PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Want to swap a 3-speed auto gearbox with a 5-speed

dmcnorway
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Hi, I'm considering swapping a used 3-speed auto gearbox with a used 5-speed manual gearbox.
Gearbox located in Kentucky.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland

thirdmanj
01-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Aren't the frames for Auto and Manual different enough that it makes swapping them really complicated/ next to impossible without heavy modification?

dmcnorway
01-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Aren't the frames for Auto and Manual different enough that it makes swapping them really complicated/ next to impossible without heavy modification?

Nothing's impossible ;)
I've heard that they only differ where the actual shifter hole is. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland

thirdmanj
01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Nothing's impossible ;)
I've heard that they only differ where the actual shifter hole is. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland

Yeah, I didn't say it was. It's just that from what I understand its much more of an involved conversion then say, doing it on an old 60s or 70s muscle car.

Dangermouse
01-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Hi, I'm considering swapping a used 3-speed auto gearbox with a used 5-speed manual gearbox.
Gearbox located in Kentucky.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland

Which gearbox is in KY at present? It is not clear which one you currently own.

dmcnorway
01-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Which gearbox is in KY at present? It is not clear which one you currently own.

The 3-speed. I need a 5-speed.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland

Nicholas R
01-17-2013, 06:35 PM

Nothing's impossible ;)

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland

Yeah, I didn't say it was. It's just that from what I understand its much more of an involved conversion then say, doing it on an old 60s or 70s muscle car.

The conversion isn't too bad. I did it and documented it in my blog: Here (http://ls1delorean.blogspot.com/2012/03/two-weekends-of-madness.html)

Nicholas R
01-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Just keep in mind that you need a LOT more than just the manual transmission to do the swap. You may want to start putting feelers out for those parts because (at least in my experience) they are a lot more difficult to locate than just the gearbox itself. Honestly in my experience, locating all the required parts was more difficult than the actual frame modification.

Off the top of my head you'll need:
Manual Transmission
Manual Transmission mounting brackets
Flywheel
Clutch/Pressure Plate
Pilot Bearing
Throwout Bearing
Clutch Fork
Slave Cylinder
Slave cylinder hard line
Flexible clutch hydraulic line (probably SS)
Master Cylinder
Master Cylinder reservoir
Master Cylinder Reservoir line and bracket
Manual Pedal box
Shifter assembly
Rubber Dampener pad for shifter
Manual shifter linkages
Manual shifter pivot bracket
Cross shift linkage cable
Wire to ground neutral safety switch (home made)
Wire to hookup reverse light switch (home made)
All associated hardware, fluids, sealants, etc.

Truly, the best thing is to find someone with a parts car willing to sell you everything. This is what I did. Dave Bauerle in Columbus had acquired an un-titleable car in rough shape and I bought every hard to find part at one time.

Also there are only 2 differences in the frames. First is that the mounting plate for the automatic is quite a bit lower than the manual and has a different shape hole cut in it (rectangular rather than circular). You dont have to remove the automatic mounting plate; you just have to open the hole a little wider. The second difference is that the automatic frames do not have the hole drilled for the cross-shift linkage cable. You will have to locate and drill your own.

DCUK Martin
01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
I have the cad for this part so I could get it reproduced in the future. You need to cut a 1/2" wide strip from the left side of the hole, and you hae to drill the crossgate cable hole but otherwise this is all you need.

See this video from 4:00 for a look at this above part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMlmz3uZwT0

thirdmanj
01-18-2013, 08:21 AM
That's a fantastic vid, Martin! Thanks for sharing!

Nicholas R
01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
I have the cad for this part so I could get it reproduced in the future. You need to cut a 1/2" wide strip from the left side of the hole, and you hae to drill the crossgate cable hole but otherwise this is all you need.

Dammit Martin, why didn't you post this last year when I was doing my swap?! Haha, I definitely would have been a customer of yours for that piece.

DMC02766
01-20-2013, 09:59 AM

Martin, do you sell this part? I am seriously considering swapping mine over to a manual if I can find the needed pedal box. I just pulled the engine / tranny on mine last night and figured it would be nice to put it back as a manual when it goes back together.

DCUK Martin
01-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Yes sure, though probably not with the DMC logo :biggrin:

Silverbullet
01-20-2013, 09:03 PM
I watched the whole vid.... Loved it... lots of work... it would help people to understand, what it takes to own a running Delorean...

DMC5180
01-20-2013, 09:38 PM
I watched the whole vid.... Loved it... lots of work... it would help people to understand, what it takes to own a running Delorean...

Owning a running delorean is different than having one resurrected from the dead. If you want to see a really cool video that includes the costs associated with rebuilding one from pieces watch this DIY resurrection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=-V9b0MrvS_8 It's a good reality check.

OverlandMan
01-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Owning a running delorean is different than having one resurrected from the dead. If you want to see a really cool video that includes the costs associated with rebuilding one from pieces watch this DIY resurrection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=-V9b0MrvS_8 It's a good reality check.

I had never seen that video before. Thanks for sharing!