PDA

View Full Version : Guns, Ammo, Shooting Hobbies!

Ryan King
04-10-2013, 11:05 PM
I thought I would start a thread about your shooting hobbies, or to show what kinds of guns you have, and talk about anything associated with such topics. (Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Target Shooting, etc!)

A little about my arsenal. I have a Remington 16 Gauge Shotgun, A .22 Winchester Rifle, A Russian Model Mosin Nagant (7.62x54) and a .25 Beretta 21a Pocket Pistol.

I used to actively shoot Skeet and Trap, but haven't in some time. I really enjoy target shooting, but since I work so much, its hard to find time to go to the range anymore. I am planning on applying locally for my conceal and carry license very soon, but I'm having a hard time tracking down any Ammunition. The City of Clovis requires applicants to have a Pistol Training course of at least 6 hours followed by firing at least 100 rounds, but finding ammo is a huge pain in the rear right now. I have an instructor lined up and everything, just need to find the ammo. Luckily I stocked up on Shotgun shells and some .22 ammo awhile back. :D

Anywho, feel free to share what you have!

-Ryan

thirdmanj
04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
:popcorn: ...let the mayhem begin.

Michael
04-11-2013, 12:03 AM
If there is a gun show within driving distance this weekend, hit it up. I went to one about a month ago and I found all the ammo I wanted, any caliber and quantity I wanted, and reasonably priced. If they let you, I would test with a .22 target pistol. Much more easier to shoot not to mention a little cheaper. I started a thread almost like yours last year: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5274-Anyone-carry you might want to check out.

I have a few hand guns, my daily carry weapon is a Ruger LC-9, but I sometimes carry my SD 40, even the Chiappa when I have a sport coat on top(which is rare). I also have some competition air guns, those are some mean looking pellet guns, and will shoot a .177 cal pellet at around 1400 FPS.
Here is my little collection of pistols:

Since you are getting a permit, you will probably want to buy a carry weapon in the near future, lots of opinions and choices out there(not a lot for sale these days though unless you want to over pay). I was at my local gun shop lasat month and where they usually have 40-60 handguns for sale, they had 7...SEVEN. The only reason it was 7 and not 4 was they just(like 20 minutes before I got there) got in 3 Ruger SR45's. It was odd seeing one gun per showcase, and their ammo shelves were all but bare.

Gunbroker.com and your local armslist are a good way to shop, you might pay up a little if you are not informed.

john 05141
04-11-2013, 03:42 AM
I'm beginning to doubt if it is a good idea to take my family to Disney in the US this summer....
You guys scare me!

Jan

Ron
04-11-2013, 04:26 AM
I'm beginning to doubt if it is a good idea to take my family to Disney in the US this summer....
You guys scare me!

JanFYI- Even the cops are not allowed to carry at Disney (strict firearm free policy).
(Besides, the guys above have permits...maybe worry about the ones who don't care about carry laws....)

Let's keep the thread on topic - Zero Tolerance!

OverlandMan
04-11-2013, 08:56 AM
I have somewhere between 25-30 firearms in my collection at last check. Everything ranging from handguns to shotguns to deer rifles to military-type stuff (mostly C&R). I keep all my stuff locked in a 48-gun safe that I can walk into and stand up (provided the shelves were removed). It's bolted to the concrete slab and only I have the combination. It's fireproof for up to 1 hour at 1200 degree F if I recall. Point being, I feel that it is my duty to keep my collection secure at all times. The only firearm that's not in that safe if my concealed carry weapon that is usually about my person or in my vehicle secured in a locked device.

I don't feel comfortable showing pictures of my collection for various reasons. But I'd be happy to discuss a particular firearm, given I can contribute something to the conversation.

As for the current ammo shortage, I don't buy ammo all that often mostly due to the fact that I have a metallic reloading setup in my garage. I reload for all my rifles and handguns. The only thing I don't reload for is my shotguns. In the past I've been able to order the reloading components I need w/o issue for the most part.

I'm a hunter. I lease approx. 2000 acres out in West Texas. I primarily hunt deer but I've taken other animals as well on occasion. Everything I shoot gets harvested for consumption. I don't shoot varmints. They don't taste very good and it's not my thing to kill something and leave it. But I don't pass judgement on those who varmint hunt.

All that said, I'd be happy to consult w/ any fellow DeLorean owner regarding firearms, ammo, or hunting. I've been collecting firearms and hunting for almost 20 years.

Mike C.
04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Anyone who has been to my place in FL has probably seen one of the following:

Daily carry: S&W Sigma .40 cal,
also a few S&W 9mm's
Mossberg 12 ga
Couple of .22 rifles

...then there are the fun ones. Like Overland, i'm not going to disclose exactly what's in that collection. Those are locked and secured off site. All the ones around here are locked up and out of the reach of children. Safety first!

I also have two compound bows, several knives, even some good ol' fashioned BB guns.

With the 'fun' rifles, I will use for scoping hog. It eliminates a nuisance species and the meat gets donated to feed the hungry. Alot of people really don't know how dangerous a feral hog is, and how destructive they are to native landscapes. Haven't been out in over a year though since I left FL.

Thinking of getting into clay pigeons for craps and giggles.

I started stocking ammo during the first small shortage a couple years ago. Now, i'm glad that i did.

OverlandMan
04-11-2013, 11:47 AM
With the 'fun' rifles, I will use for scoping hog. It eliminates a nuisance species and the meat gets donated to feed the hungry. Alot of people really don't know how dangerous a feral hog is, and how destructive they are to native landscapes.

Feral hogs seem to be increasing in numbers all over the place. They built a new toll road down near Austin where the speed limit is 85. There have been several reports of cars hitting pigs. I'm sure you can imagine a vehicle hitting a 300 pound pig at 90 MPH. Not cool.

We used to have a bunch out on our hunting lease but they've actually been thinned out recently by a company that the cattle ranchers contracted to kill them via helicopter.

Prior to that, we would occasionally shoot one and take the meat to the processor. It's made some tasty sausage in the past.

Stainless
04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
I can only afford so many hobbies, so I have limited myself to only two guns:

Browning 12 gauge shotgun
.40 Glock 27

I have a concealed carry permit, but rarely carry due to the hefty size of my handgun. I like shooting it too much to get something smaller, but don't want to spend money on getting another one to be able to conceal easier. I'd rather spend money on the D :)

eagle-co94
04-11-2013, 11:03 PM
I also don't feel it's a good idea to post what I may or may not have, and where I keep it, but as far as ammo goes I'm still waiting on backorder of .22LR. That caliber is a PITA to find. Gun shows down here are up to $10 for admission, $6 for parking so I'm about done with that route. Ammo prices at shows hasn't been very good at all. I've actually sold ammo at recent shows because of it.

Ryan King
04-11-2013, 11:06 PM
I also don't feel it's a good idea to post what I may or may not have, and where I keep it, but as far as ammo goes I'm still waiting on backorder of .22LR. That caliber is a PITA to find. Gun shows down here are up to $10 for admission, $6 for parking so I'm about done with that route. Ammo prices at shows hasn't been very good at all. I've actually sold ammo at recent shows because of it.

I just bought 3 boxes of 100 .22 Short on the Internet for 11.50 a box. So Thats not TOO bad. Thats about how much retail normally is.

Michael
04-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Gun shows down here are up to $10 for admission, $6 for parking so I'm about done with that route. Ammo prices at shows hasn't been very good at all. I've actually sold ammo at recent shows because of it.

I don't go to shows that charge admission. Some here do like RK, the shows I go to are free admission...I know they don't miss me but it's just too much for me to pay them, for the honor of buying something from them.. These promoters charge the retailers for the booth space, and I have to realize that no gun shop around here charges me to simply walk through the door...but people pay up without a thougt about it....oh well no complaints, just the free market doing it's job.

I guess it differs depending where you live, but like I said, my last show ammo was abundant and very reasonable. I bought about 100 bucks worth of ammo and a little side note: I brought my Chiappa Rhino with me since finding a shoulder holster to fit it was a pain. I didn't even get to the building before at least 10 random people walking up to me asking me what I wanted for it, (they didn't even know what was in the box). Once I was in the building the questions doubled in the first 5 minutes, so much that I asked a vendor for a bag to hide the box in. I think these are the people who couldn't pass the background check and will just buy whatever they can get their hands on.

eagle-co94
04-12-2013, 12:00 AM
I don't your location in your profile. Where are you located? As far as I know there are no free shows in FL.

The prices I've paid online are $20-$25 for 500 or 525rds. That's in the last 6 months...all backordered of course, but 11.5 cents a round for .22 is insane. I just looked it up on Sportsman's Guide and it's 7-8 cents a round, but nothing is available to be ordered from them currently.

THVGJP
04-17-2013, 10:49 AM
I dont really know how much the military pays for 0.223 rounds, but seeing how much I paid in taxes this year I figure I bought them 800,000 plus rounds or so. Just a positive take on paying taxes.
Glen

Jeff K
04-17-2013, 12:58 PM

I'm not into shooting anymore, really.... 22LR is hard to find? Me and me dad used to reload our own (45 ACP and 44 Mag). 22LR was plentiful!

My two favorites are a Desert Eagle in 44mag and a Colt 45 MK IV Series 80 ACP.

thirdmanj
04-17-2013, 03:16 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/18/3y3u6a9y.jpg

Doc Brown approves this thread.

OverlandMan
04-17-2013, 03:50 PM

I hear he can shoot the fleas off a dogs back at 500 yards with that thing.

thirdmanj
04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
I hear he can shoot the fleas off a dogs back at 500 yards with that thing.

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie!

Ryan
04-17-2013, 07:15 PM

That would be a cool replica to have...

eagle-co94
04-17-2013, 07:16 PM
...especially a firing one.

thirdmanj
04-17-2013, 07:38 PM
That would be a cool replica to have...

1866 Winchester

Jason
04-17-2013, 07:45 PM
...especially a firing one.

Speaking of movie gun replicas.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am76xV8Aubk

thirdmanj
04-18-2013, 06:31 AM
I just got a DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol. Finding ammo for it however, is proving to be more difficult.

DMCVegas
04-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Feral hogs seem to be increasing in numbers all over the place. They built a new toll road down near Austin where the speed limit is 85. There have been several reports of cars hitting pigs. I'm sure you can imagine a vehicle hitting a 300 pound pig at 90 MPH. Not cool.

Didn't hear anything about the pigs getting hit, but I'm not surprised. Seen plenty of deer heading out into the piney woods though. I'll never own another car without fog lights to see what's on the side of the road at night.

Been thinking about going hog hunting. Coworker of mine bought an AR-15 and wants to try it out too. I however don't yet have the equipment for that yet. Free bacon running around, what's not to like?!:hihi2:

I did see an article a couple years ago about the Madroño Ranch (http://madronoranch.com/?page_id=15) that offers classes on everything from hunting the hogs, to prep, and even cooking. Very surprised to about the high prices Europeans pay for back fat off these animals.

I had also read at the time that like Europe there was a suggestion that Texas could start issuing food inspector permits to Feral Pig hunters so that they could collect the meat to submit to food banks to help feed the poor and elderly. Don't know whatever became of that, but seemed like a great idea.

I'd love to go hog hunting, but for the sport and food. I understand the problems that these damn things are causing to agriculture, but from what I've seen on some of the videos online it pisses me off to see hunters torture the damn things. If you're gonna kill it, kill it. Bullet in the damn head, end the creature's suffering. Don't stand there kicking, stabbing, or allowing dogs to fight it for your pleasure.

eagle-co94
04-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Did someone say free bacon?:elmo1:

DMC1983
04-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Apart from the sub topic everyone is going at now, my collection only consists of one handgun. I got myself a Para Ordnance 1911 .45. Right now, Im looking into getting a good 9mm. Whether it be a Browning, a Beretta, Glock, Sig, maybe a S&W, I am having a hard time deciding what to get. I've always been into old school weapons like the M39/M59 platform S&W and the Browning HP is a great choice SA.

eagle-co94
04-20-2013, 10:11 AM
I love my Sig. FWIW the only reason why Beretta got the military contract is because they underbid Sig. Some units though preferred the Sig and contracted for those anyways. To me they feel like a more solid weapon.

DMC1983
04-20-2013, 10:25 AM
I love my Sig. FWIW the only reason why Beretta got the military contract is because they underbid Sig. Some units though preferred the Sig and contracted for those anyways. To me they feel like a more solid weapon.

I agree. The Beretta is unusually HUGE for the caliber in which it's chambered for. The 226 Sig is the same way. Realistically, the only thing out there that can really contend with power to weight ratio as a good service pistol is the Glock. That's taking all of the requisites into consideration. The only thing other than money that really strayed the military away from the Sig is the fact that it doesnt have a mechanical safety. Sure, a long/heavy trigger pull is a good safety, but not enough to realistically put it into the hands of inexperienced shooters.

eagle-co94
04-20-2013, 10:42 AM
You're right about the safety. Which is needed for your typical bonehead. Other military units though chose the Sig as many deem it a better weapon. I am definitely one of them. The size vs caliber does make it simple to fire for anyone though.

DMC1983
04-20-2013, 12:02 PM
You're right about the safety. Which is needed for your typical bonehead. Other military units though chose the Sig as many deem it a better weapon. I am definitely one of them. The size vs caliber does make it simple to fire for anyone though.

You were prior service, werent you? If so, what branch?

eagle-co94
04-20-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm still in the Army. Just trying to decide between a non military job & a Reserve retirement or going Active and retiring at 20.

DMC1983
04-20-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm still in the Army. Just trying to decide between a non military job & a Reserve retirement or going Active and retiring at 20.

Army, eh? Air Force over here. It can be tough finding a civilian job that crosses over from what you're doing now, not to mention a lot of private sector jobs simply dont pay as well as the government. If you like the lifestyle of the military and dont mind a more easy going (like) environment, become a full time reservist. Same benefits, same job.

Then again, go in the direction of your heart's content. my 2¢ **

And get a new gun (staying on topic) :headbang:

eagle-co94
04-20-2013, 04:12 PM
I know several people that are AGR and they really enjoy it. I'm looking, but slots are only open in limited places. I am looking into government jobs since they're just about the only thing with retirement and because they'll let me buy some of my Active time to apply towards retirement which would be a big plus.

Ryan King
04-27-2013, 02:05 AM
Went on a little ammo hunt today. I was able to find some boxes of 16 gauge ammo at my local Dick's. No luck on .22 or .25. I wandered over to Walmart and their shelves were completely dry. No surprises there.

DMC1983
05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Went on a little ammo hunt today. I was able to find some boxes of 16 gauge ammo at my local Dick's. No luck on .22 or .25. I wandered over to Walmart and their shelves were completely dry. No surprises there.

Yeah, I can attest to that. Just about every "defense" caliber out there (9mm, .40, .45, .357, etc...) has run completely out of stock. Everywhere I check I cannot locate ammo, for what it seems, to save my life (no pun intended). The only sources happen to be some 3rd party reloads and whatever people have lying around.

I feel that the Sandy Hook massacre REALLY took a hit on those who are hobbyists and I dont foresee a comeback anytime soon. No matter how hard the ammunition manufacturers work, we just wont see anything come of it. Unless you have access to a military exchange or have connections, you're S**t out of luck!

eagle-co94
05-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Military exchanges have mostly bare shelves as well and a 2 box limit. Needless to say I purchase 2 boxes of just about whatever I can every time I'm on base/post.