PDA

View Full Version : DashCam Thread

Dangermouse
06-07-2013, 08:39 AM
It's about time we had a thread on this.

Let's start with some of those crazy Russians

Who is the luckiest SOB, the lady at 2:48 or the guy at 3:48?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAaW_1FzYg&feature=player_embedded

Jimmyvonviggle
06-07-2013, 01:06 PM
That is truly frightening. I am so surprised more people didn't get killed, talk about dumb luck.

It would be nice to see some DeLorean dash cam footage, without all the drama of course.

DL4567
06-07-2013, 01:46 PM
These Russian dashcam videos are always highly entertaining, but I find myself wondering more and more each time, why are the drivers SOOOOO bad there? I mean, WTF? What hasn't happened there that has happened in other countries where the drivers are "normal?"

EdR5150
06-07-2013, 01:52 PM
It's about time we had a thread on this.

There was some other discussion going on here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6240

I've been using my dash cam in my daily driver, but have yet to catch anything good on video. My family and friends still haven't embraced it, and some are confused. I've told them to check out the Russian videos on youtube. :rolleyes1:

DL4567
06-07-2013, 02:05 PM
I've been using my dash cam in my daily driver, but have yet to catch anything good on video.

Yep, because you live in "normal" country. :)

Farrar
06-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I just ordered one of those dashcams from eBay and plan on putting it in my daily driver. I figure the next time someone runs a stop sign and I don't slam on my brakes quickly enough, the video will come in handy for the police report and insurance claim. :P

THVGJP
06-07-2013, 05:42 PM
These Russian dashcam videos are always highly entertaining, but I find myself wondering more and more each time, why are the drivers SOOOOO bad there? I mean, WTF? What hasn't happened there that has happened in other countries where the drivers are "normal?"

Because in mother Russia and other CIS countries, laws exist but are frequently and blatentely ignored, and rarely enforced. When and if they are enforced its by a corrupt cop who wants a bribe. There are hardly and roads up to interstate standards, most roads are equal to our state or Us highways. In Ukraine there is only 10 miles or so of modern Interstate highway, max speed is 120 kmh/hr. Also no one wears seatbelts, air bags are unheard of, I have been in many near death situations with Russian drivers, its like the wild west.
Glen

DL4567
06-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Because in mother Russia and other CIS countries, laws exist but are frequently and blatentely ignored, and rarely enforced. When and if they are enforced its by a corrupt cop who wants a bribe. There are hardly and roads up to interstate standards, most roads are equal to our state or Us highways. In Ukraine there is only 10 miles or so of modern Interstate highway, max speed is 120 kmh/hr. Also no one wears seatbelts, air bags are unheard of, I have been in many near death situations with Russian drivers, its like the wild west.
Glen

Hey, thanks for the answer! Yeah I figured it was something along those lines, but didn't really know. I guess it will take some time for Russia to pull itself together. Even though it's a "developed" country, it's lagging behind the western world in many ways.

Dangermouse
06-07-2013, 10:48 PM
If the stories are to believed, every other car in Russia has a dashcam so are bound to catch some crazy gold in amongst the millions of miles of normality. That, and what the poster above said.

As dash cams become more popular over here you'll start to see some crazy stuff here. I wonder which state will lead the pack :)

THVGJP
06-08-2013, 02:53 PM
If the stories are to believed, every other car in Russia has a dashcam so are bound to catch some crazy gold in amongst the millions of miles of normality. That, and what the poster above said.

As dash cams become more popular over here you'll start to see some crazy stuff here. I wonder which state will lead the pack :)

I don't know why dash cams are so popular there, most taxi and car service drivers have them ( there are more taxi's and car services than privately owned cars). It may be a status symbol, like blue jeans in Soviet times or a protection against false accident claims. There lots of set up accidents to shake other drivers down for cash, no insurance like we have here.
Glen

Furry_DeLorean
06-09-2013, 03:25 PM
I got a dashcam in my daily driver. It once recorded a big puff of smoke from a big rig almost rear-ending a car. Other than that nothing dramatic.

DL4567
06-09-2013, 05:34 PM
This article explains it pretty well. It seems that the abundance of dash cams isn't the #1 reason there are so many of these videos, it's mostly that Russia really is shitty, and that's why there are so many dashcams -- people protecting themselves from all the shittyness. Accident fraud and bad drivers are extremely common, and the poor road conditions don't help.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/12/10/166863893/how-about-a-little-drive-hmm-a-horror-story?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20121210

Mark D
06-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Russian dash cam crash videos are one of those Youtube rabbit holes you can fall down pretty easily.... I was watching a few last week and looked at the clock and 2 hours had gone by.

The abundance of crappy drivers there seems to be the reason why so many people have dash cams installed. If I was living over there I'd definitely want one. Even driving around here in the US I've had my share of crazy things happen where I wished I would have caught it on camera.

ALEXAKOS
06-10-2013, 10:14 AM
This is one of the funniest I have seen!
(no accident involved)
Smart ass payback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bio-MEjjC1Y

ALEXAKOS
06-10-2013, 10:18 AM
and a few more for ya Mouse;)

Notice the pedestrian shoot at the bully LADA driver:angry_whip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-l4w-DIiXk&feature=player_detailpage

Oh... and do a wheel escape count! hahahahah

Dangermouse
06-10-2013, 10:25 AM
I wonder which state will lead the pack :)

Looks like Ontario takes an early lead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QML-1P5xgcI

Balloons are a nice touch. I must start carry some in the trunk for added points

Farrar
06-10-2013, 10:28 AM
That's a rear airbag system, not balloons. :P

Farrar
06-15-2013, 10:54 AM
I just got my dashcam (via eBay from China). It's a model 207GS, the GS standing for "G Sensor." It also has a motion sensor. I wonder how sensitive the motion sensor is -- I work at a university, and there are always people, cats, birds, and such moving around near the lot where I park. Anyway, I'll go make a little test of it and post the results here later. For $70, I'm not sure what to expect...

I will not test the "G Sensor." :lol:

One quibble: there was no protective cover on the camera lens, so the first thing I did was get my tumbprint on it when I took it out of the package. :cry:

Farrar
06-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Here's a little bit of my first drive with the camera on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeGsIzBo9Zc

The h264 encoding means that it looks pretty good on my computer, but looks pretty bad once it gets re-encoded by YouTube.

One thing I noticed when I went through the setup menu later is that there's a "light frequency" setting. I changed it from 50Hz to 60Hz. I'll see if that makes any difference.

(I also set the date and time. Heh.)

The field of vision it captures is pretty good. I mounted it just beneath and to the left of my rear-view mirror. Unfortunately, there are times when the glare is pretty bad, but all in all I'd say it's fine for a $70 unit off of eBay. :)

Chris4099
06-15-2013, 11:02 PM
The following happened to me a few days ago. While I didn't hit the person, it shows how my DashCam could have shown I was going below the speed limit and how they darted out from behind a car with minimal visibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj9esENwP_0

My camera is mounted behind the rear view mirror, so I don't really see it there while driving. It's also wired to a switched 12V source, so it only records while I drive. If there is any "event" due to sudden G forces (the quick stop here triggered it), it will tag the video when I do a playback. It's also GPS enabled, so when I play it back using their viewer, it notes my location on a Google map.

One day I'll get around to mounting one on my D, but since it's not a daily driver, it's less critical.

DL4567
06-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Looks pretty good indeed for $70! I take it the compression macroblocking isn't there or much less when viewing the file off youtube?

Michael
06-16-2013, 12:05 AM
I just got back from a cruise-in in a small town about 20 miles form me. I took my dash cam, but after watching the footage, I really wish I had left it running while I was parked. This is from my dash cam I bought in the other thread for 36 bucks.

Just a note...nothing happens, it was just fun to watch the reactions of almost everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48aVpBOPO1Y

ALEXAKOS
06-16-2013, 04:06 AM
You have an amazing sound on your D there Mike:)

Farrar
06-16-2013, 11:43 AM
I take it the compression macroblocking isn't there or much less when viewing the file off youtube?

Yes, I was surprised to see all of that when I viewed it on YouTube. It looks much better on my computer.

Farrar
06-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Nighttime test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8Ovyg4QJM

Minor quibble: Even though I turned audio recording off, it still records an audio stream (177 kbps), albeit a silent one. A waste of space, but SD cards are cheap. And on my 8GB SD card, I had just over two hours of driving recorded with nearly 900 MB of space left.

Still, for $70 I can't really complain.

nimaside
06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
I just got back from a cruise-in in a small town about 20 miles form me. I took my dash cam, but after watching the footage, I really wish I had left it running while I was parked. This is from my dash cam I bought in the other thread for 36 bucks.

Just a note...nothing happens, it was just fun to watch the reactions of almost everyone.

I love this video. I like seeing the reactions plus the cars. Nice job.

DL4567
06-18-2013, 02:17 PM

Michael, that video looks like a perfect example of what you meant in the other thread where you said

Maybe living in the south has something to do with it, but I am so sick of American muscle....not the cars themselves, it's just every car show/cruise in I happen to find myself at, I am flooded with the same ol same ol. Mustang, F-Body, Corvette, or Chevy sedan. It's like a repetitive dance while walking I can look and see Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, 55-57 Chevy...repeat.

I watched the whole 6 minutes and didn't see one car that excited me. Looks like you didn't stay for the show? LOL, I can't imagine why... I would feel equally out of place in the DeLorean -- it gets frustrating at southern shows watching people spaz out over yet another muscle car and then pass right by the DeLorean like it's boring. Their brains are wired backwards I tells ya.

Looks like a quaint little town. Where do you live?

Michael
06-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Michael, that video looks like a perfect example of what you meant in the other thread where you said

I watched the whole 6 minutes and didn't see one car that excited me. Looks like you didn't stay for the show? LOL, I can't imagine why... I would feel equally out of place in the DeLorean -- it gets frustrating at southern shows watching people spaz out over yet another muscle car and then pass right by the DeLorean like it's boring. Their brains are wired backwards I tells ya.

Looks like a quaint little town. Where do you live?

Actually I stayed about an hour, I just stopped the recording while parked. This was in Elizabethton TN. They have a cruise in every Saturday, and although there wasn't much there when this video was made, there is quite a array of nice cars that is usually present. Granted they are all alike, but the cars are not junk and would not look out of place at a Barrett Jackson staging lane.

Pretty much the same people come every weekend, so all the "regulars" know and have seen the car, but the first night I showed up..... Woahhhh......I felt like Elvis came back from the dead riding in on Pegasus. There were so many people around the car at any given time you couldn't even see the car.

DL4567
06-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Actually I stayed about an hour, I just stopped the recording while parked. This was in Elizabethton TN. They have a cruise in every Saturday, and although there wasn't much there when this video was made, there is quite a array of nice cars that is usually present. Granted they are all alike, but the cars are not junk and would not look out of place at a Barrett Jackson staging lane.

Pretty much the same people come every weekend, so all the "regulars" know and have seen the car, but the first night I showed up..... Woahhhh......I felt like Elvis came back from the dead riding in on Pegasus. There were so many people around the car at any given time you couldn't even see the car.

Sounds like you've got a bit better crowd than here. Don't get me wrong, I'd *love* to have a pristine 57 Bel Air coupe, but just about all the other stuff doesn't excite me. Most of the local shows around here are dominated by the same old, same old, and at such shows people don't seem to be that interested in my DeLorean. There are a couple local Euro/British/mix shows per year that are much more enjoyable to attend, both in terms of what other cars are there, and crowd reaction.

And you're right, being a "regular" is a factor too. There's nothing like attending something for the first time - much more fun because you're new and exciting. I always tell myself that if I ever got my dream Keaton batmobile, once everyone has seen it, they'd be used to it and be like "there's the batmobile guy again...." whenever I would pull up at a show. Heh.

Farrar
06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Most of the local shows around here are dominated by the same old, same old, and at such shows people don't seem to be that interested in my DeLorean.

Sometimes it's what people know. I once went to a show where everyone who oohing and aahing the Fords and Chevys, and I was one of maybe three people in awe of a perfectly-restored 1947 Packard stationwagon. Meanwhile the American Muscle fanboys just kept walking on by... probably completely unaware of what they'd just glanced at.

Jimmyvonviggle
06-18-2013, 11:16 PM
That's pretty interesting seeing people's reactions. In many cases it looked like people were impressed by the D but didn't want to make a large emotional display. Like seeing your favourite celebrity, and making like its no big deal.

DMCflux
06-19-2013, 03:37 PM
If anyone has purchased a dash cam off ebay with relatively good playback resolution can you post the link? Thank you

Farrar
06-19-2013, 03:54 PM
I bought mine from user estore009 on eBay.

Dangermouse
06-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Don't try this at home. Not closed road. Not professional driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkasHdSb1nQ&feature=youtu.be

(and off topic rant - whats with all the faux German license plates I am seeing these days on all sorts of cars)

wrkey
06-25-2013, 04:19 PM
"Not professional driver."

Understatement and spoiler alert!!!!

Jimmyvonviggle
06-25-2013, 05:10 PM
What's funny is how casually he was driving. His attitude was like he was taking a Sunday cruise, and underestimated the curves and overestimated his skills.

Oh and I'm sure this BMW will be on copart soon or one of those dealers.

Dangermouse
06-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Notice how quickly the side airbag/curtain triggers - the car was only slightly off horizontal.

And I like how the passenger side door is somehow unmarked in the final photos.

dmc6960
06-25-2013, 10:19 PM
.And I like how the passenger side door is somehow unmarked in the final photos.

Proof that it really does just buff right out!

Farrar
07-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Well, if anyone was interested, the $70 dashcam I got off of eBay works, but the mounting hardware leaves much to be desired. First, the plastic thumbnuts let go as the material expands and contracts with temperature, so you end up re-tightening the nuts every couple of days. And today I went out to find that the suction cup had simply given up entirely -- I couldn't get it to stick back up to the windshield. Hm! Well, you can buy camera mounts (this dashcam has a standard 1/4"-20 hole at the bottom), but still it was annoying. I'd rather the camera have come without hardware so I could save a couple of bucks and then buy or make my own. Anyway, for what it's worth, I'd say if you buy the unit off of eBay, ditch the mounting hardware that comes with it and get something better. That's my advice.

Dangermouse
07-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Give that grill gas tank truck plenty of room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vewwyrvzZws&feature=youtu.be&t=9s

Middle part gets quiet and then it all goes off again at 2:00

To quote the bible according to Monty Python "Run Away, Run Away"

DL4567
07-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Give that grill gas tank truck plenty of room

Middle part gets quiet and then it all goes off again at 2:00

To quote the bible according to Monty Python "Run Away, Run Away"

I was waiting for a HUUUUUGE explosion at the end, of that tanker truck, making the extreme backing up distance worth it. But it never came..... :(

Roman Legion
07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
I wish there were a youtube channel of DeLorean only dashboard cams for those of us without a DeLorean of our own.

dvonk
07-26-2013, 12:47 AM
I wish there were a youtube channel of DeLorean only dashboard cams for those of us without a DeLorean of our own.

speaking of us 'wannabes'... where has Karin been lately?

Farrar
07-26-2013, 01:33 PM

Not on the dash, but on the parcel shelf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsqZrqzLGHw

Roman Legion
07-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Not on the dash, but on the parcel shelf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsqZrqzLGHw

Even better than dash, Farrar! I hope you make plenty of those videos, I love these kinds of things. My odd substitute for actually driving a DeLorean.

Farrar
07-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Even better than dash, Farrar! I hope you make plenty of those videos, I love these kinds of things. My odd substitute for actually driving a DeLorean.

I actually bought a dashcam, but that vid was made over two years ago with just my regular camera on a tripod. I'll have to figure out a way of mounting the dashcam somehow that doesn't use a suction cup -- in this heat, my camera's suction cup partially melted while the car was parked (it was over 160°F in the car). Camera mounts are 1/4"-20 screws... I can figure something out, I'm sure. ;)

Roman Legion
07-26-2013, 02:08 PM
I actually bought a dashcam, but that vid was made over two years ago with just my regular camera on a tripod. I'll have to figure out a way of mounting the dashcam somehow that doesn't use a suction cup -- in this heat, my camera's suction cup partially melted while the car was parked (it was over 160°F in the car). Camera mounts are 1/4"-20 screws... I can figure something out, I'm sure. ;)

I hope so, because for me and I'll assume many others, that would be one awesome channel. Just driving anywere anytime you take the D out for a drive.

ALEXAKOS
07-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Nice aspect vid Farrar! Gives. Great feeling of what it is like sitting in a DeLorean.

Also gives the false impression there is a back seat:tongue2:

Farrar
07-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Nice aspect vid Farrar! Gives. Great feeling of what it is like sitting in a DeLorean.

Also gives the false impression there is a back seat:tongue2:

Ha ha, thanks! I am going to see what it looks like when I put my 270° lens back there -- you should be able to see out of the side windows, too!

Delorean02378
01-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Bought this one from Ebay today, I'll report out on it after I've used it for a while.

HD IR 1080P DVR Car Vehicle Dash Cam G-sensor HDMI Camera Vedio Recorder GS8000L

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HD-1080P-2-7-inch-LCD-Car-DVR-Vehicle-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dash-Cam-GS8000L-/400603139744?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Reco rders_Cards&hash=item5d45cecea0

vwdmc16
01-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Damn that is a cheap price if it does all it claim. I really could use on of these in all my cars

Spittybug
01-15-2014, 09:49 PM
I too am eager to hear how it works....

OverlandMan
04-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Just saw this posted earlier today. Got some clean underpants?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLZjq2vxD3Q

Farrar
04-09-2014, 02:48 PM
I eventually settled on this model (http://www.amazon.com/HZZ-1080p-Dashboard-Camera-Recorder/dp/B00G8RO1RC). I like it so far.

I also like the fact that I can stick a mount to the other car's windshield, run a power cable, and swap the camera between cars.

wrkey
04-09-2014, 03:03 PM
From ad:
Note:
1. Built-in battery lasts few minutes when car engine is down,the item must connect the car charger to work.
2. When you meet crashes phenomenon caused by improper operation,press reset button and then boot the device return to normal.

Uhhhhh... say what?

Bought this one from Ebay today, I'll report out on it after I've used it for a while.

HD IR 1080P DVR Car Vehicle Dash Cam G-sensor HDMI Camera Vedio Recorder GS8000L

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HD-1080P-2-7-inch-LCD-Car-DVR-Vehicle-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dash-Cam-GS8000L-/400603139744?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Reco rders_Cards&hash=item5d45cecea0

Farrar
04-09-2014, 03:10 PM
From ad:
Note:
1. Built-in battery lasts few minutes when car engine is down,the item must connect the car charger to work.
2. When you meet crashes phenomenon caused by improper operation,press reset button and then boot the device return to normal.

Uhhhhh... say what?

It's made in China. You expected a good translation into English?

The unit works fine. Here's a review of a similar unit from the UK (previous firmware - mine stores in .mov format and velocity unit can be switched).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8

ccurzio
05-03-2014, 09:51 AM
I bought the 0801 from the video in the last post, replacing my GoPro Hero2 solution. I like that it powers on and starts recording as soon as power hits the camera (meaning I don't have to fumble with it to turn it on, switch to video and hit "record") but now I'm left trying to find a solution to wire the camera power to an accessory lead rather than the cigarette lighter. (The cigarette lighter is powered even when the car is off. That's no good, since it would leave the camera running all the time.)

Jonathan
05-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Chris,

Just an idea for where to get that power from, but if you have a manual transmission, you could conceivably use the extra power wire that is used on the PRND21 light bulbs on automatics. I have seen photos from manual cars where that wire is just tucked or taped back but it is still there. It's fairly close to where the cigarette lighter is if you wanted to incorporate that into your dashcam power source. Not sure on what the power draw would be or the rating on that auto trans light bulb wire, so you'd want to check it out beforehand. I believe that wire/light bulb only gets power when you have the lights on. That might work for you or it might not, but just thought I'd mention it.

Ron
05-03-2014, 05:26 PM
.. but now I'm left trying to find a solution to wire the camera power to an accessory lead rather than the cigarette lighter. (The cigarette lighter is powered even when the car is off. That's no good, since it would leave the camera running all the time.)Most any of the Solid Green, or, Light Green/White wires would work regardless of what they run since the cam is relatively low powered...

Michael
05-03-2014, 06:40 PM
That's not a bad looking cam. I may get one since it's so small and I'm tired of switching cameras out from the work van to the Delorean.

chris williams
05-04-2014, 03:50 AM
Most any of the Solid Green, or, Light Green/White wires would work regardless of what they run since the cam is relatively low powered...
Excersise care though, a lot of these run at 5v through some tiny adaptor in the plug in lighter.....don't ask how I found that one out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HD-1080P...item5d45cecea0
We have a few of these installed in our work vehicles and they have been working well for nearly a year or so. The instructions are rubbish but once you have set the date/time etc they work well.
Chris

EdR5150
05-04-2014, 08:46 AM
I just bought an 0801 dash cam myself. While installing my awesome new power outlight/lighter….

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9635#post141426

…I added two more power outlets under the dash for electronics:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CA00/10242/N0318.oap?ck=Search_power+outlet_N0318_-1_4357

Fuse 17 is rated at 20 amps, and my new lighter draws under 7.5. My cell phone and dash cam combined draw less that 1 amp, and my ’83 also doesn’t have a clock on Fuse 17. Adding two more outlets wasn’t a problem, and it will be nice to keep all these power connectors out of sight. Since Fuse 17 is live all the time, I decided on another mod:

http://store.delorean.com/p-10223-onoff-switch-console-pair.aspx

After some fast shipping with DMCMW, I cut the wiring harness and put a switch in the middle of the circuit. So now all my power outlets are controlled by the switch. This allows me to stop and start my dash cam whenever I want without touching the cam or the power connector. I plan to use this to record DCS and some Cruise Ins, as well as all my drives.
My A Pillar trim is off the car right now, so I’ll be running the power for the dash cam behind the trim, then above the headliner. I’m also installing a new head unit with Bluetooth, that has a wired mic. The mic wire is also going behind the A Pillar trim, and the mic will be on the driver’s side at the top corner of the windshield.

Blog post: http://www.16908.info/?p=2573

dtavres
08-15-2016, 05:37 PM
I LOVE the Mobius cam... Under $80 (US), HD video, and very small! Here's a link - http://amzn.to/2aGVLYT

Also, much of the video on this site is from a Mobius - www.YesterdaysDrive.com

THE QUESTION:
Should I only use the suction cup mount, or do the adhesive mount?

I know the adhesive can be easily scraped off the glass, and I don't really see a downside (assuming it's positioned correctly on stick! lol)

The biggest reason I want to use the adhesive one, is the low profile.

Right now, I'm using this suction cup mount - http://amzn.to/2bzHldG

But I've bought these adhesive ones too - http://amzn.to/2bzGUQG

Thoughts?

Farrar
08-15-2016, 05:57 PM
In my experience, adhesive works better than suction on very hot days.

Farrar
09-04-2016, 04:42 PM
I eventually settled on this model (http://www.amazon.com/HZZ-1080p-Dashboard-Camera-Recorder/dp/B00G8RO1RC). I like it so far.

I also like the fact that I can stick a mount to the other car's windshield, run a power cable, and swap the camera between cars.

Update: A hot day killed this unit. But the mount is still stuck to my windshield -- 3M adhesive wins.

refugeefromcalif
09-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Update: A hot day killed this unit. But the mount is still stuck to my windshield -- 3M adhesive wins.

That's one of the reasons I went with a suction cup mount with my Garmin Dash cam 35. After a couple weeks of hot days, it loses suction and falls on the dash. (So far, the dach cam still works).

George

Johnny-T
09-05-2016, 03:44 AM
I just installed a Viofo A119 camera in my D. I plan on uploading "bad driver" vids on youtube once I get the hang of it. I was even able to change my Youtube name to Delorean Dash Cam. So keep and eye out. I will post again once I start uploading.

DaraSue
05-24-2017, 12:28 PM
Resurrecting this thread since most of the responses are from 2014 and earlier, and a lot can change tech and price-wise in 3 years. Any new recommendations?

Farrar
05-24-2017, 03:59 PM
This one looks promising, but it needs to be hard wired.

https://www.amazon.com/SpyTec-A119-Logger-1440p-Camera/dp/B01HN0HBFG

Bitsyncmaster
05-24-2017, 04:45 PM
I bought this one and it seems to work OK.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CCJGA8M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One thing with this one and maybe many others, they expect your cig/lighter socket will power off when the car is turned off. So the unit will not power on and off automatically with most US made cars.

Chris4099
05-26-2017, 08:15 PM
I just purchased two of these (but sadly have since sold out):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR82RKD

At $70, it has all the major features and remarkable resolution (major factor in dash cams so you can easily see details like license plate numbers). I just installed it in my wife's daily driver but we then left on a one week vacation. So I haven't had a chance to fully test it out just yet. Assuming the seller restocks soon, it may be a good option.

Michael
05-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Almost anything you buy on ebay for under 50 bucks will be cheap Chinese knock offs of high end cams, which isn't a bad thing. I have a few of them and they work fine (although one died but I got a free replacement). For 30 bucks or so you can't have high standards but they all impressed me greatly. Keep in mind the 1080p or better ratings might be true, but the frame rate will suffer. Again, all fine for the money you are spending.

You should look for a design that you like because the tech is pretty much all the same at this price point and be sure to get a hard wire option (most come with a cig lighter plug). You will need this because the batteries in all of them only last about an hour and they deteriorate quickly (ie, after 20 cycles you may only get 20 min). You can just wire them into the ignition, but I keep mine on the plug so I can transport it from car to car. You will have to develop a habit of plugging it up, just like your seat belt. Another advantage is sometimes I leave it plugged up when I leave the vehicle. haven't caught anything yet but if I ever come out and see a traffic accident in front of my car I will have some footage for someone.

Jonathan
02-25-2019, 07:33 PM
Not sure if the Tesla driver is crazy about Elvis, but I'm certain he ain't thrilled with the bus drivers here in town...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0JBNzFCas