PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Be on the lookout - stolen front Grill in Atlanta

nullset
09-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Someone stole my front grill today in a parking lot in Atlanta. It is easily identifiable by me. If you see one come up for sale, please let me know.

Does anyone know of a way to secure the grill to prevent this from happening?

--buddy

Dangermouse
09-04-2012, 07:11 PM
At work?

nullset
09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
It was stolen from the publix on North Ave. I was in there for less than 10 minutes, when I came back it was gone.

Dangermouse
09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Bat rastards ! I feel for you.

nullset
09-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Fortunately I have a backup, but it doesn't have the 'DMC' logo on it. I also have one from the project car, with logo.

The cost to replace it is below my insurance deductible, so there's no point reporting it unless I want higher rates. I'm very unhappy right now.

--buddy

Delorean02378
09-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I have one for sale on Ebay right now but I it obviously wasn't me because my auction started on Saturday. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. That kind of stuff just pisses me off. If I see another for sale, I'll let you know.

Kirk

nullset
09-04-2012, 08:18 PM
I have one for sale on Ebay right now but I it obviously wasn't me because my auction started on Saturday. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. That kind of stuff just pisses me off. If I see another for sale, I'll let you know.

Kirk

I am watching your auction! :)

PS: Kirk stole my grill!
PPS: Just kidding. Some other jerk did, though.

--buddy

Delorean02378
09-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Buddy,

Kyle and I own the grill so I had to check with him first. If you want it for $70.00 plus shipping I'll end the auction now. It's not perfect but it will work. If you want additional pictures, let me know.

Kirk

nullset
09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Wow, that's very kind of you. I do have a backup brand new grill, that's just missing the DMC logo and the studs.

I also have a complete grill from my project car. I would feel like I was taking advantage of you at that price, but I do greatly appreciate the offer.

I may try to machine my own front DMC logo, since I have access to a CNC, and it could be a fun learning project. I'm also going to work on an anti-theft system for these grills.

--buddy

Bikercmbc
09-04-2012, 08:34 PM
You can still get the DMC logo $50 and the studs are $2.50 each. If you need the spire locks that hold the emblem on I can match them on some Mercedes parts

DL4567
09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Sorry to hear about this Buddy. That is something I've been paranoid about ever since learning how easily they come off years ago. Maybe drilling a hole through one of the ball studs on each end and pushing a wire through from the backside after the grill is inserted would do the trick? (of course, this would mean having the high beams out to install/uninstall the grill). Don't know if there's room for this, I haven't looked at these parts closely in years.

adam_knox
09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Buddy, sorry to heard about that. :frown: I don't know how the grill is attached, but if it's bolted on, maybe you could use those safety bolts used on arcades and in restrooms. The head of the bolt has a starred insert for the bit with a peg in the middle. Most random vandals don't seem to have the bit handy to remove them. Did you see if Publix has some security footage of the parking lot? Maybe they can at least get a lead to forward onto the police. I hope the thieves feel remorseful, professionally restore your grill and give it back to you with a Publix gift card as an apology... In the meantime, it would be great to see you cut an emblem and post the process! =)

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/103727193/Safety_bolt.jpg

Ron
09-04-2012, 09:40 PM
What a drag!

I was going to suggest the security cameras (too)...seems there are several in that area?

LEVY
09-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I dont't believe it is going to be up fot sale any time soon. It probably is hanging on a wall of a dumb kid bedroom.

Notifier
09-04-2012, 10:03 PM
People suck! Anyway, easy way to secure your front grill:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/05/u3esa4er.jpg

I used two, 1" #10 stainless sheet metal spanner screws. Catches the inside plastic part of the bumper. If someone really wanted to get it off they could, but probably rip the bumper off in the process. At some point I will paint them black. I prefer the spanner screws as opposed to the type above only because the star or allen drive type can easily be defeated with a small enough screw driver. I know because I come across those type of screws everyday at work and that's what I use to unscrew them!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/05/7u8ebyta.jpg

I guess you could also connect up your grill with a trip wire. Pull the grill off the horn starts beeping. Probably wouldn't deter them, but would at least scare the s*** out of whoever pulls it off!

Buddy- send me a PM and I'll send you a couple of these spanners, I've got a box of them. You've just got to get your hands on a driver.

Bitsyncmaster
09-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I can not pull my grill off by hand. I did have it off not long ago and put new clips and studs on it. I was going to pull it to see how much room I have to put those locking screws in. Does anyone have a photo with the grill removed to show where those screws would bolt to?

tyb323
09-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Those guys on reddit sure were helpful weren't they...

Dangermouse
09-06-2012, 07:11 PM
You'll have to explain that one ?

Notifier
09-06-2012, 09:01 PM
I can not pull my grill off by hand. I did have it off not long ago and put new clips and studs on it. I was going to pull it to see how much room I have to put those locking screws in. Does anyone have a photo with the grill removed to show where those screws would bolt to?

They will screw right into those gray plastic wedged shaped supports. I took the grill off, lined up by eye where the screws would hit the support, and pre-drilled with a 7/64" drill bit into the grill. Reinstalled the grill and threaded in the screw just so they hit and leave a mark on the support, then backed out the screw. Removed the grill again and pre-drilled the grey support where the screw left the mark. Then reinstalled the grill and tightened down the screw. Repeat for the other side. I pre-drilled just in case, didn't want to split or crack anything, although the plastic did feel rather soft. Just make sure you protect your bumper when drilling because the drill chuck may mark up the top of the bumper if you're not careful.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/07/y3y9ana2.jpg

Dangermouse
09-06-2012, 09:25 PM
You'll have to explain that one ?

Nevermind. Worked it out

Gatech

Bitsyncmaster
09-07-2012, 04:52 AM
They will screw right into those gray plastic wedged shaped supports. I took the grill off, lined up by eye where the screws would hit the support, and pre-drilled with a 7/64" drill bit into the grill. Reinstalled the grill and threaded in the screw just so they hit and leave a mark on the support, then backed out the screw. Removed the grill again and pre-drilled the grey support where the screw left the mark. Then reinstalled the grill and tightened down the screw. Repeat for the other side. I pre-drilled just in case, didn't want to split or crack anything, although the plastic did feel rather soft. Just make sure you protect your bumper when drilling because the drill chuck may mark up the top of the bumper if you're not careful.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/07/y3y9ana2.jpg

Thanks. That is just what I was looking for. I may pull the grill if I can without pulling the head lights. Maybe even counter bore so the heads of the screws sink flush.

Bitsyncmaster
09-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I was able to pull my grill (won't say how I did it). It really takes a lot of force on my car so not sure anyone could do it quickly without experience. But looking at the supports, it looks like Notifier has come up with the best solution. Not a lot of material on the grill to countersink the screws but maybe can be done. I could put a fiberglass build up inside the grill there (plenty of clearance). But just the screw would prevent anyone pulling it off on my car.

I'm going to look what my hardware store has for screws.

It would be easy to add an alarm switch if the grill is removed. I do have that spare ground wire running back to the relay compartment. But then what's to prevent them from running off with the grill when the horn starts blowing.

Soundkillr
09-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Ask to review security footage. May point you in a direction....

rothsean
09-07-2012, 11:41 PM
I would just move away from Atlanta.... Oh, I did 5 years ago, Stockbridge to be exact. The homies destroyed the nice neighborhood that we were living in there at the time. It is a shame. I went back 2 years ago and it looked like the hood.

Bitsyncmaster
09-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I installed the spanner type screws. True Value had them. I got #14 x 1.5" long. I just dabbed some black RTV over the stainless screw heads but may take them out and paint them black. Just not sure how long that black paint would stay on.

If I had my headlights out I think I would make up an L bracket so it could be bolted to the back side of the grill and then bolted to the stainless back plate.

Notifier
09-08-2012, 04:47 PM
I installed the spanner type screws. True Value had them. I got #14 x 1.5" long. I just dabbed some black RTV over the stainless screw heads but may take them out and paint them black. Just not sure how long that black paint would stay on.

If I had my headlights out I think I would make up an L bracket so it could be bolted to the back side of the grill and then bolted to the stainless back plate.

Awesome! Added this to the "How To" thread for future reference. Feel free to add anything.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5108-How-to-better-secure-your-front-grill&referrerid=128