PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed Who makes a good leather shift boot?

1batt4u
06-25-2012, 11:24 PM
I remember there was a website that sells good quality soft leather boots for the shifter?

Anyone know the website??

AdmiralSenn
06-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Only one I know of is DMCH...

Not sure if you're just price shopping, but I was more than happy to pay the cost they charged for mine. It's an exact reproduction of the original with a metal clip cage instead of plastic. It made my center console look.. well, like it was brand new again.

DMC3165
06-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Only one I know of is DMCH...

Not sure if you're just price shopping, but I was more than happy to pay the cost they charged for mine. It's an exact reproduction of the original with a metal clip cage instead of plastic. It made my center console look.. well, like it was brand new again.

Yeah I agree with this. I'm not a real big fan of dmch parts buy their shift boot is a real nice replacement. Had it for 2 years now and its holding up well.

jawn101
06-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Check this out - Redline Goods makes custom boots, but they don't have one for the DeLorean. What they DO have is a very generous offer by which if you send them your old stock boot, they will make new ones up based on it and send you a brand new one for free provided you give them detailed installation instructions with photos. This obviously would only apply to the first person to take advantage of the offer...

http://www.redlinegoods.com/notsupported2.php

Edit: Also, FWIW I have the Houston one and it's very nice. Good quality leather and looks correct.

Double Edit: Gah! Redline has the DeLorean listed under GMC!!! What the hell. So the free boot is off the table, but here's another source at least.... http://www.redlinegoods.com/Deloreanshiftboot.php

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
I bought mine from Grady for about $70. I'm very happy with it.

1batt4u
06-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys!!

I really don't look at the price, I look at quality and if I like it!

Just looking for a good quality leather boot, all black, including the stitching!! I hate when I see black boots with white stitching!!

Dangermouse
06-26-2012, 01:44 PM
.... a contented cow

jawn101
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
.... a contented cow

hiyo!

I've heard good things about these guys.... http://www.bowleather.co.uk ;)

1batt4u
09-06-2012, 05:07 PM
I just got DMCH shift boot!!

I compared it with what was on my car. The new boot is way bigger, taller and fuller than the old one! If you look under the new one is not glued properly, looks like they used cheap glue!! Sucks!! The old one is still glued on really good, strong!!!

Was wondering since it is bigger, will it interfere with shifting, that extra leather material??

sdg3205
09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
I have the dmch one as well. My glue is fine. That's odd.

No problem shifting

jawn101
09-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Agreed, I find the DMCH boot to be of very nice quality and built well. Way nicer than the original one, and not just due to age. Maybe you got a dud.

1batt4u
09-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Agreed, I find the DMCH boot to be of very nice quality and built well. Way nicer than the original one, and not just due to age. Maybe you got a dud.

Its funny cause a couple of stuff I have bought from them turn out to be duds.

r00b
09-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I know what you mean.

gongloo
10-01-2012, 11:44 AM
The new DMCH shift boot that I got is oversized as well! The glue on it certainly isn't the best, either.

My biggest concern is the size -- I'd really like something that fits a bit better. Might try hacking it up a little (cut off an inch or so from the bottom?) and re-glueing it but right now I've got other priorities.

AirmanPika
10-01-2012, 04:22 PM
I have the DMCH boot and its fine. As for it being taller...are you guys sure the old one hasn't just shrunk down a bit from age? You know...the same process that makes our seats stretch tight and then split?

mluder
10-01-2012, 04:55 PM
FWIW I also have the DMCH one and it fits just fine. It's supposed to be tall so that it pushes itself up towards the knob.

The only issue I had with mine was too much glue on the frame area with stuck the leather to the top of the frame as well as the underside. It looked funny installes so I carefully released it from the glue on the top of the metal frame and now it sits fine.

I also have some stiching workin gloose now and I've only had it about a year - that's disapointing but one person's experience is hardly indicative of a poor product accross the board.

Cheers
Steve

Bikercmbc
10-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I just purchased one a few weeks ago from dmch, and I also purchased one for my other car about 4 years ago. both metal brackets but the two are not the same. this new one was really difficult to get in and had to pry the edges out for it to stay cause the boot leather was so thick it wouldnt snap and stay in place. plus the opening was way too big on the top near the shifter and it just falls down below the shifter ball. it works but wasnt the quality of the one i purchased years ago or as easy to install.

ldyamathyste
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
I do alot of leather working and have everything I need so am going to try and make my own. I'll let you know how it turns out! Have to deal with the existing plastic clip - a shiny new metal one would be nicer and not so warpy. If all else fails I'll probably end up with one of the DMCH ones.

TTait
01-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Was wondering since it is bigger, will it interfere with shifting, that extra leather material??

Yes, it can. Especially trying to shift into reverse. You may have to grind down the frame to even get it into reverse.

Chris 16409
01-19-2013, 12:49 PM
I do alot of leather working and have everything I need so am going to try and make my own. I'll let you know how it turns out! Have to deal with the existing plastic clip - a shiny new metal one would be nicer and not so warpy. If all else fails I'll probably end up with one of the DMCH ones.

At one time Grady sold his stainless boot bracket by itself. Call and see if he has any.

SS Spoiler
01-19-2013, 03:37 PM
I think I got a boot from Delorean One with the metal frame 21 years ago and It's still in great shape.

Paul Cerny # 2691

Nicholas R
01-19-2013, 05:04 PM
I think he's looking for vendors that still exist.

Ryan King
01-19-2013, 05:12 PM
I think he's looking for vendors that still exist.

:aniclap:

Delorean02378
06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
So I went through the thread and there are mixed reviews. I need one for 10989 and I'm trying to figure out where to purchase.
The one I have on 15500 is perfect and I believe Rob installed it when the previous owner took the car to him. With that said, I know Rob gets some of his parts from Hervey, some from Houston and some he outsources locally.

Suggestions?

Tom N. where did you get yours from and are you happy with it?

Here's a picture of the one on 15500.

Mike F
06-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I installed the DMC one a few weeks ago. It did require a bit of tweaking on the bracket in order to get the tabs to lock in place, but nothing that I felt was too unreasonable. Once that was all done it actually fit quite well and I think looks pretty nice.

Delorean02378
06-21-2013, 02:09 PM
I installed the DMC one a few weeks ago. It did require a bit of tweaking on the bracket in order to get the tabs to lock in place, but nothing that I felt was too unreasonable. Once that was all done it actually fit quite well and I think looks pretty nice.

That does look nice. Amazing how that one piece can make such a difference on the whole interior.

I just noticed the thread/stitching is a different color on mine. Hummmm

Chris 16409
06-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Ruben here on the forum just got one from RedLineGoods and said that it was nice. He bought a stainless bracket from Grady.

DMC1983
06-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Check this out - Redline Goods makes custom boots, but they don't have one for the DeLorean. What they DO have is a very generous offer by which if you send them your old stock boot, they will make new ones up based on it and send you a brand new one for free provided you give them detailed installation instructions with photos. This obviously would only apply to the first person to take advantage of the offer...

http://www.redlinegoods.com/notsupported2.php

Edit: Also, FWIW I have the Houston one and it's very nice. Good quality leather and looks correct.

Double Edit: Gah! Redline has the DeLorean listed under GMC!!! What the hell. So the free boot is off the table, but here's another source at least.... http://www.redlinegoods.com/Deloreanshiftboot.php

It's not listed under GMC

jawn101
06-25-2013, 09:40 AM
It's not listed under GMC

Well it was a year ago :)

GS450-Junkie
10-26-2014, 12:07 PM
plus the opening was way too big on the top near the shifter and it just falls down below the shifter ball. jkh

Just bought one of these, and this was my question. Is it just supposed to sit up against the ball itself or how does it get secured?

cybercusp
10-26-2014, 01:23 PM
You can use a zip tie under the shift boot to keep it from falling down...install the shift boot then lift it up inside out over the ball so you have access to the stickshift..tighten a black zip tie around the shaft then pull the boot back down; now you should be able to hold the boot at any height you want by sliding the zip tie up or down.

GS450-Junkie
10-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Hey thanks! Now what about a shifter ball that faces the passenger door?

DMCMW Dave
10-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Aim it the right way and tighten the lock nut under the ball. If the locknut isissing add one.

Sent from phone

PJ Grady Inc.
10-26-2014, 04:08 PM
So I went through the thread and there are mixed reviews. I need one for 10989 and I'm trying to figure out where to purchase.
The one I have on 15500 is perfect and I believe Rob installed it when the previous owner took the car to him. With that said, I know Rob gets some of his parts from Hervey, some from Houston and some he outsources locally.

Suggestions?

Tom N. where did you get yours from and are you happy with it?

Here's a picture of the one on 15500.
Hi Kirk,
I know this is an old question but the thread is current so I'd like to belatedly say we still sell our shift boot and the patten is a duplicate of an NOS Delorean boot with a custom "slimline" stainless frame to keep the boot from chafing like the original and some of the other reproduction boots. I trim and bond the boot to the frame myself and believe the boot assembly to be the best one out there by far. Like all our products if you're not happy you can get a refund but everyone seems to love them so far in the twenty odd years we've sold them (never a return!). There's a picture of it on our new website but I could post it here if someone would rather not surf for it.
Rob Grady

Delorean02378
10-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks Rob. Good to know yours are available. I love the one you put on 15500 many years ago and it still looks brand new.

papanoel
10-27-2014, 01:23 PM

I compared it with what was on my car. The new boot is way bigger, taller and fuller than the old one! If you look under the new one is not glued properly, looks like they used cheap glue!! Sucks!! The old one is still glued on really good, strong!!!

I have a shift boot on mine that appears to be an old DMCH boot. It intereferes with going into reverse. i have to pull the leather up half the time.

Flash66
10-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Aim it the right way and tighten the lock nut under the ball. If the locknut isissing add one.

Sent from phone

M8 X 1.25 nut. Just installed one in the Lowe's parking lot ;)