PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Luggage Compartment Hinges

vwdmc16
11-08-2012, 03:00 AM
It seems that not just one but both of my hinge have sheared pins. This is resulting in a poor alignment and potentially a deadly accident if they fail completely, Anyone have some good used hinges? Maybe someone kept the old ones around and went to stainless ones. I cant pull $110 for a pair of hinges right now. Help a guy out.....

Clint

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/dmc/20121107_234345.jpg

DMC5180
11-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Did you consider removing the Pin pieces and trying to find a suitable replacement. The pin is tack welded on one or both ends. Grind it flush and see if you can knock it out. You may need to apply some heat to cook the rust. once you have it out, see if you can find a pin or rod material to replace it with. Then re-tack weld it and paint it (SEM trim Black) and reinstall. I replaced my hinges with NOS 15 years ago for the same reason. Back then Hinges were still available and reasonable (Not $100 +) Yeah I know they are Stainless.

Dangermouse
11-10-2012, 08:19 PM
I think Sean had a couple in his Parts Clear out thread over in the For Sale section ?

Or we're they engine cover hinges?

Iznodmad
11-10-2012, 08:31 PM
I bought some stainless ones just for the hell of it at DCS. I have yet to install them and I have no idea when I will get around to it. Part of the project involves fitting a spare NOS grooved hood I have in storage. When I finally do, I'd be willing to sell you the originals in perfect shape for a reasonable cheap price. The biggest problem is me getting around to doing the complete project, it would likely be in the spring before I can tend to the project. You willing to wait?

vwdmc16
11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Sure, I replaced the pin in the passenger side to give it a few years, I have serious doubts that I can get the bolts out that secure the hinges to the body without shearing. but still I need new hinges.

vwdmc16
11-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Scary huh? I dont want to think about having to drill out and re-tap those holes.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/vwdmc16/dmc/IMG_0760.jpg

Iznodmad
11-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Alrighty then, I'll keep you in mind when I finally get it done. Anyone that reads this and wants to help expedite a DeLorean community good deed, just let me know. I could use the help. Otherwise, it will wait for my spring tech session.

DMCMW Dave
11-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Scary huh? I dont want to think about having to drill out and re-tap those holes.

They are aluminum RivNuts, you don't tap them you replace them. The difficulty in that location is access unless you remove the headlight brackets.

DMC5180
11-10-2012, 11:20 PM
They are aluminum RivNuts, you don't tap them you replace them. The difficulty in that location is access unless you remove the headlight brackets.

Are you sure about that? I have Metal plates on the back side with 4 nuts welded to it.

Clint, take a look inside the Jack storage compartment. The bolt heads may be surface rusted but perhaps the threads aren't that bad. Regardless, you should be able get some penetrating oil on the exposed threads (soaked Q-tips). Also, if you have a small impact wrench or Cordless electric impact with an extension you should be able to get them loose (with the Headlight buckets/bracket out of the way)

DMC5180
11-10-2012, 11:53 PM
That back plate is 108034 used (FROM VIN 1302) also NLA