PDA

View Full Version : General Car from your past

Jimmyvonviggle
07-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Hi all. Just want to pose a question. Did any of you have a car from your past that you had to give up for any reason ( financial, divorce, other life circumstances). And if you had the opportunity today to re buy that car today would you?

The reason I ask is because I had a car that I was unable to work on because I just didn't have the money at the time, being a new homeowner and parent, so I had to get rid of it. At that time there was no Internet. I always felt it was a project I wanted to finish but never got the chance. Now I have the opportunity to buy the same car for cheap, and just wondering if I should pull the trigger?

Any thoughts, or should I just focus on my D.

Citizen
07-30-2012, 06:58 PM
... Did any of you have a car from your past that you had to give up for any reason ( financial, divorce, other life circumstances). And if you had the opportunity today to re buy that car today would you?

Yes, I had to give one up (a 72 Challenger), and yes I had a chance to buy it back later, but didn't do it (thought the price was too high).

If the chance came again, and the price were right (and the car wasn't trashed), I'd buy it back in a New York minute (which must be pretty-dang fast, for a guy living in Texas).

Thomas

Chris Burns
07-30-2012, 07:35 PM
I think about my first car sometimes (1982 BMW 320i). I would've kept it, but at the time I was starting college, the car needed a lot of work, and we decieded to get a newer car. Wasn't a bad deal for 1500 bucks and I got to be cool for a few years! :thumbup:

The only way I would own one again is if I already owned a Delorean and had some extra money for another car. I have included an old pic of me with my car. They aren't bad cars. I'm just holding out for a Delorean :biggrin:

I am 17 yrs old in this picture on my way to my first job back when I just had my permit.

Dracula
07-30-2012, 08:17 PM
There are a lot of cars I'm still sentimental about that I've sold over the years; being in the used car field does that to you... In the end, if you want to keep the car or find that you regret owning the car, decide if the money was better spent and if you would be happier with the car instead. That works well for me. If the car would've made you happier, then buy it back and enjoy.

timothymoore
07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
i remember when i was 18, i drove a 1994 extended cab ford ranger that my dad had given me. my step dad co signed on a loan to get me a 2003 ford ranger 4 cylinder. i wanted to keep my 94 because it was my first vehicle and i wanted to fixit up, but only working @ 7 or so an hour with a 300 dollar car payment at the time i couldnt do it so i traded it in and only got 500 for it. about 3 years later i drove down a back road and saw what i thought was a ranger like my old one just sitting under someones tree in the front yard. no one was home so i pulled in and to my suprise it was my old one. i knew because it still had a piss on chevy sticker and a cherry bomb sticker on it that i put on it.

a week or so later i bought the ranger back for 800 bucks and put a transmission in it and drove it around for a while, untill i was offered a trade for an 86 iroc. i ended up getting shafted in that deal. boneheads told me it was a 350 4 bolt main engine , come to find out they pulled the 305 TPI engine and put in a carbed 305. WTF???? who does that lol. (engine blew up after i gave it to a friend and put it in his scottsdale) after i made the the trade, my truck had 171,000 miles on it and that was just about 5 years ago and i still see it being driven on occasion so its got to have well over 200k on it now. gotta love the fords.

jawn101
07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
I miss my 1993 3.0 Taurus SHO all the time. If I had a garage like Jay Leno, there'd be a place in it for one. It was one of the greatest sleeper cars of all time. Looked just like every other mommymobile until you got up close (or knew what you were looking for) - but good luck catching it. Especially back then.

DashEight
07-31-2012, 01:23 AM
When Ebay was "new" I bought this car after I was dropped off from a party that I drank far too much at. I woke the next morning not realizing that I had hit the "buy it now" button and the car wasn't even in this country. That was the start of a story that I love to think back on to this day. Mostly because of my brother who enjoyed it and who I had to go pick up the car with in Canada when it was transported via SeaRail train freight. I would buy it back if I could, simply for the reason that the story of how it came to me was so unbelievable that it would be nice to show something for all the craziness. Here it is my "1976" Mini. I do not remember why I sold it, much like the 1972 Pantera I sold after only a week of owning that... Thinking of these cars makes beer taste real good. I comfort myself that these cars are like old girlfriends, there was a reason somewhere...but still, as I get older, i can't remember a single bad thing about any of them.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/AE86Silver/mymini.jpg

DMC3165
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi all. Just want to pose a question. Did any of you have a car from your past that you had to give up for any reason ( financial, divorce, other life circumstances). And if you had the opportunity today to re buy that car today would you?

The reason I ask is because I had a car that I was unable to work on because I just didn't have the money at the time, being a new homeowner and parent, so I had to get rid of it. At that time there was no Internet. I always felt it was a project I wanted to finish but never got the chance. Now I have the opportunity to buy the same car for cheap, and just wondering if I should pull the trigger?

Any thoughts, or should I just focus on my D.

Do it! I sold 3165 because I momentarily lost my mind and getting it back was one of the happiest and most surreal experiences of my life. I'd say don't hesitate for a second but thats just me. If I had the chance I would've bought back my first D as well. But that ones in good hands now getting the attention it needs.

Morpheus
08-01-2012, 01:40 PM
After I bought my project D, the buyer of my first D contacted me and offered to sell it back for way cheaper then he purchased it for. I was distraught that he hadn't called me a month sooner.

dvonk
08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
my first car was a red 1986 Jaguar XJS V-12 (photos here (http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid=145)). i didnt really want to sell it, but it wasnt a very practical car for a poor college student. i saw it around town a couple times, and for sale in the classifieds a couple years later. i actually called up and asked some specific info about it to confirm it was indeed my old Jag. i almost laughed out loud when he told me it had "never seen snow." i got stuck in the snow so many times in that thing; automatic, RWD V-12 with ground clearance of just a few inches... :lol:

i havent seen it since, but have always had a 'cool car void' since i sold it... that void is one day going to be filled with my first automotive love: the DeLorean, of course. :wink:

ccurzio
08-02-2012, 12:41 AM
I'd really like to have my first car back. It was a 1985 Audi 4000S in absolutely immaculate condition. Unfortunately some douchebag in an '84 Cadillac ran a red light one day, and it totaled out my car.

No idea what happened to it. I loved that car.

dustybarn
08-02-2012, 08:25 AM
My first car was a '66 Datsun SPL-311. I don't think I'd want that one back again (it was pretty rusty) but I'd love to find another low-windshield 311 someday. It was a great car in every way.

Delorean Industries
08-02-2012, 09:00 AM
94 plymouth laser rs turbo intercooled. 20g mittsu, front mount and dsm link. One fast car.

Victor
08-02-2012, 11:22 AM
My fist car was a VW golf 92, without power steering. A great drive. I blew the reverse gear at the end. I actually drove an entire year without reverse! Boy you have to be on the lookout when parking at all time! I exchange her for a Dodge Stealth ES. Very fast and comfortable... but at the end the parts was so difficult to find eventhough I was sourcing parts from Dodge and Mitsubishi as well (3000 GT). So I sold her. But the car that I really ''loved'' was a 1986 Saab 900S.... I am still missing this last one to this day.

AugustneverEnds
08-08-2012, 11:37 AM
]I'm lucky that my first car was a 1988 BMW 325is. My dad bought it new in '88 and he would tell me as a kid I could have it someday. Unbelievably he let his overjoyed 17 year old son drive it and I am still driving it today. :) More poignantly my dad passed away in March 2011 so the BMW will never leave me. I did have to sell his 1989 750iL as it was becoming an electrical nightmare but that was a car he spent more time throwing curses at than driving! Miss you Dad. Now I have a DeLorean and my trusty E30 so my car dreams have come true.

Chris Burns
08-08-2012, 11:58 AM
]I'm lucky that my first car was a 1988 BMW 325is. My dad bought it new in '88 and he would tell me as a kid I could have it someday. Unbelievably he let his overjoyed 17 year old son drive it and I am still driving it today. :) More poignantly my dad passed away in March 2011 so the BMW will never leave me. I did have to sell his 1989 750iL as it was becoming an electrical nightmare but that was a car he spent more time throwing curses at than driving! Miss you Dad. Now I have a DeLorean and my trusty E30 so my car dreams have come true.

I had a 1982 320i in HS. The 3 series Beemers are great cars! For some reason their upper end cars have a LOT of issues.

AugustneverEnds
08-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Hey Mr. Chris, cool first car!

I know we are sidetracking from DeLoreans but... You hit the nail right on the head! I think once BMW started adding a million electronic functions and features that's when the reliability went down the tubes. I have worked on E28 Five-Series that lasted forever and then I have seen E39 Fives that are money pits by 80,000 miles. Too bad marketing and cost cutting are ruining so many interesting cars... :(

DashEight
08-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Ditto on the e-30 and older BMW's. I had a 73 2002 that set a benchmark for reliabilty, sold it to a friend that still daily's it. I currently have a 88 M3 that has over 180k miles on it. Never a problem with it in all the years I've had it. Drove it up and down the Westcoast between Seattle and SoCal 6 times so far.