PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Delorean at the carwash safe?

john 05141
03-13-2013, 07:04 AM
This weekend I need to drive to get the car inspected. I have to go now or I get a red card meaning the car is on the road illegally and I will not be insured.

No problem there except the winter has made its return and very likely salt will be put on the roads. Never had this problem before so late in the year.
My frame is in good condition, and I was thinking to get the bottom rinsed at the carwash after. But I was advised against that becasue the high pressure could casue electrical problems up front near the radiator and in the engine bay.

Anyone has experience in that?
I know the louvers are a potential risk, but my might get this guy to turn everything of, and only rinse the bottom;
Hand rising it with a high presure water hose will never be as effective I think.

Jan

Michael
03-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Well I think you will be ok..and that goes either way, whether you decide to drive on a salt treated road and not wash, or go through the car wash. Just be sure the door seals are up to snuff. I would be more worried about them than I would the under carriage blasters.
These cars are not the delicate flowers everyone makes them out to be, (this coming from the guy who waxed his frame every 6 months). I do that because I'm anal, not that I'm worried the car will fall apart. I think all that's needed for anyone who drives in the rain/snow is a yearly frame inspection and mild cleaning.

If you are worried about blasting the engine area, just stop short of the blasters until the timer stops. On most washes the under carriage wash is timed to like 15-20 seconds.

eagle-co94
03-13-2013, 09:22 AM
I say go ahead. If you end up finding an electrical problem then take that as a gift. That way you know what needs attention on your car before it develops problems over the summer when you are at a show or on a trip. I plan on using a pressure washer on my D.

john 05141
03-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I talked to Welmoed about this. He said the openings at the spark plugs could be the highest potential electrical risk. But he also says the nozzles are fixed, and using a high pressure rinse and sinse the undercarriage myseld would be more effective.

I do agree we should stop thinking it is so delicate. I'm one of them, affraid I woud hurt the car. "just drive that sucker" but maintain it.
Only snow will stop me now, if we have snow or rain-snow I will arrange a trailer transport.

Jan

David T
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
The spark plug wells can be a problem if water is directed at the top of the motor and the other sensitive area is the ballast resistor, the contacts can rust and eventually cause a bad connection. An undercarriage wash should not be a problem as long as the seals on the front suspension parts and the C/V joints are in good shape. You may want to lubricate the undercarriage after it is dried.
David Teitelbaum

DeLorean03
03-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Just don't blast the engine full dead-on with the high-pressure nozzle and you'll be fine.

Been doing that with my car on and off for 10 years. EVERY now and then a tiny bit of water gets in a spark plug well, but I also HAVE blasted my engine dead-on when that has happened.

jawn101
03-13-2013, 05:28 PM
My big concern with automated carwashes are those big cloth strips they use to get the top surfaces - I'm worried they'll wrap around the louver slats and rip the thing off. I had one get wrapped around a spoiler on a car long ago.

Sammy
03-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Is there a self serve car wash near you? I wash all of my cars at self service car washes with just a brush and pressure washer.

Domi
03-13-2013, 06:21 PM
A French member washed his car like this, I don't know if you intend to do the same?
http://erip.free.fr/delorean%20europe%20classic/videos/mov01161.mpg
Anyway, he doesn't had any trouble after.
I do wash the car myself because I don't trust that kind of machine :umm:

Chris4099
03-13-2013, 06:37 PM
I myself have used a touchless car wash. All high pressure sprayers with no actual cloth or brushes touching the car. No problems at all. I do get a bit of water in the trunk but that's because I need to replace those seals and adjust the trunk to be a bit tighter. I've known a few other D owners too that have had no issues with them. I still prefer to hand wash whenever possible.

Fortunately these cars were meant to be normal daily drivers for most owners, so they should be good for things like car washes. :)

pezzonovante88
03-13-2013, 08:08 PM
I would be nervous about the louvres and the doors leaking. If it were me, I would just put the car up on ramps when I got home and spray the underneath with some degreaser and a hose.

john 05141
03-14-2013, 04:35 AM
If there was a ramp, that would be convinient. I will have to drive for 2 hours and before I turn the car in I want to rinse the salt off. There is a place where I can do that but all regular concrete floors.
I guess it does not make much sense to repeat this 3 weeks later?
Jan

jawn101
03-14-2013, 05:38 PM
If there was a ramp, that would be convinient. I will have to drive for 2 hours and before I turn the car in I want to rinse the salt off. There is a place where I can do that but all regular concrete floors.
I guess it does not make much sense to repeat this 3 weeks later?
Jan

I think he meant drive the car up on ramps at your residence and hose it off by hand there. :)

pezzonovante88
03-14-2013, 06:05 PM
I think he meant drive the car up on ramps at your residence and hose it off by hand there. :)

Exactly. You don't even need ramps, they'd just make it easier.

whocruiser
03-16-2013, 01:35 AM
My big concern with automated carwashes are those big cloth strips they use to get the top surfaces - I'm worried they'll wrap around the louver slats and rip the thing off. I had one get wrapped around a spoiler on a car long ago.

Those rotating strips never caught on my louvers, but they did rip both rear view mirrors right off the car :-( One very emphatic vote for going "touchless" from me...

Alexander_wolfgang
07-31-2015, 08:29 PM
I took my D thru a spray wash place... I needed a quick wash before heading to a gig. I asked one of the guys in my Delorean club if that is ok to do and he said it should be fine.

WELL, it wasn't. there seems to be a problem now. When going up hills or even being in 5th gear, the car seems to shutter and shake. It just doesn't have the same power as before.

What do i need to look for here? I need to take care of this asap!

jawn101
07-31-2015, 08:54 PM
I took my D thru a spray wash place... I needed a quick wash before heading to a gig. I asked one of the guys in my Delorean club if that is ok to do and he said it should be fine.

WELL, it wasn't. there seems to be a problem now. When going up hills or even being in 5th gear, the car seems to shutter and shake. It just doesn't have the same power as before.

What do i need to look for here? I need to take care of this asap!

Probably a wet spark plug. Pull the plug wires, one at a time and verify the plugs are dry. Commonly the two at the back of the motor (nearest the bulkhead) will flood.

DMC5180
08-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Probably a wet spark plug. Pull the plug wires, one at a time and verify the plugs are dry. Commonly the two at the back of the motor (nearest the bulkhead) will flood.

+1

It is also sign that you may need a new plug wire set.

Either Way if you can park it in the sun with the engine cover open it should dry out fairly quickly should you experience it again. Usually just driving with the hot engine will dry things out reasonably quick.

Alexander_wolfgang
08-18-2015, 04:19 PM

Took it to my buddy, who also owns a Delorean. We took a look at the spark plugs and sure enough there was a bunch of water in there. Once we got it all cleared out the car ran perfectly! I missed that feeling!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/atietz85/IMG_2989_zpshasvsj7p.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/atietz85/media/IMG_2989_zpshasvsj7p.jpg.html)