PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Steering Wheel - Stock, non-leather

Spittybug
10-29-2012, 04:51 PM
I recently read a post where someone was asking about early, non-wrapped steering wheels. I can't find that post however.

I have a very nice condition, non-wrapped, textured vinyl grip stock steering wheel for sale. It does NOT have the center pad. No cracking, no nicks or dings.

New is $339.27 :jawdrop: also without the center pad, but wrapped. Make me a reasonable offer if you are interested.

Dangermouse
10-29-2012, 04:59 PM
It was in Shep's 559 resto thread

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4117-VIN-559-Captain-s-Log&p=77558&viewfull=1#post77558

Spittybug
10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Humm, mine is different that that. The three spokes are not grained, but the wheel itself is. I have a notch at the 12:00 position, so maybe mine is a de-leathered one? If so, why would they have bothered to pattern the wheel with the graining?

Oh well, it is what it is and what you see is what you get! In this shot you can see the groove I'm talking about.

Shep
10-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Humm, mine is different that that. The three spokes are not grained, but the wheel itself is. I have a notch at the 12:00 position, so maybe mine is a de-leathered one? If so, why would they have bothered to pattern the wheel with the graining?Yes, this is a de-leathered one. This is what DMCH James told me when I asked about the early vinyl one:

At one time, it was believed that one could simply remove the leather from their wheel and expose [the vinyl] underneath. Unfortunately, the wrapped wheels have a groove cut into the top center for the seam of the leather and the ends of the spokes nearest the center of the wheel are often shave slightly and the grain removed.The reason it has the grain at all is because that's the way the vinyl comes out of the mold. Whether the mold has the grain or whether it's a byproduct of the manufacturing process I'm not sure, but your steering wheel appears to be a later wheel missing the leather.

Hope this helps! :wink:

EDIT: Just a note: DMCH James sold me the last sellable vinyl steering wheel he had for the same price of a leather one, $339.27