PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Wanted: DMOCO Manual Shift Plate

uhhair
08-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Really want the stainless shift plate, let me know if you have one you're willing to part with!

Ron
08-24-2012, 03:57 PM
My very good extra special good buddy Alex just sent me an early Christmas present...

They are back in stock!

Nicholas R
08-24-2012, 04:02 PM
My very good extra special good buddy Alex just sent me an early Christmas present...

They are back in stock!

Where are they in stock?? I'm checking the DMOCO website and cant find them. I've been looking for one for a while!

Tillsy
08-24-2012, 06:46 PM
I can't see them listed either?

Ron
08-25-2012, 01:43 AM
IIRC, he called them...I'll email him and ask.

uhhair
08-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Yes please let me know. I know they started making the automatic ones again but I didn't hear anything about the manual ones.

Ron
08-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm Sorry!...I understood people had clearance problems with the manual version unless the linkage and all was like new so they quit making them (scuttle butt) and didn't catch "manual" in the title.

Alex said he was on waiting list for the auto style and got email.
...I don't know because I get mixed signals on when/if they are going to do more (we gave up hope on the autos). But I'd call them and sign up (if that's even an option now)...the more people sign up , the sooner they will be out I'd immagine...

Jeff K
08-26-2012, 02:12 AM
I'd like the manual shift plate too. I have their Auto one on my other car.. looks nice!

Nicholas R
08-26-2012, 02:36 AM
I will absolutely buy one of the manual ones if they're reproduced. I LOVE the way they look. I am more than happy to have to adjust my cross shift cable to make it work if necessary. I've seen it on a few cars before though and all I've tried never had issues. Someone please start making these! :biggrin: Josh B? This is definitely right up your alley!

uhhair
08-26-2012, 02:38 AM
I will absolutely buy one of the manual ones if they're reproduced. I LOVE the way they look. I am more than happy to have to adjust my cross shift cable to make it work if necessary. I've seen it on a few cars before though and all I've tried never had issues. Someone please start making these! :biggrin: Josh B? This is definitely right up your alley!

+1 to this. There is definitely enough demand for them to do a group buy if nothing else. Someone with some experience in this area should set it up!

1batt4u
09-02-2012, 10:30 PM
+1 to this. There is definitely enough demand for them to do a group buy if nothing else. Someone with some experience in this area should set it up!

I believe Josh is working on these!! He also mentioned that he will mount plastic right under the shifter plate so the stick hits the plastic and not the S/S plate.

pezzonovante88
09-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I'm also kinda interested in getting one of these. Hopefully Josh comes through with it.

Jimmyvonviggle
09-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I spoke to Josh along time ago about this, at least 6 months ago, I thought because I didn't hear back from him the project was dead in the water.

vwdmc16
09-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Does DoMoCo have any sort or patent or copyright to the design?

uhhair
09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I too spoke to Josh about it a long time back but haven't heard anything in quite some time. I wonder if DMOCO would consider doing a limited run if we could get a group of us to show we are serious about buying them, maybe even put down a deposit?

Mark D
09-04-2012, 02:08 PM
If DMOCO does not have a patent on the design or does not care if we make reproductions it would not be hard to create replicas.

-Someone who has an original one just needs to scan it on a flat bed scanner.
-With basic info of the overall length and width dimensions the image can be scaled 1:1 ratio.
-From there I can do a CAD overlay of the design and create a DXF file of geometry that can be programmed into a water jet or laser cutter.

I can distribute the DXF file for free to anyone who wants to have their local fab shop make them one, or someone can organize a group buy and have a shop do a run of a larger quantity.

I don't particularly want one on my car, but I'll offer my design help for free.

-Mark

Mark D
09-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Here is an example of a design that would include a lower plastic plate (possibly black nylon) that the shift lever would be able to rub on and not get cut up. The gates on the stainless top plate would be a hair oversized and the plate would also have the DMC logo cut into it so the black nylon would show from behind.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12922&d=1346788251

pezzonovante88
09-04-2012, 08:53 PM
That looks awesome! I'd be down.

Mark D
09-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Just need someone to scan an existing plate so I can get the dimensions correct. What you see above is close but would not fit.

I doubt there is any type of patent from DMOCO on this, but we'll need permission before we outright copy their design and start pumping out replicas.

uhhair
09-05-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree, I will contact them and see what they say. I don't see why they would mind since they said they have no intention of making any more themselves.

uhhair
09-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Also, thanks very much for your offer to help out! I really do think we could make a small run of these and sell them no problem. I have already contacted DMOCO and also know a fab shop that should be able to help out. Now all we need is a scan of the plate...anyone?

Jimmyvonviggle
09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
I think having the black nylon exposed from behind would just be a place for dirt to collect. I'm ok with just a ss plate with a nylon rub guide.

Nicholas R
09-05-2012, 02:20 PM
If this goes through, I will absolutely be on the list of buyers :biggrin:

Mark D
09-05-2012, 02:45 PM
A nylon rub guide on the shifter arm would be a good option too and would accomplish the same goal as the nylon base plate. Either way we'd just have to slightly oversize the gate path in the the stainless plate for the extra clearance.

If people don't want the DMC cutout in the stainless plate that could be eliminated also. Lots of options available.

SS Spoiler
09-05-2012, 07:17 PM
The DMC cutout could have a backlit led bulb?

DrJeff
09-05-2012, 07:25 PM
While I like the look of the stainless steel shift plate, I thought that the problem was that the manuals have too much play in the stick, and there was insufficient consistency between cars. This left the between gears fingers too narrow and subject to bending.

If you assume that to work on multiple cars that the between gear fingers need to be thin, then the question becomes how much strength can you add to the finger with the plastic guide backing. You might have to either select a very strong material (Teflon) or make the material sufficiently thick.

You might be able to make a prototype from a cutting board (thick hard plastic) with a band saw or similar tool.

Tillsy
09-05-2012, 07:28 PM
The DMC cutout could have a backlit led bulb?

Yeah baby!!! :thumbup2:

SS Spoiler
09-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Better yet six plunge type switches that lights up the shift pattern when ever you change gears. My wife's Jeep is hard for her to tell what gear she is in. Each [door type?] plunger switch could protrude into the shift pattern notches just enough to energize . Feel free to steal this idea and run with it.

pezzonovante88
09-05-2012, 07:45 PM
The only thing I'd be worried about would be that the shift pattern will not be an exact match to my car, and therefore, not allowing me to change gears!

Ps. I'll pass on anything that lights up - not for me.

Dangermouse
09-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Better yet, the switches could be programmed to speak "you are now in First gear" etc in Farrar's radio voice.

(wouldn't even have to take your eyes off the road)

I'd take one and I've even got an auto.

😄

Mark D
09-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Interesting ideas... If you guys really want back lit DMC logos or light up indicators for which gear you are in be my guest... There is plenty of room for customization. As far as the strength/size/shape of the fingers that make up the shift gates the stainless can be made to whatever thickness needed to make them strong. Nylon is a somewhat soft plastic so if there are concerns about the strength of the lower section it could be made of ABS or Lexan.

If there are concerns about the size of the original DMOCO shift gates being too small to account for slop in people's shift pattern then the width of the openings can be made larger to account for it. Eventually though it would start to look like just one big hole. I can start to see why DMOCO just decided to no longer offer it since there is variation from car to car.

With some tweaking though I don't see why someone wouldn't be able to adjust their shift linkange or the positioning of the plate to get it to line up correctly.

First things first, we need a scan of an original DMOCO plate (and permission to use it) so we at least have a starting point to go from.

uhhair
09-06-2012, 12:37 PM
These are all awesome ideas! I think making a DMC cutout in the stainless and having it light up would be really sweet and not too difficult. I still have not heard back from DMOCO yet but hopefully any day now. And yes, we still need someone that has one to agree to scan it to us. Anyone out there?

Mark D
09-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Any news from DMOCO about if they care if we make reproductions? Maybe they'd be willing to share the design drawing for us if they have no plans to make more. Otherwise we'll still need a scan of an original plate to move this project along.

uhhair
09-17-2012, 04:54 PM
I have talked to DMOCO and will be sharing what we discussed shortly. Stay tuned!

DMOCO Rick
09-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes, as Alex mentioned, we are working on having these produced again.
DMOCO.com (http://www.dmoco.com)

pezzonovante88
09-21-2012, 03:33 PM

Yes! With the SS shift-knob, too?

Jeff K
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Great News!

Tillsy
09-21-2012, 06:12 PM

SH#T YEAH!!!! :elmo1:

1batt4u
09-21-2012, 11:17 PM

As well as the shift knob??? I really want those as well!!! With the shift pattern on them of course!!! :o

john 05141
09-26-2012, 05:18 AM
I have one of those DMOCO manual shift plates laying around.
I removed it because it scratched the stick severely, but I had no issues to shift at all.
Also I encountered a problem the dashlight fuse would pop because obviously the stick and the shiftplate would give a short cirquit sometimes. As far as I know I'm the only one who had this problem. I never figured out why this was, there were no cables damaged or so. It has been in in my basement ever since. Also the rubber booth underneath seems to rip with everybody who has this. So as I do not have it installed, a scan is easity made. Not sure if I am allowed to do this?? I do not want any trouble with that.

JAn

Mark D
09-26-2012, 11:11 AM
It sounds like DMOCO will be making another run of these so there is no reason to create replicas at this point. The suggestion was made to install a plastic sleeve around the shift handle and that should prevent the scratching issue.

john 05141
09-27-2012, 02:56 AM
I saw that reaction.

Here in our company we're making magnetic heads (among other thigs) and we also produce rails for swipe readers becasue the edge of a platic card is rather sharp, this swipe is made from a material called Delrin. It looks and feels like plastic, seems a but greasy from nature, nothing can be glued to it unless you prep the material for it. But it is very very strong and wear resistant, and you can get this in every color you want.
It mills very easily too.
I have been thinking myself to make my own replica in a black plate. The scratching would have been gone, and it might have looked good. I'll talk to the engineering guys it if would be hard to make me one of those. We have a bunch of CNC milling machines, they make that in a few minutes. I'll take that thing with me tomorrow and see what they say.

Jan

DMOCO Rick
10-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Guys,
We are going to take preorders for our Shift Plate Kits. If we get 10 orders, we'll make a run of parts. We are going to limit our built to 20 sets. Get your orders in soon.

DMOCO (http://www.dmoco.com/products.html)

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO.com

Tillsy
10-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Woohoo!!! Done :rock_on:

Tillsy
10-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Yes! With the SS shift-knob, too?

As well as the shift knob??? I really want those as well!!! With the shift pattern on them of course!!! :o

They've whacked up an option for the shifter ball as well now, yeah baby!!!

DMOCO Rick
10-12-2012, 12:01 AM
We will take preorders on the Shift Plate kit until Friday, October 19th. If we have 10 orders, we will press the go button on having these produced again.

DMOCO (http://www.dmoco.com/products.html)

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO.com

Nicholas R
10-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Holy cow, I feel like I remember these being a lot less last time. Somewhere around the $100-115 price point (I thought they were something like $35 more than the auto shifter plates). I was about to place my pre-order until I saw the new price. $226.95??:shocked: :wow:

I dont think I could justify that cost for a 5"x10" picece of 3/16 stainless steel. For that cost I'll try my had at making my own. Hell my engine/transmission adapter plate was water jet cut from a .5" thick 22"x22" piece of 6061 aluminum and that only cost about $150 including materials. Time to make a drawing and call up my friends at the machine shop.

EDIT: Also after reading I see it mentions a mounting bracket underneath; I'm not sure I'd be able to use this setup since I have a non standard shifter area due to the auto to manual conversion.

john 05141
10-12-2012, 04:02 AM
You'll need the rubber booth underneath as well.
For some reason I'm glad I did not sell mine for 100€ as I almost did 6 months ago.

Jan

pezzonovante88
10-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Yikes. Maybe for $150 max, but not over $200. Can't justify that one.

Jeff K
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Done!

DMOCO Rick
10-12-2012, 02:09 PM
We are offering this Shift Plate Kit at the same price as we last offered them 2 years ago. The 4.76mm thick stainless plate is required to be machined on both sides. This is a complete kit that includes a mounting bracket, rubber boot, and bolt set.

DMOCO.com (http://www.dmoco.com/products.html)

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO.com

DMOCO Rick
10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Only 2 orders in so far. We are going to take pre-orders until this Friday, Oct 19th. Need 10 orders to make a run of these.

1batt4u
10-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Only 2 orders in so far. We are going to take pre-orders until this Friday, Oct 19th. Need 10 orders to make a run of these.

What about S/S shift knobs??? I need the one with Shift pattern!!

Tillsy
10-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Likewise - if the shifter plate falls through I'm still keen on the ball

1batt4u
10-18-2012, 02:03 AM
I saw on their website that they have a shifter plate and knob combo for $291.95! If thats part of the pre-order I take that!! Just waiting for them to reply that it is!

Tillsy
10-18-2012, 02:34 AM
I saw on their website that they have a shifter plate and knob combo for $291.95! If thats part of the pre-order I take that!! Just waiting for them to reply that it is!

I've written to them a couple of times asking to swap my pre-order to that - no reply yet either, I'm guessing they are waiting until there's even enough pre-order interest to worry about tweaking individual orders.

1batt4u
10-18-2012, 05:19 PM
I've written to them a couple of times asking to swap my pre-order to that - no reply yet either, I'm guessing they are waiting until there's even enough pre-order interest to worry about tweaking individual orders.

I've also PMed them few times, but no response! I am down for the pre-order. I just want them to confirm that the shifter plate and knob combo are part of the deal! Then I'll send payment ASAP!

dmruschell
10-19-2012, 08:20 AM
I just ordered the combo. I hope it is part of the pre-order, especially since there seem to be a decent number of us that want it!

DMOCO Rick
10-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry, don't check the private messages too often here. I've responded back to everyone now. We have 3 pre-orders. Need 7 more to make this happen. If we get 10 total, we will also be making our Stainless Shift Knobs again (5 speed & DMC graphic).

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO.com

1batt4u
10-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Once you get all 10 people and order is placed, how long till they are ready?

Tillsy
10-19-2012, 05:42 PM
It's already Saturday 20th October here (anyone want the lotto results?) thus Friday 19th for you guys, so I'm thinking this is all over :(

dmruschell
10-19-2012, 09:28 PM
It's already Saturday 20th October here (anyone want the lotto results?) thus Friday 19th for you guys, so I'm thinking this is all over :(

I hope not :( I actually need a shift knob for my 5-speed swap and was hoping to be able to get a stainless one rather than tracking down an original. The stainless plate was just a bonus.

1batt4u
10-19-2012, 10:08 PM
I just placed my order for the shifter plate and knob w/5 speed graphic!! I hope more people place orders real quick!

DMOCO Rick
10-20-2012, 12:49 AM
We are now up to 6 orders. Need 4 more to make this happen. We are going to extend the pre-sale one more week to Friday, Oct 26th. As soon as we receive 4 more orders, we will hit the go button. We will have the complete parts kits, including the stainless shift knobs, ready to ship 3 weeks or less after that.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

1batt4u
10-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Come on people, lets do it!!! 8)

1batt4u
10-23-2012, 02:39 PM
How is it going so far??

DMOCO Rick
10-23-2012, 11:38 PM
We are stuck at 6 orders. Need at least 4 more pre-orders by Friday or it's a no-go for the Shift Plate Kits.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

coreydmc
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Im thinking about ordering one of these today. What is the lead time? Also is there a plastic piece under the plate so the hear shifter rod doesnt get all scratched?

DMOCO Rick
10-25-2012, 04:52 PM
No, this kit does not include any plastic, so the shaft does get scratched. Our final day for taking orders is tomorrow. Still need 4 more. Will have parts in 3 weeks or sooner if we get enough orders.

Jimmyvonviggle
10-26-2012, 03:51 AM
Im thinking about ordering one of these today. What is the lead time? Also is there a plastic piece under the plate so the hear shifter rod doesnt get all scratched?

If the shaft gets scratched, can't we slip a rubber tube over the shaft to prevent this. Maybe something like surgical tubing or electric shrink tubing if it comes in that diameter.

john 05141
10-26-2012, 04:44 AM
No,tried that. It makes the shifter rod to thick, and will be harder to shift. If you sand the shifter rod to bare metel, the scratches will not be as visible like the black version as it is now.

Jan

Nicholas R
10-26-2012, 12:27 PM
So I decided to bite and went ahead and preordered one. Turns out I do really want this. Maybe this will motivate me to sell all the extra DMC and LS1 parts I've got lying around that I dont need.

Did the preorder numbers get hit?

What about if there was a sheet of clear lexan underneath the shifter plate that is just a tiny bit tighter shift pattern so that the shifter rubs against the lexan, not the stainless?

uhhair
10-26-2012, 01:32 PM
I just placed my order. I was on the fence due to the cost, I thought it would be much lower, but I still really wanted it so I went for it.

Nicholas R
10-26-2012, 02:09 PM
I think that makes 8?

DMOCO Rick
10-26-2012, 02:45 PM
We are up to 8 pre-orders. Need 2 more by the end of the day.

Rick
DMOCO

pezzonovante88
10-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Damn. I will buy one, I just don't want to right now. I'll likely want it in the spring, butI guess that doesn't count as a pre-order, though. But I'm soooo tempted.

DMOCO Rick
10-26-2012, 05:40 PM
We have made some improvements to this latest Shift Plate. This discussion has stirred up a few buyers of our previous 2007 design that we sold for a few years. Many owners mentioned that the pattern, or shift opening isn't large enough, and makes shifting difficult. We have taken steps to revise our product. Our new design has a greatly wider gated shifter opening to allow easier shifting. This will be a big improvement over our old design.http://www.dmoco.com/images/Shift_Plate_DMOCO_DeLorean.jpg

Rick
DMOCO

1batt4u
10-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Ahhh Much better!!! Great Job!!

1batt4u
10-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Damn. I will buy one, I just don't want to right now. I'll likely want it in the spring, butI guess that doesn't count as a pre-order, though. But I'm soooo tempted.

Trust me, get it now!!! I've been waiting a year and a half for these!! If it doesn't happen now, will be 2 years or just a big question mark!!

When we have the chance we usually hold it off for another time, then we miss it. It always happens to me!

coreydmc
10-26-2012, 09:43 PM
since i just found out that they have made improvements on the shift gate pattern i just bought one on the pre-order. i hope since it is after hours that it is not to late.....

Mark D
10-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Wow, not to sound like a dick... but with such a huge opening like that it doesn't even look like it has gates anymore. A small child could fall in there the opening is so large.

If the DeLorean shift pattern really is that sloppy to need gates that big then a big square hole with a leather boot over it makes the most sense (stock stetup).

When I think gated shifter I think of this:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14370&d=1351309442

DMOCO Rick
10-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Wow, not to sound like a dick... but with such a huge opening like that it doesn't even look like it has gates anymore. A small child could fall in there the opening is so large.

If the DeLorean shift pattern really is that sloppy to need gates that big then a big square hole with a leather boot over it makes the most sense (stock stetup).

When I think gated shifter I think of this:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14370&d=1351309442

Yes, that's a very nice shift plate. The DeLorean does have a sloppier shift pattern, and the cable link adjustments makes every car slightly different.

DMOCO Rick
10-27-2012, 01:55 AM
We have 10 orders in. We are going forward with this run of parts. Thank you for all of your orders.

DMOCO.com (http://dmoco.com/products.html)

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

Nicholas R
10-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Rick I have to be honest, I'm actually a little bit concerned now that you posted the information about the larger shift pattern. I really wish I would have known about that before I preordered, especially being the last day. Do you have any photos of a prototype because I am not a fan of how that rendering looks. I ordered mine under the impression that it was going to look like this:
http://dmoco.com/images/Shifter_Ball_Plate_Large3.jpg
http://dmoco.com/images/Shifter_Ball_Plate_Large2.jpg

Depending on how much it differs from the advertised picture, I may not be interested. Cliff Schmucker here in Cincinnati has one and I based my decision on his under the assumption that it would be the same plate.

My shifter cable is new and I am more than happy to adjust my shift linkages to accommodate the original plate. That's part of the disclaimer after all. I feel like the wider pattern makes the plate look useless, and actually detracts instead of enhances. Not to mention that if it really does match the rendering, the rubber boot underneath is going to be on display. The neutral area on the previous area was only a little wider than the shifter before; now it appears as though there is at leas half an inch on top and bottom.

If you're announcing changes to the design after the orders are placed, and the above advertised photo is no longer an accurate representation, I would really prefer to see photos of the actual plate installed before being sent one.

EDIT:
Rick, please let me know if this is an accurate representation of how the shifter fits inside the new plate compared to the old one.
http://i.imgur.com/Kgunl.jpg

Tillsy
10-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Err, likewise that is not what I ordered and I'm very annoyed to see this at the last minute :(

1batt4u
10-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Yea, now I really see what they mean, it is going to be too open. I also understand that the shifter does have a sloppier shift pattern, and the cable link adjustments makes every car slightly different. Maybe open it up a little

coreydmc
10-27-2012, 04:39 PM
these are great point of views. i may not want one either. i need to see the actual pic,

pezzonovante88
10-27-2012, 05:32 PM
I would have to conquer about the "new" style plate. I would only want it if it looked like the original one. It just looks weird otherwise.

DMOCO Rick
10-27-2012, 06:26 PM
The new "gate-opening" is very close to the line drawing. We made this call to modify in order to improve the function of this product. The older plate did look better, more like what you would see on an 80's Ferrari. This modified design will work better and have less shifting issues compared to our older plate. If you have already ordered and don't like these changes, just send us an email. We will issue a refund. We will be producing 20 sets of these total. So far 10 are spoken for.

DMOCO.com
(http://dmoco.com/)

Thanks,

Rick

uhhair
10-28-2012, 10:34 AM
I agree, after seeing this new pattern, I would definitely like a refund, I will be e-mailing for me. The new pattern is not nearly as nice on the eyes as the old pattern, had I know it was changing I would not have ordered it.

DMCMW Dave
10-28-2012, 01:39 PM
He is trying to save you guys from having the plate saw your (non available part) shifter arm off.

It is possible to make it work with the original design, but about 90% of the people installing this don't bother to replace all the shifter bushings when they wear out, and don't do a proper adjustment. They come complaining about the damage to the shifter arm, or the rattling noises.

coreydmc
10-28-2012, 03:02 PM
me to. I just asked for the refund. I also asked if they can still modify their order and produce some to match the originals. if so i would change my mind and continue with order.

Nicholas R
10-30-2012, 03:07 AM
He is trying to save you guys from having the plate saw your (non available part) shifter arm off.

It is possible to make it work with the original design, but about 90% of the people installing this don't bother to replace all the shifter bushings when they wear out, and don't do a proper adjustment. They come complaining about the damage to the shifter arm, or the rattling noises.

Personally I would rather have scratches on my shifter than be able to see so much under the plate. It's only an aesthetic upgrade so it's all about how it looks. My plan was to sand and polish the shifter rod anyway so that it was silver so the scratches would barely show up anyway.

john 05141
10-30-2012, 05:04 AM
When I had my shifter plate installed, I removed it because it caused a short cirquit. I was the only one every had this problem, but I agree it was a cool item to have, it looks great. Welmoed has one also and he has cut those teeth short himself to almost the equivallent of the new version discussed here. He mailed me a picture of it but I can not seem to find it. I'll send him a mail with the request to put it on here, so you see what it loks like in the car. Still very cool,no worries.

Jan

DrJeff
10-30-2012, 06:40 AM
When I had my shifter plate installed, I removed it because it caused a short cirquit.

Screw from the shifter plate contacting one of the wires in the wiring harnesses that run underneath, perhaps to the clock or rheostat?

1batt4u
10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
I guess leave the shifter plate as you had it, we'll figure out the rest!

DMOCO Rick
10-30-2012, 01:54 PM
My supplier contacted me today and it turns out they had already rough-cut these plates with the original gate pattern/opening. We are not going to modify the gated opening for this run of parts. I tried to change these a little too late in the process. So again, these will be our gated shift plate design from 2007.

DMOCO.com
(http://www.dmoco.com/products.html)

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

1batt4u
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
My supplier contacted me today and it turns out they had already rough-cut these plates with the original gate pattern/opening. We are not going to modify the gated opening for this run of parts. I tried to change these a little too late in the process. So again, these will be our gated shift plate design from 2007.

DMOCO.com

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

Cool! Since all orders are in, all 10, I guess they will be ready in about 3 weeks? I placed the combo order, for shift plate and knob with shift pattern. The knobs are being made now as well?

DMOCO Rick
10-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes, these will be ready in approx 3 weeks. We will also be making the shift knobs again.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

1batt4u
11-11-2012, 01:32 PM

DMOCO.com

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

Just wondering how these are coming along, since the supplier already had these in production.

Thank you! :-)

DMOCO Rick
11-14-2012, 04:46 PM
The shift knob production was a late-ad for our supplier, so it is taking them a little longer to finish everything. Parts will not be ready to ship on Friday. Once I get a clearer time from the shop, I can tell everyone when we will have these ready to ship out.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO.com

1batt4u
11-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the update!

DMOCO Rick
11-23-2012, 05:59 PM
We just recieved the shift plates in today from the laser engraver. We are just waiting on the stainless nuts and bolts order to come in. Will hopefully ship by Wednesday next week (11-23).

Also, we now have our Shifter Knobs back in stock.

Thanks,

Rick

thirdmanj
11-23-2012, 06:18 PM
We just recieved the shift plates in today from the laser engraver. We are just waiting on the stainless nuts and bolts order to come in. Will hopefully ship by Wednesday next week (11-23).

Thanks,

Rick

Quick question Rick. Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but why the drastic price difference between the auto shifter plates, and the manual shifter plates? Honestly, not trying to be a prick, I really like all the stuff you guys have!

DMOCO Rick
11-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Quick question Rick. Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but why the drastic price difference between the auto shifter plates, and the manual shifter plates? Honestly, not trying to be a prick, I really like all the stuff you guys have!

Hi James,
The reason for the price difference is the material and machine time. The metal used on our Auto Shift plates is much thinner than the manual shifter. The biggest expense for the manual shift plates is machine time. They require CNC machining on both sides of the part. The front has counter-sunk holes for the bolts, and the rear has a bevel cut into the metal to open up the shift pattern as much as possible. It just comes down to more time to produce. I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

thirdmanj
11-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi James,
The reason for the price difference is the material and machine time. The metal used on our Auto Shift plates is much thinner than the manual shifter. The biggest expense for the manual shift plates is machine time. They require CNC machining on both sides of the part. The front has counter-sunk holes for the bolts, and the rear has a bevel cut into the metal to open up the shift pattern as much as possible. It just comes down to more time to produce. I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

Ahhhh, I see. Makes sense! Thanks, and keep on wit ya bad self. Your shit ROCKS!!

1batt4u
11-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Thanks,

Rick

Hi,

You started shipping these out already?

DMOCO Rick
11-28-2012, 04:34 PM
All Shift Plate Kits are packaged and have shipped today. If you haven't purchased, we still have more in stock.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

1batt4u
12-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I just got my parts today, shifter plate and 5 Speed shifter ball!

Problem with the shifter ball, it is polished. Has a mirror finish. I thought they only have a brushed finish as advertised? Sorry to say I only want it in Brushed Finish.

What can be done?

Thank you!

Bitsyncmaster
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Is it bare aluminum or power coated?

DMCMW Dave
12-01-2012, 04:33 PM

Stainless. When I see a post like this I typically wonder why they didn't call/contact the vendor first.

1batt4u
12-01-2012, 05:05 PM

The knob??

It's not aluminum, they are all made out of 304 stainless steel, and they are supposed to have a brushed finish. http://www.dmoco.com/products.html

Bitsyncmaster
12-01-2012, 06:39 PM
The knob??

It's not aluminum, they are all made out of 304 stainless steel, and they are supposed to have a brushed finish. http://www.dmoco.com/products.html

Then you can just wet sand it by hand. Under a little running water in the sink, try 400 grit silicon carbide sand paper. If that is not enough grain, get 320 or 240 grit.

DMC5180
12-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Then you can just wet sand it by hand. Under a little running water in the sink, try 400 grit silicon carbide sand paper. If that is not enough grain, get 320 or 240 grit.

If you cut the head off a 3 inch long M8 bolt, then chuck the shank in a drill, you can screw the knob on and spin it while holding sandpaper or coarse scotch-brite graining pad too it. But the knob has been laser etched already with the shift pattern, that would get ruined.

1batt4u
12-01-2012, 07:14 PM
But the knob has been laser etched already with the shift pattern, that would get ruined.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I really don't feel like sanding it either way because won't be smooth and straight lines around.

Nicholas R
12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Can you post some photos of the shifter and shift plate?

1batt4u
12-02-2012, 03:07 PM

Nicholas R
12-02-2012, 11:01 PM

Thanks! That looks pretty nice. Definitely post some install pics. And yea wow, that shifter ball is a mirrored finish!

Ron
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I just got my parts today, shifter plate and 5 Speed shifter ball!

Problem with the shifter ball, it is polished. Has a mirror finish. I thought they only have a brushed finish as advertised? Sorry to say I only want it in Brushed Finish.

What can be done?

Thank you!I don't get it...If it is not as advertized, why not simply send it back?

AirmanPika
12-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Not sure if anyone is interested still, but I have a Ball (5 speed) and Shift plate I bought from DMOCO a couple years ago that I never ended up using. I was thinking $250 + shipping for the set if anyone was still after them.

Jimmyvonviggle
12-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Is the plate mirror finished as well? Can't tell by the pic. Also is that the wider shift pattern?

1batt4u
12-03-2012, 01:26 AM
The Plate is brushed, looks good! Looks like the shift pattern is a little wider for easier shifts.

Nicholas R
12-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Not sure if anyone is interested still, but I have a Ball (5 speed) and Shift plate I bought from DMOCO a couple years ago that I never ended up using. I was thinking $250 + shipping for the set if anyone was still after them.

Looking at yours, does the shift pattern in your plate look more like this:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15225&d=1354478830

Or like this:
http://dmoco.com/images/Shifter_Plate_Large.jpg

AirmanPika
12-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Its the top version.

dmcpom
12-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Bottom pic from Nicholas is how it should look .
But love the rubber boot :)

Jimmyvonviggle
12-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I can't understand this vendor. First he says he will produce the original design, then says at the last minute he will change to a wider shift pattern. This produces a massive exodus of orders. After all the cries he says that he put in the design changes too late and it will be in the original shift pattern format.

Now the pictures come in with the new wider shift pattern, and a shift ball that doesn't match the description. Not exactly a cheap part, more of an embellishment, could have gone the cheaper route. I am not saying the final product may not be nice, I will judge when it arrives, but the vendor could have been a little better with the communication.

Nicholas R
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Man the shift pattern still just looks too wide open to me. :/

I was really hoping for the bottom picture.

I will give kudos to the rubber boot though. That is certainly a nice touch :)

and a shift ball that doesn't match the description. Not exactly a cheap part, more of an embellishment, could have gone the cheaper route.

Actually I would argue that it's cheaper and easier to put a mirrored finish on it than a precisely grained pattern on it. There are so many different polishing processes out ther that creating a mirrored finish is easy, especially in bulk.

Jimmyvonviggle
12-03-2012, 04:17 PM

I was really hoping for the bottom picture.

I will give kudos to the rubber boot though. That is certainly a nice touch :)

Actually I would argue that it's cheaper and easier to put a mirrored finish on it than a precisely grained pattern on it. There are so many different polishing processes out ther that creating a mirrored finish is easy, especially in bulk.

Nick I meant people buying this don't really need it and they could have gone the cheaper route of buying the original leather wrap. But if they do decide to spend their money they should know what they are getting.

DMOCO Rick
12-03-2012, 05:12 PM
This Shift Plate is the same pattern we were making in 2007. If you buy it, and are unhappy, you can return it.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO.com

DMC5180
12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Rick,

I had a chance to see your Car in Dave's shop in past year. The shifter shaft appeared to be Stainless or Chromed. What did you do to it?

Nicholas R
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Nick I meant people buying this don't really need it and they could have gone the cheaper route of buying the original leather wrap. But if they do decide to spend their money they should know what they are getting.

Got ya, I see what you're mean and I agree.

This Shift Plate is the same pattern we were making in 2007. If you buy it, and are unhappy, you can return it.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO.com

Rick, I have to be honest then. If the shift plate being sold is the same as the one in 2007 and it's the more open version, then why the hell do you have this photo on your site?!:
http://dmoco.com/images/Shifter_Plate_Large.jpg

Please understand that it is extremely misleading and frustrating being a customer that wants the product you describe and advertise, but not the product you actually provide.

Luckily on DMCTalk, we're able to see the actual product, but what about the people that buy off the website expecting it to look like whats on the site?

Same thing goes for the polished shifter knob. If you're going to sell polished shifter knobs that's fine (there's probably even a market), just show a photo of a polished shifter, not a brushed one as is shown here:
http://www.dmoco.com/images/Shifter_Ball_Large.jpg

A business model should not be that they send the customer something different than what they advertise, but they justify it because the customer can send it back if they dont like it. That is ridiculously inconvenient and frustrating. Just post a picture of, and describe what you're actually selling.

I was a person who got on the preorder list, found out about the wide open design, got off the preorder list, then almost got back on the preorder list when I found out the '2007 version' was being sold because I assumed it was what was on the website, then out of instinct deciding instead to wait and see what was actually being sold before purchasing. Now I'm glad I did not get back on the list, because it is clearly not what is being advertised.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way either.

Tillsy
12-04-2012, 01:43 AM
I was a person who got on the preorder list, found out about the wide open design, got off the preorder list, then almost got back on the preorder list when I found out the '2007 version' was being sold because I assumed it was what was on the website, then out of instinct deciding instead to wait and see what was actually being sold before purchasing. Now I'm glad I did not get back on the list, because it is clearly not what is being advertised.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way either.

Definitely not alone!

Patrick C
12-04-2012, 09:50 AM

Agreed. I would rather spend more time tweaking the linkage and having the original style/tighter gate. The new one is way too wide open.

thirdmanj
12-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Agreed. I would rather spend more time tweaking the linkage and having the original style/tighter gate. The new one is way too wide open.

That's what happens when you try to dress up our silly little cars and "play Ferrari".

DMOCO Rick
12-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Guys,
Our intention was not to deceive you. Our website had old pictures from when we first made these shift plates. We sold the plates with the current pictures for 3 years, without anyone saying anything. I've updated the pictures to reflect the current Shift plate "Gate" opening. You may have to hit refresh on your browsers to show them. The slow sales and some returns on these kits show that you guys haven't been too happy, and I can't blame you. I hope you see we are trying to correct the issue.

Thanks,

Rick
DMOCO

Jimmyvonviggle
12-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I received my shifter plate and ball today and here is my review;

Overall I am happy with it, but there are a few ways it can be better. The good is it comes well packaged with straight forward instructions, and installation takes no more than 5 minutes.

What I didn't like is that the ball is polished and the plate is grained. I would have liked them to match, either way I didn't care but felt they should match.

While the shift pattern is open, the addition of a rubber boot ( for lack of a better term) underneath finishes off the plate well. However the way our cars go when you shift in 2nd or 4th gear the stick just barely goes inside its slot. They should have made those two slots higher to catch the stick better.

So like I said I am more happy with it than not, but the ball does bug me.

Nicholas R
12-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I received my shifter plate and ball today and here is my review;

Overall I am happy with it, but there are a few ways it can be better. The good is it comes well packaged with straight forward instructions, and installation takes no more than 5 minutes.

What I didn't like is that the ball is polished and the plate is grained. I would have liked them to match, either way I didn't care but felt they should match.

While the shift pattern is open, the addition of a rubber boot ( for lack of a better term) underneath finishes off the plate well. However the way our cars go when you shift in 2nd or 4th gear the stick just barely goes inside its slot. They should have made those two slots higher to catch the stick better.

So like I said I am more happy with it than not, but the ball does bug me.

If the shifter goes into the slots of 2nd and 4th a different amount than it goes into 1st and 3rd, then you should adjust your shifter linkage. The solid linkage can be extended and contracted to adjust the forward and aft positioning of the shifter.

Jimmyvonviggle
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Ok. I'll probably let Dave S do that when he gets my car.