PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Coil cover mount

D Knight
08-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Does anyone have a pic of thier lower mount for the coil cover? I'm not sure if mine is damaged or not. I haven't had the cover since I've had the car, so I purchased a new one. I want to make sure it is installed correctly. My car has the early clasp on the top.

WelmoedJ
08-04-2012, 05:57 AM
Does anyone have a pic of thier lower mount for the coil cover? I'm not sure if mine is damaged or not. I haven't had the cover since I've had the car, so I purchased a new one. I want to make sure it is installed correctly. My car has the early clasp on the top.

I've been able to look at many cars and found that the lower mount is not/could not be used.
I recall having seen a picture, probably of an early car that had a strap across the cover.
This strap probably hooked into the lower mount and connected to the upper mount in a way the battery strap is tied.
I can't recall where I had dug up that picture.

Bitsyncmaster
08-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Mine never has clipped on the lower bracket. I've not designed a fix because it seems to stay put because a coolant hose keeps it pressed back.

WelmoedJ
08-04-2012, 06:13 AM
+1
To keep the clip locked to the upper mount, I use a cotter pin.

jawn101
08-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Oh cool. I thought it was just me :) My cover can't even reach the lower mount. I tried a bunch of ways to make it fit while the motor was out and had no luck. And just like Dave I don't find it a big deal as one of the coolant hoses keeps it nicely in place anyway.

D Knight
08-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Cool thanks! I noticed the hose holds it pretty well too but was wondering what I was missing.

Tillsy
08-04-2012, 08:22 AM
After persistently trying to get the bottom to slot in I too gave up since it is wedged down there nicely and clipped at the top, so all good :)

DMCMW Dave
08-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I recall having seen a picture, probably of an early car that had a strap across the cover.

The strap is on the very late cars. Apparently the factory couldn't get the lower clip to work either.

mluder
08-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Argh... I just ordered a new coil cover thinking mine was broken because the lower clip seemed to be missing... Now it sounds like it doesn't really matter.

Oh well... I'll see what I get and what I can do. My old one was cracked anyway.

Cheers.
Steve

dmc6960
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
If you are unable to attach the lower clip, try attaching the top one first, then pushing the lower one on. Counter-intuitive I know, but it works very easy on my own car. With that said I've had another car I've been unable to attach it at all using that method, so it certainly will not work on everyone's.

Spittybug
08-06-2012, 02:33 PM
If you are unable to attach the lower clip, try attaching the top one first, then pushing the lower one on. Counter-intuitive I know, but it works very easy on my own car. With that said I've had another car I've been unable to attach it at all using that method, so it certainly will not work on everyone's.

This works well for me.