PDA

View Full Version : Engine Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Ashyukun
06-22-2011, 11:11 AM
As I'm considering doing some exhaust work on 16655 (replacing the stock system with a custom-built setup) while I'm running through the laundry list of things I'm doing while the fascias are refinished and the seats re-covered, I'm pretty likely to be either removing or having the manifolds removed, and will need to replace the gaskets.

What I'm curious about is the advantages/disadvantages of the different gaskets that are available. Both Hervey and DMC sell the OEM gaskets, which look to be individual gaskets for each cylinder output, as well as Hervey selling a 'one-piece' gasket for a bit more. Is there that much of an advantage to the one-piece (Volvo, it seems) design?

nofear365
06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Not sure about any advantages but I'm currently running with the ones Hervey sells. I've had them now for 3 years or so, no issues what so ever. Installation kit came with everything needed according to my mechanic. The job was relatively easy for him.

Hope this helps.

content22207
06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
OEM gaskets are a fiberous material that eventually disintegrates. Can't tell from the picture on Houston's website if they still sell the fiberous ones. Hervey's OEM style gaskets are obviously made of perforated metal.

Bill Robertson

David T
06-22-2011, 12:28 PM
As important as the gaskets are the hardware, the studs and nuts, are VERY important. My suggestion is to replace ALL of the old stuff with S/S studs and brass nuts (if you can get them). At the very least reassemble with Never Seize liberally applied. If the surfaces are not flat they must be ground or planed flat. Do NOT rely on the gaskets to make up imperfections.
David Teitelbaum

content22207
06-22-2011, 12:32 PM
... brass nuts (if you can get them).

McMaster Part #90690A052.

Bill Robertson

nofear365
06-22-2011, 12:40 PM
The kit I bought came with everything

thegovernor9912
06-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Grady sells a kit that he put together several years ago, with everything you need so you don't have to tackle this again. You HAVE to call him to order it.

82DMC12
06-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Grady sells a kit that he put together several years ago, with everything you need so you don't have to tackle this again. You HAVE to call him to order it.

Yup, definitely get Grady's kit and go for the Volvo gaskets. I have a spare set of the DMCH ones, anyone who wants them can have them.

The Volvo ones weren't too expensive and seemed to be a lot more reliable-looking long-term.

Here's a pic with part number showing:

jmrydholm
06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
I've got John Hervey's gasket kit as well. I'd like to eventually buy the headers and muffler kit later on.

-John

Nicholas R
06-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Definitely get the Stainless Steel one piece gaskets, makes the job a lot easier, and they're more reliable. I put them on when I put the UK exhaust system on my car and haven't had any trouble at all.