PDA

View Full Version : General Custom made LED third brake light

Bitsyncmaster
06-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I used the Corvette housing but made my own LED board to mount 106 LEDs. I had the LEDs in strings of 4 running a constant current of 30 ma per sting. But I backed it down to 20 or 25 ma per string because it was just to bright. It's been a while since I built this but here are the photos I have.

dvonk
06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
very bright! 8)

Fluxat88MPH
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
I used the Corvette housing but made my own LED board to mount 106 LEDs. I had the LEDs in strings of 4 running a constant current of 30 ma per sting. But I backed it down to 20 or 25 ma per string because it was just to bright. It's been a while since I built this but here are the photos I have.

I have a corvette third break light but want to set it up to use LED's. I would be interested in a board like that to put in mine. Seen it in person at DCS12 and it looked amazing!

Bitsyncmaster
06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
I have a corvette third break light but want to set it up to use LED's. I would be interested in a board like that to put in mine. Seen it in person at DCS12 and it looked amazing!

The parts for my board probably cost $100. So I did not think I could recover my board set up charges to produce a PCB by only selling a few. It also would take a few hours to solder those components on the board. I probably spent 50 hours hand wiring my prototype board.

Ozzie
06-22-2012, 08:09 PM

I have that same 3rd Brake Light, it came with G4 halogens and I converted them to LEDs (pic on right).
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=11349&d=1340409755

If you're interested in these:
They are bright enough to get the job done,
Run cool (halogens are very hot),
Draw much less current than the halogen versions.
Cost between $3-$4 each (shipping extra).

You can find those LEDs on ebay, if you search for: G4 LED

john 05141
06-25-2012, 05:04 AM
This is a picture I took when Dave pressed the brake pedal.
I certainly looks so bright for real.

I ordered that same Corvette brake light, and it should have LED's already. We'll see how bright that is.

John

john 05141
07-02-2012, 04:52 AM
The louvre is bent too much to just use double sided tape to install the 3rd brake light So I will have to drill holes which I am not fond of at all.
So grind the shape as Dave suggested will not be possible as the lid on the bottom is quite thin and sealed with silicone.

I see every Delorean with this 3rd brake light on the top shelf of the louvre. I put it on the second shelf and does not look so bad at all. Advantages are the shelf is not as round and double sided tape could be an option. If I have to make holes, they will not be as visible, neither is the unit itself. pictures....

Another thing is that I will sand the thing and give it a coating of sem black, becasue it is very shiney.
I was also looking to do a test, and guess what, the wires are gone. It was made by the PO and there is a little box where they depart from. (kind of a relay) can I just connect a wire from one of both stoplights?

John

Bitsyncmaster
07-02-2012, 04:59 AM
The louvre is bent too much to just use double sided tape to install the 3rd brake light So I will have to drill holes which I am not fond of at all.
So grind the shape as Dave suggested will not be possible as the lid on the bottom is quite thin and sealed with silicone.

I see every Delorean with this 3rd brake light on the top shelf of the louvre. I put it on the second shelf and does not look so bad at all. Advantages are the shelf is not as round and double sided tape could be an option. If I have to make holes, they will not be as visible, neither is the unit itself. pictures....

Another thing is that I will sand the thing and give it a coating of sem black, becasue it is very shiney.
I was also looking to do a test, and guess what, the wires are gone. It was made by the PO and there is a little box where they depart from. (kind of a relay) can I just connect a wire from one of both stoplights?

John

That does not look like the same unit I got. Mine is a cast metal and the sanding to shape was sanding that metal where it contacts the surface. The photos Ozzie posted look like mine.

Andy
07-02-2012, 05:10 AM

John

There's one guy in Belgium who simply stuck a third brakelight to his rearwindow (-> Philiep) so you can see it through the louvres. I don't see the point why you should stick it on top of the louvres or drill any holes in it ?

Dangermouse
07-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Does anyone know if there is a legal limit to the brightness (in lumens, say) of brake lights?

I ask, because I was behind a new model Camry last night at a set of lights and it had LED brake lights so bright you couldn't look at them. Not sure if they were OEM or not, but it looked like a current model car, so I assumed they were.

and on the "light"er side:

http://chzmusic.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/music-fails-night-light.jpg

Notifier
07-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Does anyone know if there is a legal limit to the brightness (in lumens, say) of brake lights?

I ask, because I was behind a new model Camry last night at a set of lights and it had LED brake lights so bright you couldn't look at them. Not sure if they were OEM or not, but it looked like a current model car, so I assumed they were.

and on the "light"er side:

http://chzmusic.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/music-fails-night-light.jpg

Probably would depend on the state you are in. From the State of Delaware Title 21 Chapter 43 "No stop lamp or signal lamp or device shall project a glaring light". So define "glaring light".

Looking into their law, they even state that no vehicle should have no more then two backup lamps. My 99 Grand Am had 4 from the factory!

dmc3130
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
This is were I put mine. Totaly out of sight from the rearview mirror. 1185511855

john 05141
07-30-2012, 06:50 AM
I have the wires ready, the unity is ready, but I did not attach it yet. Double sided tape will not help as the louvre bends on the top shelf and the unit is straicht. This means I have to drill holes into the louvre to be attached properly and the unit to bends a bit with the louvre.
Just can not drill those holes..... I guess I need some time to think it over.
I might rebuild that unit I once made for just above the licence plate,it was not powerfull enough.

John