PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body How do you secure the door seal a bit better...?

kajcienski
02-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi all! I tried looking this up but didn't see another thread on this. The door seal on the bottom of my door jam has always been a big nuisance. I have learned to avoid kicking it with my foot when getting in and out of the car (causing it to work its way off sightly), but inevitably I lose the battle. What do you guys recommend as far as attaching it more securely? I know there are clamps holding the seal on, and the PO even put this terrible white sticky gunk that tends to seep out now and again. Is it okay to glue it? Any suggestions would be great!

jawn101
02-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi all! I tried looking this up but didn't see another thread on this. The door seal on the bottom of my door jam has always been a big nuisance. I have learned to avoid kicking it with my foot when getting in and out of the car (causing it to work its way off sightly), but inevitably I lose the battle. What do you guys recommend as far as attaching it more securely? I know there are clamps holding the seal on, and the PO even put this terrible white sticky gunk that tends to seep out now and again. Is it okay to glue it? Any suggestions would be great!

I wouldn't glue it, but are you using the original DMC style seal with the metal clips? I'd ditch that junk and go with the newer style that the vendors have (I think Josh and Hervey both sell them) with the integral metal spine. It holds on SUPER tight.

kajcienski
02-08-2013, 01:23 AM
I have one that is OEM style, and the other from Grady (softer texture). I didn't realize there was another option! I'll have to give that a go. The one from Grady holds better, but still finding I have to push it back now and again.

Blackie
02-08-2013, 03:00 AM
Try DPI seals, best thing I ever did. They hold on strong and don't interfere with the doors when you close them. I went through two sets of seals in a year due to tearing before I went with these.

john 05141
02-08-2013, 03:45 AM
I have the one from DMC EU and it fits great. Only th upper left corner, near the top of the windshield, tends to come loose. It also holds the roof fabric. Looks ugly when it shifts up, I have to press it down every time again. I also do not want to glue that, not even on that spot.

Jan

David T
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Don't glue the seals on. They all have metal staples in them that will grip the edge. You may have to remove the seal and squeeze it so the staples will grip the edge. If it won't grip then maybe you need to replace the seal. The metal clips under the seal are to hold the plastic interior cover in till the glue dries, not to hold the weatherstripping. You may have to use a plastic or wooden mallet to beat the door seals on all the way till they are seated and gripping the lip.
David Teitelbaum

Jonathan
02-08-2013, 12:20 PM
You may have to use a plastic or wooden mallet to beat the door seals on all the way till they are seated and gripping the lip.
David Teitelbaum

This sounds like a good idea. Mine at times don't seem to clip down all the way. I had seen people mention taking a Dremel tool to make that lip/edge a little narrower, but wasn't thrilled with trying that idea (and I haven't to this point). Do some cars really need a bit of the fiberglas ground away to make the lip the proper thickness to get the door seal over and clipped all the way down?

David T
02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
You should not have to grind the fiberglass. Maybe you don't have the right seals? Did you get them from a Delorean vender or did you get them locally? If they were already on the car maybe the DPO got the wrong ones.
David Teitelbaum

Jonathan
02-09-2013, 01:49 PM
You should not have to grind the fiberglass. Maybe you don't have the right seals? Did you get them from a Delorean vender or did you get them locally? If they were already on the car maybe the DPO got the wrong ones.
David Teitelbaum

I can't say for certain what my original/PO supplied ones were, but I did buy new ones from a vendor since I've owned the car. My guess is more operator error in the installation than the parts being the wrong ones. I don't doubt I erred on the side of being cautious instead of getting out the mallet to bang them all the way in. I'll give that a shot when I get the car back together in the Spring.