PDA

View Full Version : iPhone vs Android

jmettee
05-09-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm looking for input from users who have USED BOTH (not opinions from those that only have used 1).

I've always been anti-Apple based on their making things non-standard (their non-USB connectors for example). I've been only on Android phones, currently with the Samsung Galaxy S2. Other than the basic nuances between operating system, I think that the S2 is very equivalent to the iPhone 5.

Question goes out to the masses: For those that have used both, are they really close to the same or is 1 OS light-years better than the other? I honestly think being the average user, I would be equally happy on either....but what are your experiences?

Stainless
05-09-2013, 10:56 AM
I had always had an Android, but decided that I would get the iPhone 5 when it came out. I had the iPhone 5 for less than a month before I got rid of it and got a Galaxy SIII. I am very happy with the Samsung and will likely hold onto it for a long time. The iPhone OS does seem cleaner, but I do feel that it is much more limited with its features because of the whole iTunes requirement. I have also noticed that more and more of my office colleagues have also switched from iPhones to the Galaxy SIII, so it's not just me. I haven't taken a poll to find out their reasons, but they do appear to be appearing more and more.

When you set the two side by side, I am very impressed with the Galaxy and would recommend it to anyone. The iPhone is a very solid phone as well and has a great picture, even though the screen is not as large. I am probably biased because I started with an Android to begin with and I might be telling a different story if I had started with an iPhone. I also have a cousin that is absolutely in love with anything Apple and is always posting things on Facebook about how much better Apple is than Android. Maybe that's another reason I prefer Android... so I don't have to associate with iPhone users that think they are somehow better for having an Apple product. Rant over.

thirdmanj
05-09-2013, 11:10 AM
It really all comes down to personal preference doesn't it? Does the device function as intended and does it do what you need it to? It's all about user interface, and ones own level of comfort, regardless of the devices technical specifications. If its just about that, the information is out there. Do a side by side comparison.

Sent from my iPhone :p ...and my Android simultaneously!

jmettee
05-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I had always had an Android, but decided that I would get the iPhone 5 when it came out. I had the iPhone 5 for less than a month before I got rid of it and got a Galaxy SIII. I am very happy with the Samsung and will likely hold onto it for a long time. The iPhone OS does seem cleaner, but I do feel that it is much more limited with its features because of the whole iTunes requirement. I have also noticed that more and more of my office colleagues have also switched from iPhones to the Galaxy SIII, so it's not just me. I haven't taken a poll to find out their reasons, but they do appear to be appearing more and more.

Thanks....this is the exact type of response I was looking for....user who has tried both. The iOS being cleaner/smoother is something I always hear....but have never had one in my hand for more than 5 minutes at the store in "demo" mode.

Any input on call/signal quality, GPS, camera, or network comparison between the 2? If they were both on the same network, that would be a great comparison.

jmettee
05-09-2013, 11:42 AM
It really all comes down to personal preference doesn't it? Does the device function as intended and does it do what you need it to? It's all about user interface, and ones own level of comfort, regardless of the devices technical specifications. If its just about that, the information is out there. Do a side by side comparison.

Sent from my iPhone :p ...and my Android simultaneously!

Yes it does & I fully agree. But aside from locking into it for 2 years, I would have to look into a 30-day trial thing if I were to try it. I think most of the providers offer it, but not sure of all the details in trading back in. I do always hear that Android is not limited like the Apple products can be.

DMCMW Dave
05-09-2013, 11:52 AM
It really boils down to the toy/geek factor. I've used both and am currently on an iPhone 4S. I had an Android phone for years. The Android phone is certainly more "open" so if you look at it as a hobby and not a tool, and want to be able to install oddball apps and make it do crazy stuff, it's probably the way to go. The Apple phone is much harder to "hack" if that's what you are looking for.

OTOH if you want to figure it out in 5 minutes and have it "just work", the Apple interface seems much more well thought-out to me.

The most confusing thing to me is to try and switch back and forth. At least to my old brain there is a bit of lag time in re-learning whichever one you are not using at the moment.

Beware of advise from Fans (of either stripe), they will generally love one and hate the other and consider you an idiot for not seeing their point of view. Of course this applies to a lot more than cellphones. :cool1:

OverlandMan
05-09-2013, 12:03 PM
It really boils down to the toy/geek factor. I've used both and am currently on an iPhone 4S. I had an Android phone for years. The Android phone is certainly more "open" so if you look at it as a hobby and not a tool, and want to be able to install oddball apps and make it do crazy stuff, it's probably the way to go. The Apple phone is much harder to "hack" if that's what you are looking for.

OTOH if you want to figure it out in 5 minutes and have it "just work", the Apple interface seems much more well thought-out to me.

The most confusing thing to me is to try and switch back and forth. At least to my old brain there is a bit of lag time in re-learning whichever one you are not using at the moment.

Beware of advise from Fans (of either stripe), they will generally love one and hate the other and consider you an idiot for not seeing their point of view. Of course this applies to a lot more than cellphones. :cool1:

Well said. +1.

Stainless
05-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Well said, Dave. I find that it is harder to switch from an iPhone to an Android than it is the other way around. Apple is much easier to learn, in my experience. It took me a lot longer to get used to the Android, and there are still many features and things that I have not used yet. I like how the Samsung Galaxy SIII has Google integrated into almost everything. There are many articles out there comparing the two phones and the operating systems. The cameras are virtually identical, but the internals of the phones are very different. My ideal situation would be to have Apple's stability on a Samsung phone. Since that's not possible right now, it does come down to personal preference. You really can't go wrong with either one.

ccurzio
05-09-2013, 01:53 PM
I do feel that it is much more limited with its features because of the whole iTunes requirement.

iTunes hasn't been a requirement for some time now. Even if it were, I don't see how that is some kind of feature limitation.

I've used Android devices a good bit and I've owned four different iPhones. Android devices "work" but they're not as cleanly designed, the interfaces have some really wonky controls, the platform is tremendously fragmented, performance is lacking in many cases (because of the huge variations in hardware components from one device to the next as well as the software itself being quite jerky here and there), and there's very little consistency.

I can never recommend an Android device to anyone, unless they're a tinkerer that needs complete and open access to the low levels of the device straight out of the box. I will recommend an iPhone every time.

Dangermouse
05-09-2013, 02:06 PM
iTunes hasn't been a requirement for some time now. .

How do you get music on the iphone apart from iT ?

In 2012, my older teenagers both had ipads & ipod Touches (very similar OS to the iphone3 and 4) as well as old non-smart cellphones. We switched from TMobile to ATT and got my wife and daughter iphone4’s (I have one through work) and my son (the geek) an android (HTC Vivid). He had done extensive research amongst his peers and determined that android was the way to go for the larger screen devices, freely available apps, and higher res cameras. (A tinkerer as Chris says)

Phones arrived and within a day, my daughter wanted to switch the iphone4 out for the HTC, even though she was very familiar with the iOS, she liked the better camera and larger screen of the HTC. When we exchanged them, the ATT service rep said that my daughter was the only teenager who had ever sent back an iphone :)

I use the HTC on occasion, and found that it has a steeper learning curve than the iphone, but is technologically better I agree. The camera/video is definitely better (can’t comment on the iphone5).

However, when the time comes to upgrade, I will probably stick with the next iphone, as I am comfortable with the OS, it does what I need a smart phone to do (phone, email, tapatalk, web browsing – can’t comment on twitter, fb, tumblr etc). And I really like the physical design of it – just feels heavy and well made.

OverlandMan
05-09-2013, 02:14 PM
iTunes hasn't been a requirement for some time now.

Even if it were, I don't see how that is some kind of feature limitation.

I agree in that iTunes is no longer required in the way it was before; however, if you want to do anything significant w/ the device, you'll likely end up using it at some point. For instance, if I want to create my own custom ringtone for an iPhone, the only way I know to do this is via iTunes. Same traffic for ripping a DVD movie I own to an iPad or iPhone. I'm not an iTunes hater but the version 11 update is a pain to relearn. Additionally, there is no port available for Linux users.

IMO iCloud was a bust. Conceptually it sounded really cool before it was released, but after messing w/ it I quickly abandoned and went back to legacy type device backup, storage, etc. and just save all that data to my other cloud drive (like google drive or dropbox). I sync all my mail, contacts and calendar items to my Exchange server anyways.

I wear multiple technology hats in my organization, which consists of a dozen office locations across the U.S. One of those hats is Exchange administrator. We have roughly 500 users that are split roughly 50/50 (android - iPhone). Generally speaking, I've had less issues with the iPhones. Don't get me wrong, I love the Linux based Android OS... it just seems that for a mobile phone device, the iPhones have been less problematic.

Hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here... :smile:

ccurzio
05-09-2013, 02:23 PM
How do you get music on the iphone apart from iT ?

You don't. :) (Well there are ways, but they're hacky and you're better off just using iTunes.)

iTunes isn't required for the phone to function like it used to be, but you do still need it for certain things. iTunes for Windows used to be a huge steaming pile of shit, but it's actually gotten significantly better.

As for the "non-USB" cable argument, that's ridiculous. The iPod dock connector PREDATES Micro USB and has been universal for every post-1394 iDevice made by Apple. The new Lightning cable was created to shrink the size of the connector (so you can cram more stuff into the device), and it's superior to USB cables because not only does it have a built-in microcontroller that can reconfigure the contacts on the cable as necessary depending on what it's hooked up to, but it's also reversible so you don't have to worry about which way it goes into the port. That's the best part, as both sides of standard USB plugs can be a bitch to plug in, especially in the dark.

dmcerik
05-09-2013, 02:31 PM
I'm the IT Director for the company I work for. I'm also an iPhone5 user. From a business standpoint the iPhones have been much easier to configure with Microsoft Exchange and I rarely, if ever, receive a help request from those that have iPhones. Androids not so much. They require a lot more hand holding when it comes to configuring their phones, or even changing their passwords when needed. I dread when they need help because it seems like each Android phone has its own interface and does things just a bit differently. Then throw in the different flavors of the OS and it can make things pretty annoying.
With all that said the owners of their phones love their phones.

Timebender
05-09-2013, 02:38 PM
I design and develop for both platforms, and I use and iPhone all day.
Now, being that said, I see a LOT of things good and bad about both. Yes, the iPhone has a cleaner interface and just works. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not. It doesn't do Flash- big whoop. And I can design more and do more feature wise for the iPhone than Android. There are bajillions of apps for iOS (okay, not that many but there are tons). Android doesn't have as many, and a LOT cause the phone to die, crash, etc. since there really wasn't a team that approved apps or not, but Google is cracking down on that.

There are some Android phones that have some really cool tech like now being able to hover your finger just like you hover your mouse before clicking. The cameras may have higher resolution, but taking photos on the train going down the southern California coastline at 50mph, my iPhone 4s did a better job than my buddy's Galaxy 3.

iTunes is a love hate relationship. I can get songs if I need them, getting apps is a cinch, and the beauty of iCloud (yes, the BEAUTY) is if I buy or get an app on my phone, my kids can then download it for free to theirs. If I buy an app for my Mac, I can then download it to my other Macs without having to re-purchase it. If I take photos on my phone, in minutes they're in my photostream so my wife can see them on our iPad or Mac or AppleTV at home so I don't have to clog up email sending them or text them.

The hate part is the new interface... but I know Jony Ive is going to fix that.
And iOS is good, but getting long in the tooth. Again, Jony Ive and his team are fixing that for iOS7. I trust it's going to be a game changer.
iOS though has always been consistent, and works the same - even in the new iOS it'll be an easy transition.
Android is currently Jelly Bean, but there are still devices out there (even new ones off the shelf) still running older versions of Android all the way back to the B's (whatever dessert name that would be). Why? And then there are different versions of how Android is made for a device - Android on Samsung's looks completely different and works differently than on an HTC device, since it's open-source and the manufacturers only use it as a base to code on.

Android has widgets on the home screen (short cuts) which is nice, whereas currently in iOS you don't, unless you get an app to do it.

In the end, what matters most is what you are most comfortable with and can live with for two years. You can get an iPhone and try it out for 30 days - depending on who your carrier is. Verizon I think is now 15 days.

DMCVegas
05-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Never used an Android before. But I do know iPhones and Apple products being iOS certified (among others). I'm not going to try and go off on a "fan boy" rant, but rather just present raw facts because there are a few things to take into consideration:

First thing is that if you ever have a problem and need a replacement iPhone, you can immediately obtain one same-day from any Apple Store. You don't have to wait for a replacement device to come in the mail. You'll also have your device activated before you leave, and of course get it set up for you right away.

If you ever switch an iPhone for upgrades or damage, iCloud or iTunes can transfer the data back over like nothing happened.

iPhones are much, MUCH more secure than Androids on several levels:

The internal storage is divided into two separate paritions with the operation system on a read-only partition. This prevents infection from malware (if Apple ever even let it through).
In order to use Apps on an iPhone or other iOS device, they have to be approved by Apple. Even then they can still be revoked if it is discovered after the fact that they violate Apples rules for Malware, iOS & Consumer Security, Legality, etc.
iOS is noted for being the easiest and safest device to erase when you're ready to decommission the phone. Once you wipe an iPhone or other iOS device, that data is unrecoverable and gone forever.
If your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch is ever lost, you can track it with GPS to find it's exact location. You can lock it, display a message to contact you to get it back, or ultimately perform a complete remote wipe to ensure your data is destroyed.
Text messages and photographs sent through Apple's iMessage service to other iOS devices are encrypted. Not even law enforcement can obtain them.
While Apple does work with Law Enforcement agencies with investigations, Apple does NOT release data from iCloud without a court-issue subpoena unlike Google, Microsoft, and others.
iPhone data is secure, and highly recognized as such. Once you lock your device with a passcode, there is NO way that anyone can obtain the information. Forgot your passcode? Too bad. You've got to wipe the device and start fresh. Unlike Android phones wich are suseptible to "Cold Boot Attacks". In fact, here is the software and the instructions on how to perform this: FROST: Forensic Recovery Of Scrambled Telephones (https://www1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/frost)

When it comes to being "limited", "restricted", or anything of the sort about any Apple product, I still to this day don't understand what that means. If you want, you still can "Jailbreak" an iPhone. Other than a few graphic modifications (which are rumored to be apart of iOS 7), the only reason I've ever seen anyone Jailbreak an iPhone to to switch carriers. Something that you are still restricted to with an Android phone anyway. Although with AT&T, once you've fulfilled your 2-year contract they'll perform a "Factory Unlock" on your iPhone, and T-Mobile & Verizon iPhone 5's are already Factory Unlocked right out of the box (not always advertised, but absolutely true).

As it was also said, you don't need a Macintosh to use or backup an iPhone. Hell, you don't even need a computer at all! Apple products are not restrictive at all. This isn't Classic OS that were dealing with. Apple is actually quite modular, but that's for another post...

As I said before, again, you can swap your device directly at an Apple store within minutes and be on your way if you ever needed. You don't have to file a claim with Asurion and wait for a new phone to be shipped out to you. In fact if anything does do wrong, they'll just tell you to go to Apple anyway. And if you're not near an Apple store, AppleCare will ship a replacement phone out to you ASAP.

If something catastrophic ever happens to your phone, there are still options. $99 buys you AppleCare+ coverage that comes with:

2 year extended factory warranty.
24/7 Unlimited AppleCare tech support.
Two replacements for phsycal damage @ $49.

That last one is very important. Crack the display, drop it in water, run it over with a car, they'll swap your phone out for $49 (iPads too), and will do this twice. Even if you didn't elect for the coverage, or the device is out of warranty, the replacement swap cost is still only $149 - $229 depending on model. And that is a damn sight cheaper than what a new phone will cost you. Because if you have an Android, or any other type of phone that you either damage or suddenly dies on you without that coverage, your Wireless Carrier will tell you that you're out of luck and will need to buy a new phone. Whereas Apple will still swap the device for you at those much lower prices. Sometimes if it's just a speaker or battery that goes out, Apple can still just swap that single part out for a much, MUCH lower cost in less than 10 minutes and have you on your way.

In fact you can also buy and sign all of your Carrier contracts @ the Apple store as well since they are a cell phone store too.

Again is the tech support. You've got AppleCare, and the Apple store with free service. I don't know where the Android or BlackBerry stores are... And again along those lines, sure, there are some apps that you can get for Android that will back your phone up, but when you need technical support on those, where are you going to get it at?

Developers also tend to put more effort into iOS apps for iPhone and the like because believe it or not, Apple's hardware allows them to do so much more. Controlling lights, thermostats, TVs, OBD-II reader, you name it.

Again, I've tried not to promote Apple simply for the sake of doing so. You don't want "fan boy" advice. Just the same you also don't want advice from "Apple haters" who will try and steer you away from all things Apple simply because it's Apple. The kind of people that if the iPhone was released by Microsoft would be praising it instead.

For my own curiosity, as well as your sake, I would pose a challenge of sorts to see how Android can do any of the things that I've just mentioned. That way if you do go that route, you'll be able to see how or even if you can protect yourself the same way.

Soundkillr
05-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Android. I used an unlocked iPhone for years, went to an android and never looked back. I can't stand the way the apple software is set up. I like to be able to do one thing 5 different ways. I like the drag and drop features. I like being able to copy songs to my phone, then just drag to a computer. I Like being able to easily use the phone as storage. I also like the hd card, I can exchange to another machine if I like.
My android galaxy 2 is old now, and I would still take it over an iPhone 5. (Or whatever version is out now)

ccurzio
05-09-2013, 10:22 PM
I am a very big Apple fan, but there's a huge amount of information in your post, DMCVegas, that's totally false.

The internal storage is divided into two separate paritions with the operation system on a read-only partition. This prevents infection from malware (if Apple ever even let it through).
Untrue. If the partition was read-only, updates (including delta updates) would be impossible. Just because the partition is mounted RO at boot doesn't mean it can't be unmounted and remounted RW.

In order to use Apps on an iPhone or other iOS device, they have to be approved by Apple. Even then they can still be revoked if it is discovered after the fact that they violate Apples rules for Malware, iOS & Consumer Security, Legality, etc.
Untrue. There are ways around that, though they are a bit of a pain in the ass if your device is not provisioned for development.

iOS is noted for being the easiest and safest device to erase when you're ready to decommission the phone. Once you wipe an iPhone or other iOS device, that data is unrecoverable and gone forever.
This is true for any smartphone, and is not unique to iOS.

If your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch is ever lost, you can track it with GPS to find it's exact location. You can lock it, display a message to contact you to get it back, or ultimately perform a complete remote wipe to ensure your data is destroyed.
There are apps for other OSes that can do this. That said, Find My iPhone is fantastic and I've used it more than once.

Text messages and photographs sent through Apple's iMessage service to other iOS devices are encrypted. Not even law enforcement can obtain them.
As an information security professional, I have a several problems with this statement. "Encrypted" doesn't mean "immune to 3rd party retrieval", it just means they can't be retrieved through the intermediary sending services (e.g. Apple). Provided you haven't deleted the messages, law enforcement can confiscate your phone and insist you unlock the device to show them the messages. If you HAVE deleted the messages, the Spotlight cache still holds onto a lot of that info until it cycles out. Law enforcement can also obtain the messages in the same manner from the other party in the conversation.

While Apple does work with Law Enforcement agencies with investigations, Apple does NOT release data from iCloud without a court-issue subpoena unlike Google, Microsoft, and others.
I would really like to see some sources that show that Apple has behaved any differently than Microsoft or Google when challenged with releasing customer-owned cloud-hosted data. Sorry, but as much as I would like for that to be true (as I am not a fan of either Microsoft or Google), that's crap.

iPhone data is secure, and highly recognized as such. Once you lock your device with a passcode, there is NO way that anyone can obtain the information. Forgot your passcode? Too bad. You've got to wipe the device and start fresh.
Breaking into things is a hobby of mine (since it's also what I do for a living) and I cannot tell you HOW INCREDIBLY FALSE THIS IS. (Same goes for Android devices. There is ALWAYS a way in. NOTHING is impenetrable.)

Other than a few graphic modifications (which are rumored to be apart of iOS 7), the only reason I've ever seen anyone Jailbreak an iPhone to to switch carriers.
There are plenty of reasons to jailbreak an iPhone, none of which have anything to do with switching carriers. Changing the function of the in-built interfaces, installing 3rd party software NOT through the App store, adding functionality to certain areas of the phone (lock screen, springboard, status bar, etc.), there's so much you can do on a jailbreak.

Something that you are still restricted to with an Android phone anyway.
Android phones are no more or less carrier-locked than iPhones.

Although with AT&T, once you've fulfilled your 2-year contract they'll perform a "Factory Unlock" on your iPhone
All carriers do this. It's required by law.

T-Mobile & Verizon iPhone 5's are already Factory Unlocked right out of the box (not always advertised, but absolutely true).
I would LOVE to know where you heard this because I'm certain that's COMPLETELY false.

Apple products are not restrictive at all.
Um... Not true. You even said so yourself: "In order to use Apps on an iPhone or other iOS device, they have to be approved by Apple."

Developers also tend to put more effort into iOS apps for iPhone and the like because believe it or not, Apple's hardware allows them to do so much more. Controlling lights, thermostats, TVs, OBD-II reader, you name it.
Completely untrue. All of those things exist on platforms other than iDevices. I know because I've written some of them.

And now, the things that are true:

First thing is that if you ever have a problem and need a replacement iPhone, you can immediately obtain one same-day from any Apple Store. You don't have to wait for a replacement device to come in the mail. You'll also have your device activated before you leave, and of course get it set up for you right away.
Definitely. Apple's customer service is second to none.

If you ever switch an iPhone for upgrades or damage, iCloud or iTunes can transfer the data back over like nothing happened.
Very true. I've been using iPhones since the original and I've gone from the original to the 3GS to the 4 and to the 5, and iTunes has trucked my data right along through all the upgrades. (Hiccups now and again which got occasionally frustrating, but nothing show-stopping. And my data was always as I left it.)

As it was also said, you don't need a Macintosh to use or backup an iPhone. Hell, you don't even need a computer at all!
I don't think anyone ever claimed that a Mac was required to use an iPhone, but this is true. However you really do want to have a computer around to have a local backup via iTunes. iCloud isn't perfect and doesn't get everything.

Again is the tech support. You've got AppleCare, and the Apple store with free service. I don't know where the Android or BlackBerry stores are... And again along those lines, sure, there are some apps that you can get for Android that will back your phone up, but when you need technical support on those, where are you going to get it at?
Yup. The Android market is so shotgun it's not nearly as easy to get service. With Apple devices, they make the hardware AND the software, so it's one stop for both. On an Android device, if you have a problem with the OS you're shit out of luck trying to get extended support from the hardware manufacturer, let alone the cellular provider. With iDevices, you walk into an Apple store and get your problem worked.

DMCVegas
05-10-2013, 12:16 AM
I am a very big Apple fan, but there's a huge amount of information in your post, DMCVegas, that's totally false.

Untrue. If the partition was read-only, updates (including delta updates) would be impossible. Just because the partition is mounted RO at boot doesn't mean it can't be unmounted and remounted RW.

Here is a picture of the two partitions. According to Apple Engineers themselves iOS is stored RO and is loaded up into active memory when the device boots up. Updates are the only time that partition is written to. This came down directly from Cupertino.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q593/DMCVegas/IMG_0589_zps52998932.jpg

Untrue. There are ways around that, though they are a bit of a pain in the ass if your device is not provisioned for development.

Apple definitely checks all apps out, and has no problem yanking them at all. I will however refine my words here though. It is possible to insert apps through other means. Apple Configuration for Enterprise deployment is a great example. We were able to push iPhoto onto a 1st Gen iPad and overrode the limitations. Another example is Gridlee. It's a free app you can download and it allows you to play Gridlee which was an old arcade game that has since been authorized for public use by the copyright holders. But that's not why it's there. It's actually a MAME emulator. So if you connect to the iOS device with certain Apps where you can manually access data the data on an iPhone, you can drop MAME images into the folder and then have the extra selection screen to choose what to play. Since the app doesn't directly violate Apple's rules, it stays. Which if anyone is curious, the same type of software that you use to access the iOS contents will also allow you to inject and extract data manually. This includes text messages, MUSIC, as well as other data. So yes, many of the things that people complain they can't do on an iPhone, you actually CAN, and it DOESN'T have to be provisioned for development.

Where there is a will, there is a way, certainly. But here I am speaking to the average user. And that average user isn't just a soccer mom, grandpa, or a child. It's also many enterprise users that use iPhones in business. These people will download their apps from the App Store. And according to statistics, Apple has done a helluva better job than Android at protecting users.

1 in 10 Android Apps are Malware (http://www.neowin.net/news/trend-micro-claims-1-in-10-android-apps-are-malware)
Nearly 95% of Malware is running on Android OS (http://www.securitybistro.com/blog/?p=6826)

Of the remaining mobile devices that have contracted malware, some are iPhones, and are most likely jailbroken. There may not be any way to know for certain, but the numbers speak for themselves in terms of how much safe the iPhone is.

This is true for any smartphone, and is not unique to iOS.

Not quite...
iOS: Understanding 'Erase All Content and Settings' (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2110)

iOS devices do a pretty damn good job at ensuring the data is irrecoverable. It's been a double-edged sword for government entities where if a device is lost they can ensure the data is NOT recovered. But if they have to investigate their own employees for illegal activities... Well, it's not going to be easy. Getting back on track, I'll have to see if I have the article or can find it online. Not all smartphones securely wipe their data. Many simply delete the files and leave the actual data intact which can be recovered later.

There are apps for other OSes that can do this. That said, Find My iPhone is fantastic and I've used it more than once.

There may indeed be others. But again, it's not included and never implemented by the user. Unlike iOS where most salespeople and especially Apple employees will ensure that Find my iPhone/iPad/iPod is turned on before they leave along with iCloud and everything else. More than once that saved a bad situation and surprised someone that their data wasn't actually gone either.

As an information security professional, I have a several problems with this statement. "Encrypted" doesn't mean "immune to 3rd party retrieval", it just means they can't be retrieved through the intermediary sending services (e.g. Apple). Provided you haven't deleted the messages, law enforcement can confiscate your phone and insist you unlock the device to show them the messages. If you HAVE deleted the messages, the Spotlight cache still holds onto a lot of that info until it cycles out. Law enforcement can also obtain the messages in the same manner from the other party in the conversation.

Nope. And here are some examples:
Apple's iMessages is the DEA's worst nightmare (http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/07/technology/security/imessage-iphone-dea/index.html)

And while law enforcement can confiscate your equipment, they CANNOT force you to turn over passwords. That violates your Fifth Amendment right.
Fifth Amendment shields child porn suspect from decrypting hard drives (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/04/fifth-amendment-shields-child-porn-suspect-from-decrypting-hard-drives/)

Certainly the password aspect will be up for grabs, and will mostly likely end up in the Supreme Court one day. Now if you know of a way to decrypt an iPhone itself, I'd really love to know.

I would really like to see some sources that show that Apple has behaved any differently than Microsoft or Google when challenged with releasing customer-owned cloud-hosted data. Sorry, but as much as I would like for that to be true (as I am not a fan of either Microsoft or Google), that's crap.

Interestingly enough is that DEA story previously mentioned. AT&T like others have no problem sharing customer information with any and all law enforcement agencies without a subpoena. But Apple doesn't. It's not that iMessage and iCloud are not entirely inaccessible to Law Enforcement, it's just that Apple won't divulge that information without a warrant, and that's why they can't get the data. I did have a comparison chart on the cloud provider options with a direct reference to Apple showing that they do not turn over information without a warrant. Apple of course holds all decryption keys to iCloud data, so if need be such data can be transferred of course. And while the data is anecdotal, it is very interesting that the DEA would complain that they cannot obtain specific data unless it was outright declined by Apple to hand over those cyphers.

Breaking into things is a hobby of mine (since it's also what I do for a living) and I cannot tell you HOW INCREDIBLY FALSE THIS IS. (Same goes for Android devices. There is ALWAYS a way in. NOTHING is impenetrable.)

I will stand corrected on this one as when researching this I did discover a bypass for iOS 6.1.3 for photos only. Once that flaw however is cleared up with the next security release though, we'll see if it still stands.

Android phones are no more or less carrier-locked than iPhones.

All carriers do this. It's required by law.

I'll stand corrected on this one, because after previously speaking with an AT&T rep, I was told that Androids could not be unlocked. I just found the PR statement on AT&T's site that says all phones are included.

I would LOVE to know where you heard this because I'm certain that's COMPLETELY false.

Nope. The iPhone 5 from Verizon is unlocked to work with all carriers.
Verizon Wireless says iPhone 5 won't be 'relocked' (http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/verizon-wireless-says-iphone-5-wont-be-relocked-1B6078242)

When the iPhone 5 first hit, the Verizon phones were the ones that Apple could not keep in stock. There were no factory unlocked phones yet, and these phones were cheaper. However once everyone got wind of what was going on, soon after customers were told that they could only buy the iPhone 5 Verizon model if they were an existing Verizon customer.

The iPhone 5 is an unlocked phone that is simply altered for T-Mobil's network frequencies.
T-Mobile’s new iPhone 5 is an unlocked, tweaked AT&T phone (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/t-mobiles-new-iphone-5-is-an-unlocked-tweaked-att-phone/)

Um... Not true. You even said so yourself: "In order to use Apps on an iPhone or other iOS device, they have to be approved by Apple."

That was clarified above.

Completely untrue. All of those things exist on platforms other than iDevices. I know because I've written some of them.

You can do some of the things, but not all. A big sticking point is iOS' popularity/developer profitability for developers. And now it seems that there are quickly becoming hardware advantages as well.

http://UniKey doesn't support Android because of it's Bluetooth. (http://www.unikey.com)

jmettee
05-10-2013, 07:42 AM
To get back on topic (LOL....I thought this would happen)....

My Samsung Galaxy S2 is my first smartphone & I have to say I'm NOT highly impressed. While it does do some things great, there are issues that make me wonder if there's something better (hence my iPhone vs Android thread). I'm trying to figure out if it's the Sprint software overlay, Android, or my particular phone causing my doubts. :-/ I always just hear iPhone "just works" & "is smooth". I also hear it's "for your parents because it's THAT simple". It's definitely an opinionated topic & strong feelings are on both sides.

My S2 is great as a phone & a GPS. For data, it's awesome to have email & text messaging always available. However, the quirks are a bit frustrating....I have a phantom button press that happens in low signal areas when there is apparently EMI interference between the touchscreen processor & 3G antenna (best explanation I've seen). Wife has the same exact phone & we've seen it happen twice on hers, mine is ALL THE TIME in low signal areas. I sent it back to Samsung with a full explanation of the problem & they just reset the phone software (gee, thanks) witout addressing the hardware issue. The thing crashes & hangs somewhat often, but I realize that may be due to the various apps that are installed. Sometimes notification LEDs stop working.....it's weird to have inconsistencies in operation like this.

All I have to say is for Sprint's (& Samsung's) flagship phone at the time, the S2 has not lived up to what I expected. People love their iPhones & I NEVER hear about software issues with them. That's what's got me looking at the greener grass on the other side of the fence.

DMCVegas
05-10-2013, 12:03 PM
To get back on topic (LOL....I thought this would happen)....

My Samsung Galaxy S2 is my first smartphone & I have to say I'm NOT highly impressed. While it does do some things great, there are issues that make me wonder if there's something better (hence my iPhone vs Android thread).

Yeah, no matter which phone you go for, you're gonna have a much better experience with the new one. The biggest thing about phones is updating them. You don't really see it much any more, but iOS4 users are/were just as bad about updates as many Android users. In any case though, you have to ensure that you always update your OS, if your phone allows it.

Dangermouse
05-15-2013, 08:19 AM
defo get an iphone 5.

then you can get this when DMCH start making it:

http://www.highsnobiety.com/files/2013/05/a-delorean-inspired-iphone-5-case-01.jpg

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2013/05/14/a-delorean-inspired-iphone-5-case/

Domi
05-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Nice :)

TTait
05-21-2013, 01:23 AM
I've used both, and really prefer the Android. I get an Iphone when I travel - its utilitarian, predictable, vanilla, and about 60% of what I want my phone to be - but it works. With Android I can set the phone up the way I like it, and there is no substitute for good widgets.

What is interesting to me is that the debate is so two sided here on this forum. I'd expect everyone here to be a Android user. To me Iphone is to Android as Camry is to Delorean. (if the Delorean were fast and had the same build quality). If your not willing to roll up you sleeves a little and invest in something that will really make you happy, why not just drive the Camry and call it a day?

ccurzio
05-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Because phones are not cars.

thirdmanj
05-21-2013, 09:30 AM
I've used both, and really prefer the Android. I get an Iphone when I travel - its utilitarian, predictable, vanilla, and about 60% of what I want my phone to be - but it works. With Android I can set the phone up the way I like it, and there is no substitute for good widgets.

What is interesting to me is that the debate is so two sided here on this forum. I'd expect everyone here to be a Android user. To me Iphone is to Android as Camry is to Delorean. (if the Delorean were fast and had the same build quality). If your not willing to roll up you sleeves a little and invest in something that will really make you happy, why not just drive the Camry and call it a day?

The iPhone does exactly what I need it to do. It's fast, predictable, and has a good user interface. It requires little to no maintenance , and I got a good deal on it. Like I noted before, it's all about the comfort of the end user. If the Android suits your needs, use it. If the iPhone suits your needs use it. It's just that simple.

DMCVegas
05-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Because phones are not cars.

:werd:

After years of having to edit Registry entries, SQL Tables, ODBC Databases, and everything else under the sun, I'm tired. My father worked in a Bakery all his life. The last thing he wanted to do when he came home was mix more pie filling and run the oven in the kitchen. Apple products have been the sanity that I came home to because after fighting with garbage computers all day, I don't want to at home (though thankfully my new job is almost exclusively Apple). And when I do set up complicated networks and servers on it (from my wireless NAS Server for backups, to my Wireless VOD Server streaming all my DVD, Bluray, & VHS Movies to any TV in the house, and even my 1984 Macintosh Plus surfing the internet/operating as a web server), it's for fun and way easier. Yes I can configure my Router's TCP/UDP ports for VNC protocols so that I can remote into it from work. But self-configuration is just so much easier. That carries over to my iPhone as well. If I need to Telnet into a Cisco switch at work through my iPhone, I can. If I want to Telnet into my e-mail on my iPhone I can. But I just prefer to rubber-band the screen to check for messages. Hell, if I just want to sync my iPhone to any computer, let alone migrate contacts over, all I do is just connect it through USB. Android has the most complicated enable-USB-jump-through-hoops-on-3-to-4-different-menus-crap I've ever seen.

My point: Just because I love to work on my DeLorean and am willing to embrace the "file until it fits" ethic on it or any other exotic or classic that I own doesn't mean that I want that in ALL aspects of my life. That's like saying I'm surprised you would own anything but an orphaned car because you own a DeLorean.

If you were to compare iPhone vs. Android to the vehicular counter parts, it would be this:

iPhone = Ford Raptor.
It's powerful, can do lots of stuff, but is already pre-customized and decked out so there isn't much you can do for it to make it anymore unique than it already is.

Android = Honda Civic Hatchback.
Dependable, reliable, and customizable to the point of detriment where extensive modifications make it unusable. I.e. the ungodly amount of Malware they're susceptible to.

Some people like Androids, and that's fine. Perhaps for your needs or personal brand preferences you might choose one. Cool. But to anyone who is looking at an Android-based phone, I would SERIOUSLY suggest that you thoroughly research your purchase before setting foot in any store. There apparently are lots of Androids out there that are either running old OS versions or no longer receive OS updates. Make sure that if you're buying an Android that it has the latest software on it, or is at least compatible with the latest version so that you can update it.

Besides, from the underdog, everyone hating on you attitude, or making fun of you aspect, DeLoreans have a whole lot more in common with Apple than you think... :hihi2:

Dangermouse
05-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Dropped my iphone off a two story roof at the weekend, and then stood on it getting off the ladder. Apart from scratching the screen protector, it works fijsdysi.

:o

Seriously, I actually did, and it's great. The new Nokia.

Dangermouse
01-27-2014, 09:41 AM
However, when the time comes to upgrade, I will probably stick with the next iphone, as I am comfortable with the OS, it does what I need a smart phone to do (phone, email, tapatalk, web browsing – can’t comment on twitter, fb, tumblr etc). And I really like the physical design of it – just feels heavy and well made.

Re-reading this thread, I was so sure I would stay with Apple, but now I am revisiting it.

To recap, I have had my iphone4 for almost 3 years now. Been very happy with it. Sturdy, well built, easy to use. In decreasing order of time I spend on it, I use it for

Web-browsing
Email
Phone
Tapatalk
Music
Other apps.

Rarely as a camera as it takes “potato” quality pictures according to my kids. Quality seems to have gone downhill as the phone got older, though, which is odd. Lens is clean and scratch free. Always been worthless at night.

No hacking/cracking/programming

I carry it in my trouser pocket, or set it in my cupholder in the car when playing music. (this portability is very important)

Had been holding out for the iphone6 later this year, but over the past couple of days I think the battery is fried. Phone heats up and loses 100% charge in about 6 hours. And this was an overnight thing. Saturday was normal, the fully charged Sunday morning at 10, dead by 4. Thought it was wifi hunting or something, as it was toasty in my pocket so I turned off wifi and recharged, but no improvement. Of course battery is not easily replaceable.

Looking at an iphone5s, Galaxy S4 (presuming it to be better that the III), and galaxy Note. It’s a company phone, so cost is not so important. 5s is the easy choice as it is the same only slightly bigger/better. No problem carrying it o setting it in my car. But I am attracted to that big Samsung screen (note that I don’t have a tablet of any kind, but I am thinking of scratching that itch soon)

Anyone moved from the iOS platform to one of these and care to comment?

Justin, what did you go with?

OverlandMan
01-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Re-reading this thread, I was so sure I would stay with Apple, but now I am revisiting it.

To recap, I have had my iphone4 for almost 3 years now. Been very happy with it. Sturdy, well built, easy to use. In decreasing order of time I spend on it, I use it for

Web-browsing
Email
Phone
Tapatalk
Music
Other apps.

Rarely as a camera as it takes “potato” quality pictures according to my kids. Quality seems to have gone downhill as the phone got older, though, which is odd. Lens is clean and scratch free. Always been worthless at night.

I carry it in my trouser pocket, or set it in my cupholder in the car when playing music. (this portability is very important)

Had been holding out for the iphone6 later this year, but over the past couple of days I think the battery is fried. Phone heats up and loses 100% charge in about 6 hours. And this was an overnight thing. Saturday was normal, the fully charged Sunday morning at 10, dead by 4. Thought it was wifi hunting or something, as it was toasty in my pocket so I turned off wifi and recharged, but no improvement. Of course battery is not easily replaceable.

Looking at an iphone5s, Galaxy S4 (presuming it to be better that the III), and galaxy Note. It’s a company phone, so cost is not so important. 5s is the easy choice as it is the same only slightly bigger/better. No problem carrying it o setting it in my car. But I am attracted to that big Samsung screen (note that I don’t have a tablet of any kind, but I am thinking of scratching that itch soon)

3 yrs old is "old" for a smart phone. The iOS software updates as well as the apps really seem to bog down as the hardware gets older. I've noticed this trend since I had my first iPhone. I'm still carrying a 4S but I may only get another 6-12 months out of it if the trend continues.

I had a guy in my office last week who switched from iPhone to DROID and regrets the change. All my fellow IT nerds heckle me for carrying an iPhone but I always tell them I bought it to develop apps and the Apple market was and still is a bigger audience.

In the end, it's just a game. The mobile phone companies want you to keep upgrading your phone so you'll stay under contract with them. The smart phone hardware and software companies make this an easy task.

David T
01-27-2014, 10:12 AM
3 yrs old is "old" for a smart phone. The iOS software updates as well as the apps really seem to bog down as the hardware gets older. I've noticed this trend since I had my first iPhone. I'm still carrying a 4S but I may only get another 6-12 months out of it if the trend continues.

I had a guy in my office last week who switched from iPhone to DROID and regrets the change. All my fellow IT nerds heckle me for carrying an iPhone but I always tell them I bought it to develop apps and the Apple market was and still is a bigger audience.

In the end, it's just a game. The mobile phone companies want you to keep upgrading your phone so you'll stay under contract with them. The smart phone hardware and software companies make this an easy task.

I have a Samsung G3. If you don't fill it up with all kinds of apps it is as easy to use and as reliable as any phone. I like it because the screen is BIG and BRIGHT so you don't have to first go looking for your glasses before you get the phone. I can get the battery to last for 2 full days if I don;t use it all the time. It is large for a phone, most women do not like that. Especially when you put it in an Otter case. The biggest complaint I have with Apple is if the battery dies you cannot just open the phone and change it. They go out of their way to keep you from "getting under the hood" of their products. I understand the philosophy but I do not like it. From what I have noticed, many people have left Apple for the Samsung G3-G4, they do not have monopoly like they used to. At this point it seems like the Android side is at least equal to the Apple side. In some regards the Android side is maybe a little better. Both have good customer service, not the same, but equivalent. There is no clear-cut superiority of either one. It comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Old Apple phones have a higher resale value I think.

Michael
01-27-2014, 11:20 AM
I have a Samsung G3. If you don't fill it up with all kinds of apps it is as easy to use and as reliable as any phone. I like it because the screen is BIG and BRIGHT so you don't have to first go looking for your glasses before you get the phone. I can get the battery to last for 2 full days if I don;t use it all the time. It is large for a phone, most women do not like that. Especially when you put it in an Otter case. The biggest complaint I have with Apple is if the battery dies you cannot just open the phone and change it. They go out of their way to keep you from "getting under the hood" of their products. I understand the philosophy but I do not like it. From what I have noticed, many people have left Apple for the Samsung G3-G4, they do not have monopoly like they used to. At this point it seems like the Android side is at least equal to the Apple side. In some regards the Android side is maybe a little better. Both have good customer service, not the same, but equivalent. There is no clear-cut superiority of either one. It comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Old Apple phones have a higher resale value I think.

Battery replacement is easy. 2 small screws to get to it. Another small screw holds the contact in place.

I'm not an apple fan. My wife loves apple but I'm a android guy. Just got the Note and it's awesome. IPhone has a lot of ground to make up to catch up to the note....then again screen size matters to me where it may not be as important to a iPhone user. With the Note as popular as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if apple has a phablet in the works for this fall.

jmettee
01-27-2014, 11:51 AM

So, quick summar: I got an iPhone 4S from ebay & used it for 3 months before the end of my contract. Didn't really find anything about the iPhone that I didn't like. I actually like the smaller size of the 4S a lot compared to my previous phones (Galaxy S2 & HTC EVO 4G Touch). Functionally, I'd say the phones were 80-90% the same in basic functionality & feel. So I didn't really have a huge preference of 1 vs the other, but my existing use of Google services made me go with Android for my new phone since it just integrates better than on the iPhone.

iPhone was definitely a bit smoother & some of the apps just looked significantly better than the equivalent version on Android. Design & build of the case on the iPhone is a dream (I'm a mechanical engineer & the build quality of the iPhone is significantly better than anything else out there). However that nice case comes at a cost & that thin/non-existent frame around the screen makes the iPhone a high risk of screen damage in a drop.

So what did I go with? I switched from Sprint to AT&T & went with the Motorola Moto X. I LOVE this phone. It's only slightly bigger than the iPhone 5S & is close to raw Android as you can get other than a Nexus. There is very little bloatware & despite the spec sheets saying the hardware is slow compared to other flagship models, this model is very smooth. This is Motorola's first phone since Google bought them. If you read some reviews on the Moto X, you will see it's not quite as fast as a Samsung S4 or LG G2, but it's not a monster sized phone like them either. Only complaint I have is that the camera is not that great - low light photos are terrible. As a phone & internet device, it is spectacular.

What I like about the Moto X:
Minimal to no bloatware
ASSEMBLED IN THE USA (Texas)!!!!
Size (smaller & good fit)
Active notifications
Touchless Control (Voice-activation/use) I use it a lot!

I'll close by saying my wife went with the Galaxy S4. That thing is huge, but she uses it to read books on the Nook app much of the time, so she wanted to have a bigger screen. It has lots of gimmicky features - some that are REALLY neat, but just not that useful in daily use. I also had it crash on my twice when setting it up on day 1. After having a faulty S2, a Samsung SmartTV, & seeing the wife's S4 also act up, I've about had it with Samsung stuff.

louielouie2000
01-27-2014, 12:25 PM

Web-browsing
Email
Phone
Tapatalk
Music
Other apps.

A friend of mine has the same problem with his iPhone 4 camera. Takes very foggy pictures. It's especially bad at night. My identical iPhone 4 is actually older than his, but still takes gorgeous pictures. I'm not sure what the root cause of y'all's problem is.

Regarding the phone heating up and losing charge, that's most likely a network connection issue. When my phone can't communicate with the network properly because of a poor 3G signal, the phone gets hot, and the battery gets zapped. When you realize your phone is getting hot, you can do a few things. Turn off all your apps (if you don't know how to do that, I bet one of your kids can show you), and/or reset your network connections by turning your airplane mode on for a few seconds, then turning it back off. I find myself doing the latter quite often at work. I think because I work in a steel & concrete office tower, my phone just can't get a very good triangulated signal.

Agreed. I've updated the operating systems as they've come out, and each one bogs down my phone a bit more. I didn't realize how clunky it had gotten until recently when my nephew was trying to play a game on my phone.

Thankfully, I'm finally eligible for an upgrade on Saturday. I've been doing some extensive research and had been considering switching to a Galaxy S4 due to it's much larger screen size. After all, the iPhone 4 is just absurdly tiny these days. However, I still don't think Samsung has quite caught up to Apple in regards to build/materials quality. I've read lots of accounts about those phones delaminating & such in heat (here in Texas, heat is a serious issue). Plus, the way the S4 feels in my hand just feels cheap compared to my iPhone. It just feels like if I dropped it, that it would shatter into a million pieces. I can't even count how many times I've dropped my iPhone, and it doesn't have a scratch or a dent on it. I can't say I'm terribly thrilled about buying an iPhone 5s, but for me, I think it's the best option for me at the moment. I don't get terribly geeky with my phone- I just need something that has high material/build quality & will last until I am eligible for my next upgrade. And at the moment, nothing is really comparable to Apple in those regards. Samsung & HTC may have one upped Apple recently in regards to features, but I still don't feel they've leap frogged Apple in regards to build materials & quality.

Timebender
01-27-2014, 01:22 PM
If you're on Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile, they all offer plans now where you don't get locked into a contract, and you pay a monthly fee for the phone (like $20-30 or so) which then lets you upgrade to a new model at anytime.. So if you get a 5s now, when the 6 comes out you can switch out to it.

DMCVegas
01-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Even the Otterbox is a PITA for an iPhone to put into your pocket. Apple does tend to keep things closed off, but they have their reasoning. With the iPhone it's because a soft cell battery saves space for more cells, so it's closed-off to keep people from accidentally squeezing it. The biggest problem with iOS slowing down can be 3rd party apps that don't get updated, and then start having memory problems. iOS perpetuates this with it's Saved Application State (like in OS X) that keeps the software opening up at the same problem point, which results in it looping the CPU and draining battery power, etc. iOS 7 seems to have somewhat taken care of a good portion of this with the automatic updates that purge the memory states. And of course the more you use the phone, the more you use both battery power and the faster you consume the battery. I still get decent battery life for a phone that's coming up on 2 years old when using it, and a couple days standby time. I've got a 4S 64GB, and the only thing I wish it had was the LTE capability simply for a more robust connection. Otherwise I could easily use this phone for another 2 years and be very happy.

For me the biggest problem with Android has always been the hardware. I'm know I could research and learn, but with iOS, Apple controls the hardware and when I get a brand-new iPhone I know it's going to be able to run the latest version of iOS and will be secure. With Android phones, there are vendors who are still hocking outdated phones that can't run the latest Android OS. This means it runs slower, is less secure, and doesn't guarantee compatibility with my other equipment or Apps. And that still doesn't even take into consideration the massive problems with Google Play and the malware they're offering up as trusted software.

And finally is the repairability. The 4 & 4S are the exception somewhat (though quickly becoming obsolete), but I can quickly get a screen replaced at any Apple store without having to swap out and setup a new phone. Same with the battery, camera, microphone, speakers, buttons, etc. And if I do get the unit swapped out, when I do it at an Apple store if the unit isn't a brand-new one off the production line, it's at least a fully warrantied rebuild rather than a hacked refurb. I don't know where the Android or Blackberry store is, or what the procedures involved are. And even then if an Apple store isn't near by, AppleCare support can mail you out a replacement device. So for me the support network has been a huge factor in sticking with Apple. Admittedly for full disclosure I am a previous employee of Apple, but from before I worked there, and since leaving the company, the Apple Store experience is also a huge part of the reasoning too. I prefer someone being honest with me, rather than pressuring me into purchasing something I don't want simply because they're getting a $50 kickback on each phone from Samsung.

Is it in a case?

Dangermouse
01-27-2014, 04:08 PM
If you're on Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile, they all offer plans now where you don't get locked into a contract, and you pay a monthly fee for the phone (like $20-30 or so) which then lets you upgrade to a new model at anytime.. So if you get a 5s now, when the 6 comes out you can switch out to it.

I have seen that; you are essentially just leasing the phone, like a car, and if you leave for another provider you must pay the balance on the phone.

DMCVegas
01-27-2014, 05:10 PM
I have seen that; you are essentially just leasing the phone, like a car, and if you leave for another provider you must pay the balance on the phone.

So very, very true! With a traditional contract/subsidy you get to keep the device at the end of the contract, AND they'll unlock it for you to use with another carrier. At least as long as it's a GSM phone. Or you can just buy an unlocked phone outright if that's your end goal. But anyways you're just paying more for a phone you don't get to keep, so that you can simply get a new one quicker. The better idea would of course be to simply shell out a little bit more money and buy a phone that you're happy with in the long run, but then again the target audience for these kinds of phones really isn't people with that mentality. It's for people who have to always have the newest device simply for the specs, and/or ones that can't keep from breaking their devices constantly.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rz3842NMWQA/UQwaMIE0eYI/AAAAAAAAC7c/ntgGhE04fmw/s1600/NO%2BNO%2BNO%2BI%2BDONT%2BWANT%2BTO%C2%A0and%2Bmy% 2Bcrack%2Bis%2Bnot%2Beven%2Bon%2Bthe%2Bback%2BITS% 2BON%2BTHE%2BFRONT%2BAND%2BI%2BCANT%2BSEE%2BANYTHI NG%C2%A0.jpeg

DMCMW Dave
01-27-2014, 05:25 PM

I just upgraded my iPhone and they pitched this "deal" to me. I did the math in my head and embarrassed the sales guy. They are essentially charging you twice for the phone if you go the full 2 years. So only do that "deal" if you really want a new phone every 12 months. Because that's how fast you are paying for the phone.

PS - This is iPhone #2 for me and the ability to do 4GLTE is amazing all by itself. Apple (Verizon?) was a bit late to this party but it really works well.

jmettee
01-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Forgot to add this to my previous post. A comparison of durability for iPhone 5s, 5c, Moto X, & Samsung S4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuwkrbhmYU

Dangermouse
01-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Regarding the phone heating up and losing charge, that's most likely a network connection issue. When my phone can't communicate with the network properly because of a poor 3G signal, the phone gets hot, and the battery gets zapped.

You may be on to something here. I was out of state (in Birmingham AL) when this happened, but still on AT&T. Both my kids HTC Androids did the same thing when we were in the UK last month and we almost ordered new batteries, but everything rectified itself when we got back home.

I had that in mind last night when I got back to Atlanta and I did a hard reboot of the phone, once it charged up again. 100% charge before I went to bed, dead in the morning. 40% charge after breakfast. Another hard reboot and left off for 30 minute commute. Turn back on and charge to 60%. 60 % down to 14% took about an hour and then it stabilized at 14 for an hour. Cool to the touch too. Charged it back to 100% and it looks good since then.

So I have determined that my phone is going senile – as long as it is in its home environment it is fine, albeit a little slow and forgetful (sometimes it forgets all my Safari “Favorites”), but take it somewhere new and it gets all hot and bothered, has an anxiety attack and collapses.

Crisis averted for now.

Perhaps I should just euthanize it and get a newer, sexier model. I’ll ask my wife………I'm sure she won't see any parallels

Turn off all your apps (if you don't know how to do that, I bet one of your kids can show you)

Thankfully I am not that decrepit :). They regularly direct me to do that, but it doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell.