PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Gas Flap Hood

jafo2k
06-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Looking for dent free only. Already got one with dents. :biggrin:

ccurzio
06-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Depending on the severity, I suspect there's a possibility that it might cost less to have your dents repaired than to find a completely new hood.

Then again, I could also be talking out of my ass. I don't think so though.

Nicholas R
06-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Depending on the severity, I suspect there's a possibility that it might cost less to have your dents repaired than to find a completely new hood.

I agree; there are people that can work wonders with stainless. If people can fill in antenna fender holes like it was never there, they should be able to do dents.

jafo2k
06-07-2012, 08:37 PM

It could be fixed. Or so I think.. however stainless steel repair is not available in Nova Scotia.. not that I could find. Damage is hail damage.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
At the ODOC tech day there was a guy who used to work at a DeLorean dealership back in the 80s. It might be cheaper to send it to him and have him repair it. What does a used hood go for nowadays anyways?

Shep
06-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Then again, I could also be talking out of my ass. I don't think so though.I'm starting to get the "hood X" on my D, and DPI Josh said it would cost $6,500 to repair if I went through him. If it weren't for the fact that my hood is unique among all DeLoreans, I'd actually consider a replacement, but now I'm going to try a DIY repair. My point is, stainless steel repair can be quite expensive depending on the various factors, including the depth of the dent, the size, even who you take it to and how much experience they have with DeLoreans in general. However, being in Nova Scotia, it's worth looking to see if nearby Maine would have anything, even with customs and whatnot. Not sure if you thought of that or tried it already, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

It wouldn't hurt to take pictures of the dents (ruler nearby for sizing) and send them off to one of the DMC locations (or DPI) to see what they would charge for the repair, and base it off of that. Not trying to stop you from buying a gas flap hood or anything though.

DeloreanJoshQ
06-07-2012, 11:30 PM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2663-Gas-Flap-Hood-2500

AFAIK, its still for sale....

mluder
06-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Have you thought about some one who does stailess repair for the restaurant industry? Commercial kitchens are full of the stuff and there's got to be some one who knows how to remove dents.

Cheers.
Steve

jafo2k
06-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Have you thought about some one who does stailess repair for the restaurant industry? Commercial kitchens are full of the stuff and there's got to be some one who knows how to remove dents.

Cheers.
Steve

Tired.. not much luck.

DrJeff
06-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Just curious if anyone ever tried converting a non-gas flap hood to a gas flap hood?

Jeff
#6313 - grooved hood

dvonk
06-09-2012, 09:04 AM
its been done before, really cool if you ask me... not sure how much it would cost though:

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.aspx?PageType=Delorean_Repairs&ShowContent=Project_8_Installation_Fuel_Flap.html

fnzen
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2663-Gas-Flap-Hood-2500

AFAIK, its still for sale....

Thanks for the plug Josh! Yep still for sale! shoot me a pm if interested