PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Rear Speaker Panels

protodelorean
02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Some DeLorean owners prefer to keep everything original. Others go to the opposite extreme and customize everything they can. However, most DeLorean owners choose to keep their cars essentially original and update a few of the creature comfort items like the sound system. Let’s face it, our DeLorean’s original sound system left EVERYTHING to be desired. The head-units are outdated in every way, the front speakers are way too small and the rear speakers are an odd size, mounted facing each other, held in place with a clamp around their magnets and for replacement require removal of the fragile (and potentially unavailable) rear inner trim panels. Most owners have managed to upgrade their head-units, but are left with the factory speaker sizes and mounting locations leaving their new, high-tech head-units unable to produce the sound they are capable of.

Now there’s another option! I’m proud to announce the release of completely new rear panels for the DeLorean interior designed to make mounting a pair of 6 x 9 speakers a breeze. The panels consist of a molded fiberglass shell, sculpted to raise the speakers and provide the necessary mounting depth. The shell is bonded to a solid MDF backer board/riser rings and the entire assembly is wrapped in a beautiful light or dark grey carpet to match the original Delorean’s carpet colors. Once installed, the assembly blends perfectly with the DeLorean’s interior giving you a factory-look with the sound you desire. Installation is simple, using all original fastening and requiring no modifications to the vehicle. They also come with illustrated installation instructions.

Panels are just $300 each (plus shipping) and are built to order so allow 2-3 weeks for fabrication.

Available in Light and Dark Grey to match original interior colors:

Installed Speaker Panel:

kobachi
02-26-2013, 12:10 AM
This looks great. Is the panel assembly removable on an ad-hoc basis, or is it designed for permanent installation?

And would it be possible to post a before/after pic if it's removable? I'd like to see what the difference in the capacity of the cargo shelf is with the panel installed.

Morpheus
02-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Does this panel interfere with the removal of those fuse/relay/ECU access covers on the shelf?

protodelorean
02-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Does this panel interfere with the removal of those fuse/relay/ECU access covers on the shelf?

Good catch! And yes, it would. But the speaker panel comes with a set of redesigned access covers that do clear. (That way you don't have to cut your originals and if you ever wanted to go back to stock, you can.)

This shot shows the new access covers that come with the Speaker Panel:

protodelorean
02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
This looks great. Is the panel assembly removable on an ad-hoc basis, or is it designed for permanent installation?

And would it be possible to post a before/after pic if it's removable? I'd like to see what the difference in the capacity of the cargo shelf is with the panel installed.

It is removable, by removing the cargo net hooks/screws (same as the original rear panel)

Stock Rear Panel:

Stock Panel Removed:

New Rear Speaker Panel Installed:

1batt4u
02-26-2013, 09:08 PM
That look real nice!!

Hopefully when my car is done, soon, I prob. get one of these!

kobachi
02-26-2013, 09:20 PM
It is removable, by removing the cargo net hooks/screws (same as the original rear panel)
Looks like the usable cargo space is almost exactly the same, is that right?

protodelorean
02-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Looks like the usable cargo space is almost exactly the same, is that right?

Yep. No significant difference. I'd have to measure a panel, but it's probably like an inch in the middle and two where the speakers are raised.

kobachi
02-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Yep. No significant difference. I'd have to measure a panel, but it's probably like an inch in the middle and two where the speakers are raised.

Awesome. Pardon what may be a silly question, but do the panels come with speakers? :hihi:

Shep
02-26-2013, 11:02 PM
PM sent :thumbup:

protodelorean
02-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Awesome. Pardon what may be a silly question, but do the panels come with speakers? :hihi:

Correct. Speakers NOT included. I should have stated that just to eliminate any confusion.

Nicholas R
02-26-2013, 11:32 PM
This looks awesome!!! How much do the holes for the speakers have to be raised/ protrude for the speakers to fit. I suppose the rear bulkhead is right up against the firewall so it would have to be a few inches right? I'm just curious because I think some speakers are deeper than others. Course knowing your style I'm sure the panel can accommodate the biggest, baddest speakers around, haha :biggrin:

kobachi
02-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Installed Speaker Panel:

I see you're using Infinity speakers -- what model are you using?

Also curious if you did anything to seal these in.

Ron
02-27-2013, 12:46 AM
Please post questions about speaker choices and other questions/discussion not related to the item in a new or related thread (E.G. The General (http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?2-General-DeLorean-Discussion) or Choice of Speakers (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?572-Choices-of-speakers) sections).

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Thanks!

kobachi
03-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Correct. Speakers NOT included. I should have stated that just to eliminate any confusion.

PM sent, ready to order!

Shep
03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
So, are you still selling these? I haven't gotten a response to my PM :confused0:

protodelorean
03-27-2013, 04:07 PM
So, are you still selling these? I haven't gotten a response to my PM :confused0:

Hey Shep. Sorry about the delay. Still making them and have folks on the list int he the order they've inquired. Family, work, and weather has held me up a bit. My policy though is that I will never ask for any payment until your part is complete, boxed and ready to ship! : )

Shep
03-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey Shep. Sorry about the delay. Still making them and have folks on the list int he the order they've inquired. Family, work, and weather has held me up a bit. My policy though is that I will never ask for any payment until your part is complete, boxed and ready to ship! : )Good to know! I'll be waiting patiently :)

papanoel
06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Are u still selling these?

sadeeky
06-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Hey Shep. Sorry about the delay. Still making them and have folks on the list int he the order they've inquired. Family, work, and weather has held me up a bit. My policy though is that I will never ask for any payment until your part is complete, boxed and ready to ship! : )

Let me know as well buddy I am looking to get one myself I have Black interior. PM me

papanoel
07-11-2013, 05:35 PM
any update on this?

Sparks35
07-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Are you still making the rear speaker panels?

GS450-Junkie
05-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Are these still for sale?

darylfelsberg
05-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Yeah I'm in for one for thevdark gray interior.

papanoel
05-02-2014, 12:19 AM
I tried reaching protodelorean a few times just under a year ago about this. never heard back. :(

protodelorean
10-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Hey everybody. I know its been a while. (life/family/work stuff) Anyhoo, I've currently got two speaker panels, one light gray and one dark gray, boxed up and ready to go. Not sure when the next batch will be. They're $300 plus shipping and I accept payment via Paypal. If you're interested, please reply below and indicate which one you're interested in.

Thanks, Steve

Notifier
10-25-2014, 07:14 PM
PM sent

darylfelsberg
10-26-2014, 02:28 AM
I'll take the dark grey one. I'll send a pm.

protodelorean
10-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Sale pending on dark gray panel with one more interested.

Light gray unit still up for grabs.

Thanks guys!

Steve

protodelorean
10-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Light gray Speaker Panel still available

Jedidentist
12-01-2014, 09:43 PM
PM and email sent on light gray panel.

protodelorean
12-07-2014, 10:32 PM
PM and email sent on light gray panel.

Hey Derek, responded to your pm (didn't see an email). My email is protodelorean (at) yahoo.com

Steve

gluaisrothaii
10-23-2019, 12:53 AM
Maybe a long dead thread but....are these speaker mounts still available?

Thanks,
Ken