PDA

View Full Version : General Trip to the birthplace of my DeLorean!

John U
06-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Just found out that I am going to Dublin (130km from Belfast) in August for a week....I want to go see the site of the DeLorean factory for sure! Anybody have any other travel tips on what to see and do? Maybe I could get a personally signed copy of Nick's book while I'm there :wink:

Thanks
John

DrJeff
06-07-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm in N.Ireland at the moment on vacation and would like to go see the site, especially the test track. You can see it on Google earth at the North East end of the Dunmurry Industrial Estate. I'll be over by Belfast early next week.

Anyone have a contact at the site?

Dangermouse
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
I would suggest contacting Robert Lamrock (Roberto on this site)

http://dmctalk.org/member.php?428-Roberto

He is in contact with the folks at Montupet, the current occupiers, but I wouldn't hold my breath about getting onto the track. They are great about giving access during Eurofest, but obviously they have a day-to-day business to run.

You may want to hit up the owners at www.delorean.ie in case there is some sort of get-to-gether going on while you are there.

tjd
06-07-2012, 11:39 AM
What a great opportunity. I think it would be cool to see the factory complex even if you don't have access to the test track. I'm sure something has got to be visible from a public road. I'd so do this if I had the opportunity.

Dangermouse
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Not sure how much you can see from the street. Much of it is bounded by a railway embankment.

John & Jeff - some suggestions:

Bushmills Distillery in the North of the province at Bushmills, obviously
Titanic Quarter in Belfast to see where the ship was built
Ulster Folk & Transport museum in Cultra, to the east of Belfast, to see the DeLorean 50000 mile test car
Take a drive up the scenic North coast road

I'll think up a couple more.

Andy
06-08-2012, 03:19 AM
You should also contact Joseph (or Joe) Murray ; he used to work for DeLorean and he can tell for hours and hours about Deloreans. He lives in Dunmurry and his son has a garage just near the old factory and testtrack ...

If you contact Robert Lamrock, also ask to get in contact with Joe, you'll be surprised how many DeLoreanstories he has to tell ...

John U
06-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the tips....I'm really looking forward to the trip!

John

Lenny
06-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Just found out that I am going to Dublin (130km from Belfast) in August for a week....I want to go see the site of the DeLorean factory for sure! Anybody have any other travel tips on what to see and do? Maybe I could get a personally signed copy of Nick's book while I'm there :wink:

Thanks
John

So, you're going to canada? Thats where everyone tells me they were built :hysterical:

Grover
06-08-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd post on the Euro/Ireland boards. When I went there a few years ago Robert arranged a tour of the track (the facility was closed for the ONE day a year they do fire testing), and a bunch of local owners came out. It was a great time with a great bunch of people. Just post that you are going to be there and see if anyone is around to meet up.

KMC-DMC
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Thanks
John

These are photos of what to expect if you get to visit the factory site. I was able to get into the Montupet car park at the time but the gates might be closed now.
http://classic.kodakgallery.com/mccannuk/main/belfast_08

If you plan to visit the Titanic exhibition I advise you to book in advance.