PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Spark Plug Wire Upgrade

mluder
07-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Looking for a bit of advice on replaving spark plug wires...

I know that DMCH sells Nology plug wires as well as standard sets.

If I have an original engine, will I see any benefit from a $250 set of wires vs an $85 set.

Cheers.
Steve

dmc6960
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
If I have an original engine, will I see any benefit from a $250 set of wires vs an $85 set.

No.

DMCMW Dave
07-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Houston also sells an 8mm silicone set for $49.95.
http://store.delorean.com/p-10524-wire-set-ign.aspx

mluder
07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Houston also sells an 8mm silicone set for $49.95.
http://store.delorean.com/p-10524-wire-set-ign.aspx

Oh... Missed that one. What's the difference between the $85 dollar set and the $50 dollar set? And if anyone says $35 I swear I'll... :wrenchin:

Cheers
Steve

Cory W
07-20-2012, 07:46 PM
I have the $50 set. Silicone with improved plug boots. I believe the others are identical to NOS in build material and boot design.

I did them as part of a tune up, so cannot speak of any specific improvement in performance. The car DOES rev more readily, but it could be the plugs, or cap & rotor.

What mattered to me is that I can let the car sit in the rain (or spray a hose under the louvers while washing the car) without worrying about water getting in the plug wells. That used to lead to brief sputtering afterwards.

The silicone wire sheathing will also be less susceptible to moisture in the air affecting the wire. It can make a difference.

DMCMW Dave
07-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Oh... Missed that one. What's the difference between the $85 dollar set and the $50 dollar set? And if anyone says $35 I swear I'll... :wrenchin:

Actually it's more like $50.

The $85 set is OE replacement Bougicord made-in-France wires. New New Stock. The coil wire is separate so it's really more like $100 for the set.

The $50 set is 8mm silicone wires and includes the coil wire. IMO they are somewhat harder to install at the coil end. The plug well cover design is quite a bit different. Rather than the little "hat" it is more like a bunch of flaps.

mluder
07-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Actually it's more like $50.

The $85 set is OE replacement Bougicord made-in-France wires. New New Stock. The coil wire is separate so it's really more like $100 for the set.

The $50 set is 8mm silicone wires and includes the coil wire. IMO they are somewhat harder to install at the coil end. The plug well cover design is quite a bit different. Rather than the little "hat" it is more like a bunch of flaps.

I'm not sure what's on my car... I've only had it for a year. Prior to that work was done by DMCNW. They look similar to this with yellow indicator numbers on them...
http://store.delorean.com/p-6873-wire-set-ign.aspx

My coil wire has a braided stainless cover.

I don't know how old they are but they look in pretty good shape. Is there some physical indicator for if they need to be changed?

Cheers
Steve

DMCMW Dave
07-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Usually if the coil wire is braided it is an original wire.

David T
07-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Typically the more you spend the longer the wires will last, they will all work the same when new. The more expensive wires do not give you better performance, only longevity. Wires with no resistance (no carbon core) will cause more interference with the radio.
David Teitelbaum

mluder
07-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Typically the more you spend the longer the wires will last, they will all work the same when new. The more expensive wires do not give you better performance, only longevity. Wires with no resistance (no carbon core) will cause more interference with the radio.
David Teitelbaum

Is there some way to know what wires I have and there chracteristics?

Steve