PDA

View Full Version : Temp sensor

Mydmc5898
02-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Ok got more than likely a stupid question.
I had the 3.0 conversion done to my car.
It's up and running and I have encountered a few problem areas.
The car runs and keeps pretty cool. But the gauge is saying its a out 100degrees hotter than what is actually the temp. Is the 3.0 sensor the same as the DeLorean?
The one on the back of the block is the one in question, not the water pump.
We haven't gotten to 220 yet. I replaced the otterstat awhile ago.
The fans come on when jumped, but I won't let it get that hot yet.
Is there a way got test the gauge to see if it is working right?

Thanks in advance,
Darryl

Exolis
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
I would just put it in hot water, see what the sensor reads on the gauge than measure the water with a digital meter and compare. If the terminals to the sensor or input are pretty dirty, that will affect the measurements of the sensor.

Mydmc5898
02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
It's reading, just not matching what's on the gauge.
We had a two gauges run independent from the DeLorean.
Both read 160 and the gauge on the DeLorean was reading 240.
So it's running right and the fans kick on around 200 or so.
But the gauge reads 220 once the car hits around 130.

Is the 3.0 water sensor on the head (same location as the Delorean) calibrated close to
What the stock sensor should read?
The connection on the stock 2.8 has that threaded neck and the wire slips on staying with a bolt.
The 3.0 just clips on like a newer contact.

So I guess just to rule this out, can the 2.8
And 3.0 sensors be interchanged?

Thanks again,
Darryl

Bitsyncmaster
02-07-2013, 05:44 PM
There are probably many sensor types (resistance / temp) that would only work with the gauge made for that unit. I would just get the OEM sensor installed with an adaptor or re-tap for it.

DMCMW Dave
02-07-2013, 05:52 PM
There are probably many sensor types (resistance / temp) that would only work with the gauge made for that unit. I would just get the OEM sensor installed with an adaptor or re-tap for it.

Really? I figured you'd come up with a microprocessor-driven calibration module. . . . :approve:

Bitsyncmaster
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Really? I figured you'd come up with a microprocessor-driven calibration module. . . . :approve:

Even I would take the easy way out if this were my engine.

DMC5180
02-10-2013, 07:00 PM

:hysterical:

Mydmc5898
02-20-2013, 09:57 PM
The only issue I have with using the stock part is that I have the car at work and those policy is only parts they instal are the ones they buy. Since no DeLorean vendor has any accounts with Firestone, I'm forced to try to find cross over parts.

I'm having the same issue with rear shocks. I'll have to see what I can do.
Thanks guys for the help/tips!

-Darryl