PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C AC issues

wtbstuff
06-28-2011, 02:02 PM
AC Issues.

I got the new hoses from Hervey with the split in the middle and went to install them this weekend with the help of some of the Delorean Mid State Club. We flushed evaporator and condenser, we flushed the cross over hose. Flushed the composer. When we were running the airsole cleaner through the condenser it wasn’t coming out. We had to put the air composer into it to blow it out. After that it passed the air. We put the new hoses on, new drier and the new variable orffice (the new style). We used the vacuum pump and got it down to negative 12. We turned off the vacuum pump and it held it for 30 minutes. We then started putting the Freon in it. The composer was short cycling as we filled it we got 2, 12 oz r12 in it. Then when adding the 3rd can the low side went down to zero and the composer wouldn’t come on. We then jumped the switch up front to try to get it on and it wouldn’t work. Are thought was that the condenser is plugged up.

I am thinking I should get a new condenser unit, a new crossover hose (just to change it the rest are new it should be too) and a new standard orifice tube to try and see if that fixes the problem.

The last time the ac worked was during the Kentucky show.

What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks
Jay

tgraham
06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
...the low side went down to zero and the composer wouldn’t come on. We then jumped the switch up front to try to get it on and it wouldn’t work.

The only way you would get no pressure is if the system depressurized (or if the gauge broke, but it sounds like you have more going on than that)... did you hear anything when things took a turn for the worse?

The system will have rest pressure assuming there is refrigerant in it. If you're sure your gauge is fine, check the whole system over and find out where the R-12 escaped. If you put dye in it, it should be easy to find the hole if it decompressed that rapidly (you'll probably have dye and oil all over the place) :)

If you jump the low pressure switch wire terminals, then that should force the compressor clutch to engage (just don't run it for any length of time like this). If it did not engage, then there is either an electrical issue or the compressor itself is broken - check to see if you're getting voltage at the compressor connector (with the switch jumped). If not, work backwards.

Given your symptoms, it sounds like the compressor could have blown (probably because of blockage - you mentioned having a tough time getting air through the condenser).

Good luck.

Travis

Bitsyncmaster
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
I had a problem installing VOV in mine. The pipe bent it to much for it to work. So when charging it the compressor would barley run a few second every minute.

So it does sound like your have something plugged but the low side should not have pulled down to zero. The low pressure switch should have shut off the compressor at 25 PSI.

I ended up using the standard orifice and am happy I did. There is less to go wrong since it has no moving parts.

FYI:
Your looking for a vacuum reading of 27 to 30 inches.