PDA

View Full Version : General Steering column, How do you tighten.. ummm this? (see pic)

Jeff K
04-11-2013, 10:58 PM
I took my canopy off the steering column to finally get rid of the metallic clanking sound when I hit a bump etc.

It seems the bracket that holds the control stalks is a bit loose. It looks to attach by the (looks like a rivit or allen) in the photo I took.

Is it possible to tighten this? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff

eagle-co94
04-11-2013, 11:04 PM
You don't, that's a rivet. I'd drill it out and install a new one.

dmc3130
04-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Did you check the bushing were the steering column goes thru the firewall? That's a common issue.

Rich
04-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Did you check the bushing were the steering column goes thru the firewall? That's a common issue.

++ on this diagnosis.

From the the footwell grab the steering column near the firewall and try to move it up and down. It should be tight. Also, check the diamond-mesh crush tube on the column to make sure the collar between it and the steering shaft did not loosen and slide forward.

DMCflux
04-12-2013, 12:21 AM
I had this problem the other day it was the steering column bushing. Mine didn't have one at all.

Jeff K
04-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

I had he steering bushing problem. The PO let it go so long that the hole thru the pedal box got reamed out. I bolted a fender washer and used a new bushing.. it's very tight.

I'm a bit OCD.. this is definitely a rattle with the front end (toward the driver .. whatever that's called) of the steering column. It might be the bracket that mounts it to the dash, I'm going to re-tighten that in the am. Otherwise I might drill and rivet the item in the original photo.

jawn101
04-12-2013, 12:45 PM
I totally have a similar clanking in my pedal box area over bumps. I thought it might be the shocks but those seem to be fine. I have the Delrin bushing from DPNW installed and believe me, that's tight and not going anywhere. I'll be very curious what you find, Jeff - this noise is driving me nuts as well!!

I will check the collar inside the diamond tube on mine today as well. That is something I hadn't thought of.

David T
04-12-2013, 09:30 PM
See if ST-14-9/81 SA-0004 was done on the car. Stiffener brackets for the steering column and dash. Check to see if the collapsible mesh outer steering column housing has any cracks in the mesh. Make sure the hardware that locks the adjustable column is all in place and correctly installed.
David Teitelbaum

jawn101
04-12-2013, 09:46 PM
See if ST-14-9/81 SA-0004 was done on the car. Stiffener brackets for the steering column and dash. Check to see if the collapsible mesh outer steering column housing has any cracks in the mesh. Make sure the hardware that locks the adjustable column is all in place and correctly installed.
David Teitelbaum

Not a bad idea David (link to bulletin: http://dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-14-9.81.html) but at least in my case there's no way the noise could be coming from the binnacle.