PDA

View Full Version : Wanted OEM/NOS Wide Black Side Stripe Wanted

sdg3205
11-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Yes, I know it's a shot in the dark.

Cannot be a reproduction. Original only.

I know they pop up once in a blue moon.

PM me if you've got one you'd like to sell.

Dangermouse
11-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Do the originals have the DMC letters cut in them or is that just the repros?

DMCMW Dave
11-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Do the originals have the DMC letters cut in them or is that just the repros?

The originals have the letters printed on the tape, and that area of the tape is smooth around the letter and textured everywhere else. The repros are textured everywhere and the letters are cut out.

sdg3205
11-10-2012, 03:58 PM
From a distance they're hard to tell apart (original vs repro) however originals in good shape look nice up close, whereas I find the repros look less so.

Just my humble opinion.

Michael
11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Remember if you want them to apply to your car, the adhesive is 30 years old and may not be usable. Unless you are doing this for a concours car, I would just go with some of the aftermarket offerings. There is one aftermarket stripe that has the lettering printed on the tape, but I don't remember who was making them.

sdg3205
11-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Remember if you want them to apply to your car, the adhesive is 30 years old and may not be usable. Unless you are doing this for a concours car, I would just go with some of the aftermarket offerings. There is one aftermarket stripe that has the lettering printed on the tape, but I don't remember who was making them.

If the adhesive on the NOS label kits still works fine I'd be inclined to give the adhesive on the stripe a shot.

Iznodmad
11-10-2012, 04:57 PM
The adhesive will be fine. I had an original thin grey stripe applied to my 83 DeLorean this year. I do have an unused original thick black stripe in my collection of rare DeLorean parts, but it's not for sale. If you keep looking long enough, you will find one for sale. Good luck.

sdg3205
11-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I do have an unused original thick black stripe in my collection of rare DeLorean parts, but it's not for sale.

Now that's just mean! (jks)

Jimmyvonviggle
11-11-2012, 06:32 PM
The only problem with the original stripe is the DMC tends to rub out or fade. If I had to replace my stripe I would go with the new style where the DMC is cut out, it makes more sense exposing the ss.