PDA

View Full Version : Running an Delorean automatic transmission without a filter

Chris Burns
08-07-2012, 02:12 AM
I was reading in the Delorean Buyer's guide where running a Delorean Automatic Transmission without the filter was possible as long as you keep the fluids clean. I remember this being discussed awhile back on this forum, but I can't seem to find it.

Ron
08-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Post 4 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3822-Removing-Transmission-Fluid-and-Cleaning-Auto-Trans-Filter)

Chris Burns
08-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks Ron!

nofear365
08-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I was reading in the Delorean Buyer's guide where running a Delorean Automatic Transmission without the filter was possible as long as you keep the fluids clean. I remember this being discussed awhile back on this forum, but I can't seem to find it.

Never heard of that. I guess anything is possible. I guess you could plug the port for an oil filter and do the same with your engine too. What would the benefit of that be though? Better hydraulic flow? (just taking a wild guess here...)

dvonk
08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
well, i assume the reasoning here is running sans filter is possible since replacement filters are no longer available.

Ron
08-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Due to the pluming, if you plugged the oil filter port, you would have zero oil pressure. You would have to gut/bypass the filter to have the same thing.
It's really asking for it to run a transmission w/o a filter.

Dangermouse
08-07-2012, 02:03 PM
It's a risk assessment.

Is there is a greater risk of damage due to a clogged filter and changing fluid every 30000 miles (slight wear debris clogs filter, causing reduced pump flow, in turn causing greater damage and, in turn clogging filter more etc etc) than removing the filter and changing fluid every 3000 miles/1 year and monitoring the condition?

Ron
08-07-2012, 10:56 PM
It's a risk assessment.

Is there is a greater risk of damage due to a clogged filter and changing fluid every 30000 miles (slight wear debris clogs filter, causing reduced pump flow, in turn causing greater damage and, in turn clogging filter more etc etc) than removing the filter and changing fluid every 3000 miles/1 year and monitoring the condition?
If I understand you on the first one, neither is close to acceptable IMO.
The thing about it to me is, how surprisingly small a piece of metal it takes to screw up any auto transmission. EG a valve body can fail to function and when you clean it out, the only thing you discover looks as fine as graphite powder ("normal" aluminum/clutch/mix.), and, a single piece of metal off of the hard parts that you can barely see jams/hangs a valve the first time through relatively often.
...Things that an engine would tolerate much better, might be a good way to say it.

Delorean Industries
08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
If I understand you on the first one, neither is close to acceptable IMO.
The thing about it to me is, how surprisingly small a piece of metal it takes to screw up any auto transmission. EG a valve body can fail to function and when you clean it out, the only thing you discover looks as fine as graphite powder ("normal" aluminum/clutch/mix.), and, a single piece of metal off of the hard parts that you can barely see jams/hangs a valve the first time through relatively often.
...Things that an engine would tolerate much better, might be a good way to say it.

We are preparing to release our upgrade fluid cooler package that replaces the stock unit with a five speed tube section. The new unit also incorporates a inline filter system pre cooler that is widely available and attaches inline via AN fittings. It is very inexpensive and will be a recommended "servicable unit" with maintaince intervals. This will be the first safe way to run a automatic transmission without a stock filter. Due to the position of the cooler assembly the transmission fluid capacity is increased by almost a quart. There will also be a connection point for owners interested in running a trans temp gauge post cooler. Cooler mounts to frame without any additional holes or modifications to the car.

Ron
08-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I would be interested in one!

As you probably know, the APRA says a properly sized and installed cooler alone will increase the average transmissions life 3-4 fold! If the design also focuses on cooling as much as it sounds, it's probably worth it for that alone.
A cool transmission is a happy transmission!

Chris Burns
08-07-2012, 11:33 PM
I would be interested in one!

As you probably know, the APRA says a properly sized and installed cooler alone will increase the average transmissions life 3-5 fold! If the design also focuses on cooling as much as it sounds, it's probably worth it for that alone.
A cool transmission is a happy transmission!

+1

Delorean Industries
08-07-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm looking at a temp threshold sensor with a dash mounted LED (same principle as the LED available on governor curcuits) to warn of a over heating condition. The transmission gets extremely hot especially when in hot climates directly relating to soft component wear.

David T
08-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Running without a filter is like running barefoot on the beach. Sooner or later you will have a problem. The filter catches any fine dirt or debris but it also acts like an anti-cavitation device and also prevents sucking in foam (air). Although the OEM filters are no longer available there is a way to clean the old ones. They can be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. By having the filter where it is also protects the pump. Putting the filter after the pump is good but not for the pump! Anything you can do to keep the transmission cool is a a good thing. I have a heat shield on the cross/over pipe and an external heat sink on the oil cooler. Heat IS a big enemy of an automatic transmission. When it gets too hot the fluid gets too thin and can't lubricate as well and the friction discs slip more and wear faster. That said, it seems to be uncommon to see a worn out transmission on a Delorean. More common is to see damage caused by driving on a bad shift computer.
David Teitelbaum

AugustneverEnds
08-08-2012, 10:12 PM
As the filter is no longer available, does anyone know of a replacement filter for the factory one? I'd hate to think I can't change the transmission filter....:headscratch:

Chris Burns
08-08-2012, 10:30 PM
As the filter is no longer available, does anyone know of a replacement filter for the factory one? I'd hate to think I can't change the transmission filter....:headscratch:

Just reuse the old filter. Take it apart, clean it real well, and then reinstall it.

AugustneverEnds
08-08-2012, 10:45 PM
As usual the answer is right in front of my face... Thanks Mr. Chris

dvonk
08-08-2012, 11:37 PM

you will probably find interest in this thread (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3822-Removing-Transmission-Fluid-and-Cleaning-Auto-Trans-Filter).