PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen (Vendors) – Start your Spellcheckers

Dangermouse
09-10-2012, 05:49 PM
May I politely request that our wonderful vendors take a look at their websites, user names etc and be consistent in their spelling of DeLorean?

I know some are very good and some are 50/50, and those that are just starting out have the opportunity to get it correct right from the start.

While members on this board may flit between Delorean and DeLorean due to varying typing skills and devices, I think that our vendors and related websites should set the example and keep the bar high with a consistent image.

Owners that don’t care how it’s spelled won’t notice that it’s wrong, but owners that do, will. Protection of the Marque is important (jeez, now I’m starting to sound like the DOA)

stevedmc
09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Delor.I.Was

Dangermouse
09-10-2012, 07:18 PM
DeLor.i.was Steve please

Michael
09-10-2012, 07:37 PM
I believe both uses are accurate. I can't remember where I read this(I think Kathryn D. mentioned it once in writing, but again not sure), but JZD spelled his name both "DeLorean" and "Delorean" As I recall he started spelling with the cap. "L" to make it seem more prominent(or French according to some).

PS: Then there is the use of the space to consider.

ccurzio
09-10-2012, 08:04 PM
The Special T website is littered with atrocious spelling. He (very literally) can't even spell "o2" correctly.

Dangermouse
09-10-2012, 08:15 PM
I can't say I have seen his name spelled Delorean, at least in a document that he sourced. But K would know better.

His company was De Lorean, as was his business card. So i took it that this was the correct spelling The rise of the Internet seems to have erased the "space" from many names and places.

Shep
09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Owners that don’t care how it’s spelled won’t notice that it’s wrong, but owners that do, will.Not necessarily. I've always spelled it DeLorean and feel that's the "proper" way to spell it, but I only occasionally spot someone spelling it with a lowercase "L". Often I don't even notice, whether for lack of good eyesight (I rarely wear my glasses while on my laptop), or for the simple fact that it's entirely debatable. It's not like the phrase "so your saying" where the English language dictates it should actually be "you're" as in "you are" and not "your" as in "something you possess", it's one of those things where even in DMC it was spelled both ways by various employees. In some cases the same employee spelled it both ways. The same applies to the half-space DMC used: modern computers don't have half-spaces (easily, anyways), but typewriters of the era did, so should it be a full space or no space at all?

I'll agree to the whole consistency thing in that any website (vendor or personal) should spell it in a uniform manner, excepting quotations which vendors generally lack anyways, but there's no way to get everyone to agree on what spelling is "correct". If you'll notice, the bigger vendors have it in all capitals in their logos to avoid the issue entirely (DMCH/DMCMW/DMCFL, DPI, PJ Grady, others I can't be arsed to check), but frankly I've seen my fair share of vendor sites with bigger problems than typos. The DMCH/DMCMW store for example rejects email address changes (silently), and produces a javascript error when you click a product's image to enlarge it, meaning the whole "click image for options" thing found on the keyless entry system and the dummy switches doesn't actually work. I can't figure out the validation and URL patterning, so I can't manually bypass those errors either.

For what it's worth, where I work, typos are given the lowest priority, and there are quite a few that have been siting in our bug tracker for several months and haven't gotten fixed yet. It's just not worth the time and effort to track down the origin of the typo unless you're already working on that part of the system.