PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop the car leaking when it rains

sadeeky
07-12-2012, 07:18 AM
I have relaced all the rubber seals in the car brand new and also had the T- Panel adjusted and the rain still gets in when I am driving. I am thinking its the Black sunshade piece over the windshield. Maybe that is where the water is coming in because it leaks where the dome light is. Anyone know or experience this before? If possible can someone share some pictures of where the leak can come from.

Thanks

dmc6960
07-12-2012, 10:15 AM
If its leaking by the dome light, then its most likely your windshield seal which is bad. My car was like this, as has been many others I've worked with. The permanent fix is a windshield replacement; but don't worry, you don't actually have to do that. If you remove the trim piece on top of the windshield you can apply a sealant between the glass and the stainless steel retainer strip. Windshield urethane would probably be best, but since its not a structural seal your making there (this has already been compromised if you have the leak) a silicone would work as well. Get a little bit sealing up all the screws up there as well.

DMCMW Dave
07-12-2012, 11:05 AM
If its leaking by the dome light, then its most likely your windshield seal which is bad. .

It's a huge PITA but you'll get a better seal if you remove the stainless strip and the lay a bead of sealant (use windshield adhesive, NOT Silicone RTV!) across the back edge of the glass. Make sure you remove any loose windshield adhesive. This generally involves drilling out the screws and replacing them, but often the screw holes are the leak. Use stainless screws to replace them.

The reason I don't like silicone here is that it makes it hard for windshield urethane to stick when you finally do the right repair.

sadeeky
07-12-2012, 11:24 AM
If its leaking by the dome light, then its most likely your windshield seal which is bad. My car was like this, as has been many others I've worked with. The permanent fix is a windshield replacement; but don't worry, you don't actually have to do that. If you remove the trim piece on top of the windshield you can apply a sealant between the glass and the stainless steel retainer strip. Windshield urethane would probably be best, but since its not a structural seal your making there (this has already been compromised if you have the leak) a silicone would work as well. Get a little bit sealing up all the screws up there as well.

Awesome thanks but how do you remove the trim piece on top of the windshield? (The Black strip right over the windshield right?)

jawn101
07-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Awesome thanks but how do you remove the trim piece on top of the windshield? (The Black strip right over the windshield right?)

Peel back the outer door seal and remove the 3 (or was it 4?) screws on each side. It will lift out.

82DMC12
07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
I think there are three stubby screws on each side under the door weatherstripping.

dmc6960
07-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Use a good solid bit on those screws too, and clean off all the adhesive from them. They will be in there really tight and the heads will probably want to strip. With a good solid driver (not mangled at all) and a lot of pressure you should be able to break them free.

bozzzydmc
07-12-2012, 02:29 PM
sharp tap on the screwdriver with a hammer to loosen any rust on the screw thread and to seat the 'bit' into the head works for me most times too

sadeeky
07-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Thanks everybody truly appreciated. I am gonna try it this weekend