PDA

View Full Version : Just checking in..

Chris Burns
12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Hey guys just wanted everyone to know that I'm ok. No personal computer for me for awhile. Trying to get work is a nightmare, but I must go on:wave2:

timothymoore
12-28-2012, 05:01 PM
nice to see your still around chris. hopefully you can get back online soon.

Dangermouse
12-28-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry, have we met? :)

Saw your earlier posts from the library, so I knew you were OK. Hopefully 2013 brings you employment luck.

EdFerri
12-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Yo Chris...
I thought you moved far away to a land with no Internet....

louielouie2000
12-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Chris, have you considered moving to another city/state where the unemployment rate isn't so high? I know Florida in general was pretty decimated by the recession. I assume you are claiming unemployment; you can draw that anywhere. When I was laid off at the height of the recession & couldn't find work in Charlotte (NC) I moved back to Austin (TX). The unemployment rate here in Austin is 4.9%... currently one of the lowest for large metropolitan cities in the nation. All large cities in Texas have robust economies right now (San Antonio, Austin, Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston)... and like Florida, we have no state income tax. Just some food for thought!

OverlandMan
12-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Chris, have you considered moving to another city/state where the unemployment rate isn't so high? I know Florida in general was pretty decimated by the recession. I assume you are claiming unemployment; you can draw that anywhere. When I was laid off at the height of the recession & couldn't find work in Charlotte (NC) I moved back to Austin (TX). The unemployment rate here in Austin is 4.9%... currently one of the lowest for large metropolitan cities in the nation. All large cities in Texas have robust economies right now (San Antonio, Austin, Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston)... and like Florida, we have no state income tax. Just some food for thought!

Living in Texas...

Positives: No state income tax; moderate winters; state pride like no other state I've visited; only state in the country that was its own country at one point in time; generally speaking the people here are pretty friendly; terrific food (specifically Mexican & BBQ); multiple professional sports teams; a geographic region for just about anyone (coastal, plains, hill country, desert, mountains); wide open spaces.

Negatives: Jerry Jones; a crapload of fees to make up for no state income tax; summer time is hot as balls; too many damn toll roads; and for Austin specifically, watch out for all the annoying ass hipsters (they'll be wearing black-rimmed glasses, using macbook computers and hanging around coffee shops).

The pros still outweigh the cons. Just my observations and opinions. No political or other lines crossed I hope.

Chris - glad you're doing ok. Where's Dvonk been? Haven't seen him around in a while.

Dangermouse
12-31-2012, 12:54 AM
David (Dvonk) and I exchanged a few emails recently. He is settling into his new job with the railroad. He has a bunch of training and testing to do and has been deliberately staying away from this site as it can be a real time eater and he can't afford to be distracted.

All being well, he will be settled in sometime in the new year and can begin his search again with a bolstered bank account.

Chris, what about something further up the coast like Savannah or Charleston?

OverlandMan
12-31-2012, 08:46 AM
David (Dvonk) and I exchanged a few emails recently. He is settling into his new job with the railroad. He has a bunch of training and testing to do and has been deliberately staying away from this site as it can be a real time eater and he can't afford to be distracted.

All being well, he will be settled in sometime in the new year and can begin his search again with a bolstered bank account.

Thanks for the update Dangermouse! Glad David is doing well.

JW

Jimmyvonviggle
12-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Living in Texas...

Positives: No state income tax; moderate winters; state pride like no other state I've visited; only state in the country that was its own country at one point in time; generally speaking the people here are pretty friendly; terrific food (specifically Mexican & BBQ); multiple professional sports teams; a geographic region for just about anyone (coastal, plains, hill country, desert, mountains); wide open spaces.

Negatives: Jerry Jones; a crapload of fees to make up for no state income tax; summer time is hot as balls; too many damn toll roads; and for Austin specifically, watch out for all the annoying ass hipsters (they'll be wearing black-rimmed glasses, using macbook computers and hanging around coffee shops).

The pros still outweigh the cons. Just my observations and opinions. No political or other lines crossed I hope.

Chris - glad you're doing ok. Where's Dvonk been? Haven't seen him around in a while.

You forgot the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

ccurzio
12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
...in both categories.

Chris Burns
12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
I appreciate the kind words guys:biggrin:

Moving isn't an option for me right know, but I will be expanding my horizions for sure!