PDA

View Full Version : DMC Houston!

OverlandMan
08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I had a chance to visit the DMC-Houston facility yesterday and was very impressed by both the facility and the staff. James Espey was very helpful and gave me a cool tour. Check out my updated restoration blog for pics and more info: http://dmctx.blogspot.com/

Props to these guys for their dedication!

Domi
08-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Cool pictures, thanks for sharing!

Kenny_Z
08-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Very cool photos. Thanks for sharing.

Did you happen to get a close look at that red rear fender? I think there was a short discussion about it in the Painted Delorean thread. We were trying to figure out if it was a base and clear or just a candy over bare stainless.

OverlandMan
08-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Very cool photos. Thanks for sharing.

Did you happen to get a close look at that red rear fender? I think there was a short discussion about it in the Painted Delorean thread. We were trying to figure out if it was a base and clear or just a candy over bare stainless.

No I saw it but didn't really investigate or take a close look. I would email James (or PM him here on the forum) and see what he says if you're curious.

Dangermouse
08-28-2012, 04:54 PM
iirc it is a tinted clearcoat.

DMCVegas
08-29-2012, 01:30 AM
iirc it is a tinted clearcoat.

Wasn't that one of the test "paints" that DMC was working with, but kept on peeling in humid environments so they never got to fully develop once funds ran out?

Kenny_Z
08-29-2012, 12:56 PM
If I ever end up visiting DMCH that is the part I'm going to search out to look at. The tinted clear sounds interesting. I think even today's paints would have trouble sticking to bare stainless so I can imagine what they had in the 80s.

john 05141
08-31-2012, 05:07 AM
That matte black Delorean (last picture) is great. I believe Steven's son drives it. It was at Orlando, only it had these ugly Jalopnik stickers on it. (Did not like the big DMC sticker on the hood either) But with those alloys.. sharp.

John