PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Washer fluid cap

ArthurCaverly
09-17-2012, 07:46 PM
My washer fluid cap seems to be the correct part, but the threads are mostly stripped out and doesn't really stay on the tank very well, and it leaks from cornering if the tank is more than half full. I was wondering if anyone has a new one, or if there is a known replacement for it from some other vehicle. Any info would be helpful!

Thanks

Arthur

nkemp
09-17-2012, 08:51 PM
FWIW ...My cap threads don't seem to match the bottle as well.

Nick

Mark D
09-17-2012, 10:37 PM
The threads on my cap also fit a little loose. The translucent clear HDPE caps are no longer available so I would hang onto it. Take it with you to the hardware store and find a flat rubber washer/gasket that fits inside and that will help seal things up better when you tighten it down.

Otherwise I think DMCH has black reproductios if you don't care about keeping the stock look.

Bitsyncmaster
09-18-2012, 05:46 AM
Mine is cracked so I never fill the bottle. Never used the washer anyway.

stevedmc
09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
My washer fluid cap seems to be the correct part, but the threads are mostly stripped out and doesn't really stay on the tank very well, and it leaks from cornering if the tank is more than half full.

Steve Rice had the same problem until he wrapped some black electical tape around the threads on the tank. Steve Rice's washer fluid cap now stays snug and tight and he has zero leaks from the washer fluid tank.

nkemp
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
It may be better to use silicone tape. It does not have any adhesive and bonds to itself. I don't care for electrical tape (especially the cheap stuff) since it seems to shrink, exposing sticky stuff. The cheap stuff simply fails to adhere long term.

stevedmc
09-18-2012, 10:42 AM
It may be better to use silicone tape. It does not have any adhesive and bonds to itself. I don't care for electrical tape (especially the cheap stuff) since it seems to shrink, exposing sticky stuff. The cheap stuff simply fails to adhere long term.

Nonsense! Steve Rice applied electical tape to the neck of his washer fluid tank over a year ago and the repair has been holding up fine. It isn't even noticble unless someone knows to look for it. If you ask him nicely, he might show it to you next month in Lexington, NC.

nkemp
09-18-2012, 10:52 AM
I didn't say it doesn't work or that his fix was wrong/bad/failed/etc. I was just offering up an alternative so that we can grow the knowledge-base.

ArthurCaverly
09-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I tried a thin rubber gasket, but then no threads engaged... I will try the electrical tape tomorrow, seems like a good idea, thanks!

Arthur

Spittybug
09-19-2012, 11:15 AM
In a similar problem... I found deep blue coloring on my garage floor under my WW box. Either a hose has become disconnected or my bottle has cracked. Looks like another trip under the car to unbolt that box again. I see that they are no longer available at DMCH if it proves to be the bottle itself. Has anyone replaced theirs with an aftermarket generic? Any brands/model numbers to share?

stevedmc
09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Either a hose has become disconnected or my bottle has cracked. Looks like another trip under the car to unbolt that box again. I see that they are no longer available at DMCH if it proves to be the bottle itself.

Steve Rice seems to remember someone recovering their cracked coolant reservoir in fiberglass. Steve Rice didn't think it was a good idea for something that holds hot coolant but this could be a good idea for a cracked washer fuild bottle. You would only need to purchase a $10 fiberglass kit from Walmart to try it.

Mark D
09-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I fixed my cracked bottle very easily with a small piece of plastic cut from a milk jug and a heat gun. The washer bottle is made of the same plastic (high density polyethylene) so you can melt weld a patch over the crack. I had pics back on .com, I'll try to dig them up and post here.

dmc6960
09-19-2012, 05:03 PM
I fixed my cracked bottle very easily with a small piece of plastic cut from a milk jug and a heat gun. The washer bottle is made of the same plastic (high density polyethylene) so you can melt weld a patch over the crack. I had pics back on .com, I'll try to dig them up and post here.

Good ol' HDPE #2.

Mark D
09-20-2012, 01:43 AM
Crack repair thread here:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5243-How-To-Repair-Cracked-Washer-Fluid-Bottle&p=74557#post74557

ed uding
10-02-2012, 04:18 AM
We have fount a old stock with new washer fluid caps.
Cost include shipping is €9,00 / $12,00