PDA

View Full Version : blank quote blocks?

Farrar
07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Is anyone else reporting blank quote blocks? They seem to be the right size, but there's no text in them. FWIW, I am running FireFox 13.0.1 under Ubuntu Linux 11.04. Thanks!

Ron
07-02-2012, 07:44 AM
First I've heard about it....Is this just while you are editing or ??
I assume this is new but you haven't changed your software?
I can't find an example in your posts -- try quoting the this message.

Farrar
07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
First I've heard about it....Is this just while you are editing or ??
I assume this is new but you haven't changed your software?
I can't find an example in your posts -- try quoting the this message.

OK.

I will also attach a screenshot...

Thanks!
Farrar

ccurzio
07-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Definitely not a problem with the forum. I suspect it's something on your box. Can you view ANY italic text on the forums?

Try rebuilding your font cache. Kill X, log in as root, and do:

fc-cache -f -v

Then restart X and see if the problem is fixed.

P.S.: Stop using Fisher-Price Linux Distributions. ;)

Farrar
07-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Try rebuilding your font cache. Kill X, log in as root, and do:

fc-cache -f -v

Then restart X and see if the problem is fixed.

Worked! Thanks.

P.S.: Stop using Fisher-Price Linux Distributions. ;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Slackware, Fedora, Redhat, Mandrake, Damn Small Linux, etc. -- I've tried a bunch of them, and I prefer the version that installs properly.

And people wonder why desktop Linux has yet to catch on... *rolls eyes*

ccurzio
07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm a Slackware man myself, and I have been for nearly fifteen years now. If you're really into Linux you should give it another shot. There's really no reason it should have ever failed to "install properly". What was the issue?

FYI, I don't know if you're familiar with how Ubuntu got its name. The word "UBUNTU" is actually an ancient African word that (roughly) translates as "I can't configure Slackware." :P

In all seriousness, I'm happy to help with any questions you have.

Farrar
07-03-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm a Slackware man myself, and I have been for nearly fifteen years now. If you're really into Linux you should give it another shot. There's really no reason it should have ever failed to "install properly". What was the issue?

Screen goes blank during video config. (And nothing but nothing happens after that.)

I had OpenSuse on my laptop for a while, until I updated Grub... which then stopped my machine from booting. :lol:

Even the latest Ubuntu locks up before booting to the GUI from the "Live" CD/DVD, which is why I am still running 11.04.

I like experimenting, but my desktop machine I use for work, so it has to be up and running 24/7. The laptop (2004-era Dell) I can play around with.

Bitsyncmaster
07-03-2012, 05:55 AM
I guess I was the only one that had problems getting on DMCtalk yesterday. Durring the day and evening It could not connect to DMCtalk.org.

May be just the power problems we have in this area after the storms last Friday.

ccurzio
07-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Screen goes blank during video config. (And nothing but nothing happens after that.)

How long ago was this? The video configuration is essentially running X -configure so depending on the version that you're running (and whatever bizarro hardware you have installed) it should be able to break out and continue. Did you at least try a CTRL+C to see if you could kill it?

But I do agree that "desktop Linux" is a pipe dream. That's why I use Macs. :)

I guess I was the only one that had problems getting on DMCtalk yesterday. Durring the day and evening It could not connect to DMCtalk.org.

May be just the power problems we have in this area after the storms last Friday.

Nope, not your (or your network's) fault. The servers responsible for pointing you to dmctalk.org changed last week but since they aren't configured properly there have been issues. I'd been unable to access the site since Thursday, at least up until last night. I did some troubleshooting and I'm working with Tamir to get a message to the hosting company.