PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed Odd trans problems

cdmc12
03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Ok, so I've got a couple problems that I occasionally encounter. I think they're caused by two separate issues, but I'm not totally sure about that.

First, I've got this weird transmission locking problem. If I'm not really careful when shifting into reverse, I think both reverse and second engage, and locks the transmission. I can usually get everything loose by rocking the car back and forth, but I'd really rather that not happen. I think it might be a linkage problem, but that is only a guess.

Secondly, 5th sometimes pops out when under load. This usually happens when going uphill and throttle is applied. I can usually watch the gear lever walking back and forth depending on the throttle settings. I really think this is from tired engine and trans mounts, but again, I'm not totally sure.

Thanks in advance for the help!

David T
03-20-2013, 02:26 PM
These two problems could be related. My guess is the nut on the end of the shaft has loosened up and the shaft is moving. The good news is, if this is the problem, it can be fixed with the transmission in the car. You remove the oil and take the end cover off. Tighten the nut and stake it in place. Put it back together, add oil and check all of the external shift adjustments. If this doesn't fix it you may have to pull the transmission to see what is going on inside.
David Teitelbaum

cdmc12
03-20-2013, 05:46 PM
If it is that shaft nut, that would certainly be convenient since tightening it is on my to-do list anyway.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks!