PDA

View Full Version : Vent outlet door

Henrik
08-31-2012, 09:54 AM
As I removed the vent outlet in the BOTH of my doors I found this:
In the picture you can see the vent outlet (#100761) from behind. In my hand I am holding a little flexible rubber mat and on the desk is a hard plastic piece that is identical to the door that is already installed in the vent (opens/blocks the air flow). Both of these pieces were just laying there in the duct and I assume they are meant to help sealing the vent door. I also assume they should be sandwiched like this in the vent: door#1/rubber piece/door#2. Am I correct? If so, what is the best way to reattach the loose door and rubber piece onto the door in the vent? Glue?

DMCH James
08-31-2012, 10:06 AM
As I removed the vent outlet in the BOTH of my doors I found this:
In the picture you can see the vent outlet (#100761) from behind. In my hand I am holding a little flexible rubber mat and on the desk is a hard plastic piece that is identical to the door that is already installed in the vent (opens/blocks the air flow). Both of these pieces were just laying there in the duct and I assume they are meant to help sealing the vent door. I also assume they should be sandwiched like this in the vent: door#1/rubber piece/door#2. Am I correct? If so, what is the best way to reattach the loose door and rubber piece onto the door in the vent? Glue?

3M spray adhesive is what we use here. Also while you're in there, if you haven't already, do the expanding foam in around the vent upgrade to help keep the cold air coming out the vent and not going inside the door itself.

James

Henrik
08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
That's great. Thanks, James! Delorean owners do indeed have the world's best support system.

And yes, I do have the Delorean magazine where it is outlined how to "foam" in the vent. I assume I'm gonna need the Seal #106265 regardless?

DMCH James
08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
That's great. Thanks, James! Delorean owners do indeed have the world's best support system.

And yes, I do have the Delorean magazine where it is outlined how to "foam" in the vent. I assume I'm gonna need the Seal #106265 regardless?

Typically only if it's damaged/deteriorated when you take it out.

James

mluder
08-31-2012, 12:19 PM
3M spray adhesive is what we use here. Also while you're in there, if you haven't already, do the expanding foam in around the vent upgrade to help keep the cold air coming out the vent and not going inside the door itself.

James

Which 3M adhesive do you use, James? I tried their trim adhesive and it fell off a day later.

Also, that rubber piece and the plastic retainer is no longer available, correct? I had ordered a new vent piece last year and it was not part of the assembly.

Cheers
Steve

82DMC12
08-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Did you try 3m emblem adhesive? It works on plastic.

ccurzio
09-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I am bookmarking this thread because a few months ago during a project to replace my window motors and door lock actuators I found this assembly and could not for the life of me figure out where it went.

Ron: look familiar? :)

Ron
09-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Yep, IIRC, the best we came up with was that it was maybe part of federal flow through ventilation requirements?

Tillsy
09-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Oh... it didn't even occur to me they would stick to the back of the flap.

Mine were exactly like yours - just sitting in there. I simply took them out. I'll fix them to the back of the flaps when I get around to installing my replacement actuators, power window motors, etc.