I know this because several people have said this to my face.

Why's it gotta be black?

David T
06-03-2012, 09:17 PM
If you don't want to wait and it bothers you, a fast and cheap solution is a dash pad cover.
David Teitelbaum

stevedmc
06-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Why's it gotta be black?

Its not. The typical delorean owner is white, nerdy, and male. I don't know of any black delorean owners except for this guy and frankly, he isn't an owner anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRTiZxNSjow

Squall67584
06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Good god that was hilarious... and sad that he would make that much of a fool of himself on TV. The MJ moves were the icing on the cake.

stevedmc
06-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Good god that was hilarious... and sad that he would make that much of a fool of himself on TV. The MJ moves were the icing on the cake.

Just imagine how he would have acted if the car had a new DMCH binnacle in it.

Martyn
06-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Hheee,hee.......check out me and my bad car!!!.
It's bad....It's Dangerous......It's off the wall.
Hheee,hee.
Cha'mon

dmc6960
06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
If you really want a quick fix...

Cut off all excess vinyl around the cracked areas. Get a small amount of expanding foam around the cracked areas. Yes, the smallest can you can get will be way overkill for this. Sand down to be roughly smooth with the remaining intact vinyl. Dye liberally with SEM Medium Slate Gray or Acura Charcoal Gray.

If I had one more day available last week I would have done this myself. Unfortunately the time came and PAST which I had to have everything back together, so my nice freshly dyed dashboard is now sharply contrasted by my severely cracked and browned binnacle.