PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild?

Chris Burns
09-25-2012, 12:40 AM
What would an engine rebuild on a Delorean cost? One person said it would run 5500. Just curious.:headscratch:

DMC3165
09-25-2012, 02:40 AM
It depends on where you get the parts from and who does the work. Blocks in good condition are extremely hard to come by. PJ Grady does have piston and liner kits as well as heads. But if your block is cracked or rots out you'll be hard pressed to find a new one. I've seen running used ones in good condition go for as little as $1200.

dmc6960
09-25-2012, 08:51 AM
If everything in the engine is in generally good shape and all your doing is a completely teardown, cleaning, and rebuilding, then your looking at about $1000-1500 for all of the parts and *machine shop labor* to refinish particular parts. The machine shop would do things like polishing the crankshaft journals, refinishing the heads, and cleaning/hottank of the block and lower crank.

If you find something wrong like a rotted block or excessively worn camshafts or valves then now your looking at a whole lot more.

To have the complete rebuild done by a mechanic you can probably double that first price I gave.

LEVY
09-25-2012, 08:55 AM
What would an engine rebuild on a Delorean cost? One person said it would run 5500. Just curious.:headscratch:

So you are looking at a very cheap Delorean with a bad engine, why don't you post it as you are posting all the other Delorean for sale?

Just curious :D

LEVY

Chris Burns
09-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Actually I am still learning about the Delorean. I was wondering just in case if I had to do a engine rebuild (hopefully I won't!). It will be probably be another 5 or 10 years before I can buy a Delorean, but I still plan on being a part of the Stainless Community!

Income has been hit and miss for me, so buying a Delorean right now wouldn't be a good idea probably. Plus it's better knowing what you are getting into before you buy a Delorean:smile:

OverlandMan
09-25-2012, 10:59 AM

When I was looking at that $4k Dallas car that had the engine removed I called down to DMCH and spoke w/ Steve. He didn't give me an exact number for an engine rebuild because its really a case-by-case analysis. He did tell me that a NOS replacement engine from his warehouse, which is Stage II (all of his are now) was around $9k. That doesn't include the trans or other important parts.

Chris Burns
09-25-2012, 11:03 AM
When I was looking at that $4k Dallas car that had the engine removed I called down to DMCH and spoke w/ Steve. He didn't give me an exact number for an engine rebuild because its really a case-by-case analysis. He did tell me that a NOS replacement engine from his warehouse, which is Stage II (all of his are now) was around $9k. That doesn't include the trans or other important parts.

:(

Buy the best one you can afford!!

Morpheus
09-26-2012, 02:58 PM
It stands to reason that a 100% stock rebuild effort would be the cheapest, but if you were so inclined to improve performance just a tad while you are already in there, a set of cams wouldn't set you back much more. If you go crazy with performance pistons, etc. etc. it could get out of hand.

I intend on powder coating my block and possibly doing cams. Of course, I won't know if I need anything else till I get the heads off.

Delorean Industries
09-26-2012, 03:01 PM

And.... It is a 30 year old crate engine with 30+ year old rotating assembly components that has been stored in anything but ideal conditions.

dmc6960
09-26-2012, 03:20 PM
If you go crazy with performance pistons, etc. etc. it could get out of hand.

For a second there I thought you were calling me crazy. Upon reading it a second time I realize you did not. Therefore I must be crazy.

thirdmanj
09-26-2012, 03:42 PM
How much would it cost? Well, the D man knows....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenjgarner/3457023197/