PDA

View Full Version : locations of the Delorean prototypes

john 05141
08-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Hi,

The Delorean mules / prototypes and pilot cars interst me. I am currently writing an article in the Dutch Delorean magazine about this. There is quite some information to find. There are about 25 of those cars made from simple mock ups, to fibre glass paneled cars in various colors, and painted SS panel cars.
Some made it to todays existance. Proto one is safely at DMC in Florida, Pilot 20 is restored, and for sale at PJgrady in the UK and Ken also has one of the pilot cars. some were destroyed and one was at the back yard of a Lotus employee. It was discovered after he passed away. The car was is such bad condition it was destroyed. The 50K mile test car is at the museum in Belfast, but are there some Lotus survivor cars out there?
Anyone has some ideas about some of these cars still being somewhere? There may me some of these still on either side of the Atlantic..

John

kenny
08-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi John,
Im sure you have seen the below link, but here it is just in case.
Chris Nicholson would be the man to talk to.
He also owns Pilot 19.
Pilot 25 is now in the Rep. of Ireland

http://pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.aspx?PageType=Pilot_Chronology&ShowContent=Pilot_Cars.html

tjd
08-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Proto 1 is now in Ohio, the Visoneering Car is in a private collection in Coldwater, MI.

Dangermouse
08-24-2012, 08:28 AM
And of course this one Jan/John

D9

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1167-Earliest-known-Pilot-car-found-photographed&highlight=pilot

Nicholas R
08-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Proto 1 is owned by Cliff S. here in Cincinnati/Lebanon OH.

Pilot 21 is joint owned by Cliff S. and Ken K. here in Cincinnati/Lebanon OH. Still needs more restoration.

DeLorean03
08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Proto 1 is owned by Cliff S. here in Cincinnati/Lebanon OH.

Pilot 21 is joint owned by Cliff S. and Ken K. here in Cincinnati/Lebanon OH. Still needs more restoration.

Is Pilot 21 the one at Ken K's shop...?

If so, doesn't Cliff also have a unique lil' DeLorean nearly torn down to just the fiberglass underbody across the parking lot from his shop in the room where all his spare tires are?

Nicholas R
08-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Is Pilot 21 the one at Ken K's shop...?

If so, doesn't Cliff also have a unique lil' DeLorean nearly torn down to just the fiberglass underbody across the parking lot from his shop in the room where all his spare tires are?

You may have to be more specific about Cliff's cars, he's got quite a few, lol. I think he has 2 stripped down to tubs right now. One was his first car that the SS frame was originally meant for (before he was torn whether or not he could put a body on it). The other is a car that he bought because it came with a SS frame.

Yes the one next to the paint booth at Kens is Pilot 21. It's in quite a few pieces right now...

DeLorean03
08-24-2012, 07:49 PM
You may have to be more specific about Cliff's cars, he's got quite a few, lol. I think he has 2 stripped down to tubs right now. One was his first car that the SS frame was originally meant for (before he was torn whether or not he could put a body on it). The other is a car that he bought because it came with a SS frame.

Yes the one next to the paint booth at Kens is Pilot 21. It's in quite a few pieces right now...

Quite a few pieces??? It's like a stainless steel Jeep D: ...

Yeah, I'll have to go to the area at Cliff's I'm thinking of and point out the car to you. I can't remember right off the top the story behind it. The car I'm thinking of is RIGHT outside the nextdoor room where he has literally hundreds of parts on shelves

I'll show you next time we go to Cliff's :P.

Nicholas R
08-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Yea that's the car that cliff got with the second SS frame (the one that is now built up). If I recall correctly he got the car in pieces, mid project.

And yea 21 needs work.... I think it has no SS panels on right on. And all the panels are specific to the car with their own little quirks.

Shep
08-24-2012, 10:59 PM
The 50K mile test car is at the museum in BelfastI believe you're thinking of VIN 514, located in the Ulster Folk Transport museum in Northern Ireland. None of the 50,000 mile test pilots (D11, D13, D14, D15, and D24, if I'm reading PJ Grady UK right) are in museums in Ireland as far as I can tell.

dmcjohn
08-25-2012, 12:10 AM
I believe you're thinking of VIN 514, located in the Ulster Folk Transport museum in Northern Ireland. None of the 50,000 mile test pilots (D11, D13, D14, D15, and D24, if I'm reading PJ Grady UK right) are in museums in Ireland as far as I can tell.

No, John is right. The car is the Ulster Folk and transport is one of the cars used for the 50k tests. I don't think the pilot cars were used for that.

Shep
08-25-2012, 08:37 AM
No, John is right. The car is the Ulster Folk and transport is one of the cars used for the 50k tests. I don't think the pilot cars were used for that.That's what I was saying. This thread is for prototypes (i.e. pilots), but I believe the one he's thinking of is VIN 514, which does not fit in that category. Unless you consider 500-series DeLoreans prototypes, and even though I own one, I personally don't. There were some prototypes used in the 50K tests, but none in museums as far as I can tell. Unless I misunderstood what you're saying?

Dangermouse
08-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I think you are both saying the same thing :)

dmcjohn
09-10-2012, 03:51 PM
That's what I was saying. This thread is for prototypes (i.e. pilots), but I believe the one he's thinking of is VIN 514, which does not fit in that category. Unless you consider 500-series DeLoreans prototypes, and even though I own one, I personally don't. There were some prototypes used in the 50K tests, but none in museums as far as I can tell. Unless I misunderstood what you're saying?

Sorry, just noticed your reply.

Are you sure they used pilot cars for the 50k tests? I thought they only used 2 cars for that, one of which crashed before completion - thereby making 514 (the one on display in NI) the only 50k test car.

Dangermouse
09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
I thought they only used 2 cars for that, one of which crashed before completion - .

+1

Shep
09-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Are you sure they used pilot cars for the 50k tests? I thought they only used 2 cars for that, one of which crashed before completion - thereby making 514 (the one on display in NI) the only 50k test carAccording to PJ Grady UK (http://pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.aspx?PageType=Pilot_Chronology&ShowContent=Pilot_Cars.html), D13, D14, D15 and D24 were all used for 50,000 mile testing, although only D24 was driven on public roads in the same way VIN 514 was. I don't know how many, if any, of these pilots still survive today, in whole or in part, but there were at least other D's used. I'm thinking john 05141 may have confused D24 with VIN 514, which is what I was getting at.

john 05141
09-11-2012, 04:37 AM
I am trying to find out how this was exactely. This article is due in a few weeks. It will be in Dutch unfortunately If I have the time I will make a translation and post it here.
But I want to thank you all for your input!

John