PDA

View Full Version : Getting Your Driver's License Renewed

Citizen
08-01-2012, 07:25 PM
So my DL is expiring in a few days. The DMV notified me weeks ago, but I’m just now getting around to going in to get this taken care of (have to go in this time because I renewed online last time). I happen to note the times as I ventured through the different steps getting my renewal.

7:30 Left my office.
8:00 Arrive DMV (it opens at 8, already a line there, probably 100 people waiting outside)
8:20 Finally get in the door, where the one outside line turned into two indoor lines. I pick the slow line of course.
8:45 Arrive at front information desk. Nice lady goes over my stuff, gives me a number and a form to fill out, and then to wait over there for my number to be called.
9:20 My number is called, young man takes my info, takes my picture, I sign and he gives me a temporary license just printed off his HP printer (permanent license will be mailed to me, 30-45 days).
9:25 I’m out the door.
9:45 Back at my desk at work.

Total time "actually" getting my license renewed: 5 minutes.
Total time away from work to get my DL: 2 hours, 15 minutes.

Oh, and let me mention; I tried going yesterday during my hour long lunch time. But when I got there, the line was so long, I returned to work (without getting lunch) thinking I’ll just go in the morning and get there when it opens, so the line won’t be so long. Silly me.

I’m not posting this because I have too much free time on my hands that I post about stuff none of you are interested in. I’m posting, because we have a national community on this forum, and I’m wondering what you lucky guys have to go through in other (than Texas) states.

Post if you like.

Thanks,
Thomas

Bitsyncmaster
08-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Add an eye test through a machine that's got lenses so dirty you can barely see the top line.

Kenny_Z
08-01-2012, 08:18 PM
I found that my local DMV's sweet spot time is around 9am. Last year when I got my DL renewed I walked in and didn't even have to grab a number. When I got Red's tags I had maybe a 2 minute wait.

Michael
08-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I can do mine online unless a new picture is required. Last year, I walked into the DMV, used the automated kiosk and 5 minutes later walked out with my new DL. Living in a smaller city does have its perks.

Ron
08-01-2012, 08:39 PM
In and out with picture license in 15 minutes tops here. Same even if you loose them- Name, DOB/SSN, and scan your thumb... if you look anywhere the same you're outta there. I got the 10 year mail in last time. You can get 15 now I believe. Now, if you are getting your very first license, pack a lunch, or two, and bring a vehicle in VGC, with paperwork.

Cory W
08-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Northern Ontario, Canada:

-It's a 5 minute drive to the license bureau from where I currently live, if the two stoplights are red.
-Being a contract office, there are people actually working behind the desk. Usually all 5 terminals are running.
-The wait has never been longer than 10 minutes any time of day.
-My last renewal needed a new pic. I kept my Bluetooth in. This was apparently OK (both my license and Health Card have my BT in my ear)
-License renewal is every 5 years. You cannot use a kiosk or renew online, even if a test or picture are not necessary, but you can renew by mail(?!)

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml

Shep
08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Add an eye test through a machine that's got lenses so dirty you can barely see the top line.When I took the first eye test for my first license, I had to use that damn machine. I saw two columns, so I read off the letters with 100% accuracy as they pointed out a line. They asked about a second line. Seemed odd, but I did it anyways.

Then they asked me "do you have any vision in your left eye?" What the hell? I have perfect vision...

Confused, I looked at the lady and indicated that I indeed had vision in both eyes. I looked at the machine again, but this time the columns were different. The first time, there was a space to the left of the two columns, but this time there was a space to the right. That's when I made the realization: apparently their machines have the left two columns on the left lens, and the right two columns on the right lens, the middle of which overlap. Problem is, the spacing of the eyepieces were NOT adjustable, and somehow mine were spaced so badly that it was physically impossible for me to see through both at the same time. The first time around, my right eye was in place, but the left eye couldn't see the letters. This time, the left eye was in place, but the right eye couldn't see the letters. I ended up having to lean my head one direction to read the left two columns, and the other direction to read the right column. Once again, I read the letters with 100% accuracy, and then they told me that if I had failed that time, I would be declared vision impaired. Three strikes and you're out, apparently.

Then I took the driving test and hit a curb, instantly failing me. Idiot was looking at her clipboard, then looked up and instantly told me to turn right, and even though I slammed on the brakes the second I could and did a maneuver with my left hand on the turn signal and my right hand on the left side of the steering wheel pulling right which I have never done since, it didn't slow me down enough and into the curb I went. It all worked out though, because I officially got my first license on 8/8/08 with a better teacher who knew what they were doing.

Moral of the story: government-provided anything is shit, plain and simple. Even the damn eye testing machines.

Kukem
08-03-2012, 09:24 AM
You cannot renew online here in New Brunswick, Canada either because they make it manditory for you to need a new picture. Every 5 years on your birthday. If you go in, it takes about 30 mins at the most, depending on the lineup and most of the time is spent waiting. The hardest part in going to the DMV is finding a parking spot uptown. Pain in the ass! I try to steer clear of uptown for just that reason.

Dangermouse
08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
In and out with picture license in 15 minutes tops here. Same even if you loose them- Name, DOB/SSN, and scan your thumb... if you look anywhere the same you're outta there. I got the 10 year mail in last time. You can get 15 now I believe. Now, if you are getting your very first license, pack a lunch, or two, and bring a vehicle in VGC, with paperwork.

Lucky you, Ron. GA has now introduced the "Real ID" act requirements resulting in waits of 4-6 hours a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully that will be down by the time I get mine renewed next year.