PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Binnacle (preferably original leather)

Shep
10-21-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm looking for a binnacle. Ideally it would be the very early style leather binnacle, all original (i.e. not recovered). Worst case scenario, I'd be willing to make do with a usual vinyl binnacle and have it recovered to match the original, early style leather ones. I checked all 20 pages of this forum, and all the binnacles have already been sold, so hopefully someone knows someone who has one. The reproduction DMCH units that are in the works do not interest me since those are plastic and thus not recoverable (nor authentic).

Ideally, it would be one of these four:
1 - original, early style leather binnacle (damage okay, but preferred without it)
2 - later style vinyl binnacle with damage to the vinyl (rips, tears, splitting, cracking, wear, anything that is fixed by recovering)
3 - later style vinyl binnacle with no damage
4 - binnacle recovered with another material, possibly with damage to said material.

In order of most desired to least desired.

So does anyone have any binnacles like this?

ccurzio
10-21-2012, 10:50 PM
What color?

Shep
10-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Forgot to mention, this will be going on VIN 559, hence my desire for an original leather binnacle.

What color?If it's the original leather, then black. Anything else I'm flexible on since I'll be recovering it to be a replica of the "correct" binnacle for my VIN.

kings1527
10-22-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm looking for one, too. Mine is a later vinyl binnacle and I need a gray one. In fact, I'll be redying it with the rest of the interior so the color is flexible. But I can't have any damage to it at all. Thanks.

Alex

Shep
10-22-2012, 09:31 AM
If anyone has any undamaged vinyl binnacles, please follow up with Alex first (one post above this one). I'd hate to take a good condition original binnacle when they're seemingly hard to come by, especially considering other owners would need them as-is, and I'd be recovering it. :)

Also of note: if anyone has a leather binnacle and is willing to trade for a vinyl one, that would be fine too. I'm really weighing my options at this point.

pezzonovante88
10-22-2012, 06:17 PM
I didn't even know they had leather ones on the earlier cars. Too bad they didn't do it on all the cars. Dammit, now I have to consider having my perfect condition vinyl binnacle recovered in leather.

Shep
10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
now I have to consider having my perfect condition vinyl binnacle recovered in leather.If I were you, I might want to try and source a binnacle with torn vinyl and trade for your good condition one, netting a little cash for the difference in condition. That should make up some of the cost of recovering, perhaps all depending on price difference and cost of recovering. Plus a good condition binnacle doesn't go to waste if you go that route.

Although the leather binnacles were phased out of production when VIN's were still in the triple digits, so unless the PO had one put in for a while, yours never had one. The reason why mine is missing is because VIN 559 was heavily cannibalized when it was still in the hands of DMC. Long story short, the binnacle was part of this cannibalization, and it was given a later version since that's all they had left at the time. I'm looking to correct this.

pezzonovante88
10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
If I were you, I might want to try and source a binnacle with torn vinyl and trade for your good condition one, netting a little cash for the difference in condition. That should make up some of the cost of recovering, perhaps all depending on price difference and cost of recovering. Plus a good condition binnacle doesn't go to waste if you go that route.

Although the leather binnacles were phased out of production when VIN's were still in the triple digits, so unless the PO had one put in for a while, yours never had one. The reason why mine is missing is because VIN 559 was heavily cannibalized when it was still in the hands of DMC. Long story short, the binnacle was part of this cannibalization, and it was given a later version since that's all they had left at the time. I'm looking to correct this.

Mine is way too late to have had the leather binnacle. A few owners ago, my binnacle was recovered in vinyl, so it's not original anyway. If I recover my binnacle in leather, I'm going to end up doing everything in leather, which is not a priority. So I think I'll hold off.
Good luck with yours, though.

fnzen
10-24-2012, 05:54 PM
vinyl has always been stock I have never heard of leather stock except the seats?????

thirdmanj
10-24-2012, 06:24 PM
vinyl has always been stock I have never heard of leather stock except the seats?????

Apparently really really REALLY early ones had leather ones.

Shep
10-24-2012, 08:09 PM
vinyl has always been stock I have never heard of leather stock except the seats?????The first 100-300 DeLoreans made came with leather binnacles (VIN's from 500 to somewhere in the 600's or 700's). I'm hoping to get one of these very rare gems to further restore 559 back to "original" condition. I got myself a leather binnacle from DMC California in the meantime, but I'm still looking for an original leather binnacle. Worst case scenario I'll get the leather redone to reproduce the original styling.