PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C heater core/evaporator replacement - what to buy?

Farrar
07-11-2011, 01:53 AM
OK, gang, I'm going to go where I've never gone before: into the heater box to replace my leaky heater core and evaporator!

Here's what I need to know: what am I going to have to replace while I'm in there?

Seals?
Hoses?
Plastic bits?
Rubber bits?
Wires?
Connectors?
Steel screws that should be replaced with stainless?
Anything I will break along the way and need to replace?

I already have the short hose and orifice tube, and I will order the evaporator and heater core soon. Now I need to complete my shopping list! It sounds dumb, but the situation is that I need to order all the parts in advance, because I will be using someone else's workspace and time will therefore be at a premium -- I don't want to have to sit around for a week waiting on parts while my car sits at someone else's house taking up space.

This is a job I only want to do ONCE, so all suggestions are appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Farrar

sdg3205
07-11-2011, 03:03 AM
I don't envy you Farrar, but this is something I have to do this fall as well!

Your thread couldn't have come at a better time as I'll need to study up for my heater core replacement too.

I don't mind being a little cold in the car, but I know there's not much I can do with my A/C until i fix the heater core so Im baking in there right now.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes, bud!

David T
07-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Among the things you will need, you will require:
Foam to replace the "dead" stuff you will encounter (usually obtainable locally)
Sealing putty
Possible fan motor
Heater hoses
If the heater core is stained with green and/or visible leaks it will have to be replaced. At the very least is should be cleaned and pressure tested.
Label all of your vacuum hoses to make it easier to reinstall. Replace light bulbs. If the rubber vacuum hoses are not in good shape they should be replaced. If you will not be putting in refrigerant right away make sure the ends of the evap coil are tightly sealed against dirt and moisture. Take a lot of pictures and notes as to how everything is routed so you can put it all back the way it comes out.
David Teitelbaum

Farrar
07-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks, David. I'll take each item in turn.

Foam to replace the "dead" stuff you will encounter (usually obtainable locally)

I take it that I want closed-cell foam with adhesive on one side? Or do I want double-sided?

Sealing putty

Is that the same as plumber's putty?

Possible fan motor

I did replace the blower motor last year. Fortunately, it's doing fine.

Heater hoses

Are silicone heater hoses available? I'd like to avoid doing this job for another ten years.

If the heater core is stained with green and/or visible leaks it will have to be replaced. At the very least is should be cleaned and pressure tested.

I am replacing the heater core regardless of its condition, although I am assuming it leaks since I have a coolant loss with no drips under the vehicle and a greasy film on my windshield.

Label all of your vacuum hoses to make it easier to reinstall.

Good thought, thanks.

Replace light bulbs.

What light bulbs?

If the rubber vacuum hoses are not in good shape they should be replaced.

Are silicone replacements available?

If you will not be putting in refrigerant right away make sure the ends of the evap coil are tightly sealed against dirt and moisture.

Not right away, no -- after reassembling, I will of course vacuum the system and check for leaks after an hour or so.

John Hervey had the ends of the hoses and accumulator I bought from him well-sealed, so I assume he does the same with his new evaporators.

Thanks again!

Farrar

David T
07-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Depends on what foam you have to replace

Not the same as Plumber's putty. Seam sealer. Go to any big auto body supply or try Eastwood

Check with the vendors as to what hoses are available in silicone.

Any light bulbs you encounter like the ones in the console while it's easy to get to them.

You cannot properly leak test using vacuum. And you will be pulling in contamination if you do have any leaks. If you are connecting everything at least put a small amount of refrigerant in to keep the system pressurized to keep dirt and moisture out.
David Teitelbaum

A Van
07-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Farrar, get the airbox out then post some pics, we can all see what maybe required to reseal dependent on condition etc.

sdg3205
07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
is there a reason your replacing your evaporator too? Or is it just because you are in there?

Farrar
07-11-2011, 04:28 PM
is there a reason your replacing your evaporator too? Or is it just because you are in there?

Yes -- because it leaks. When I was replacing the a/c hoses this spring, I ended up wrenching on the short hose so much that it caused the evaporator to leak where the tube wiggled back and forth.

Farrar

Nicholas R
07-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I have to recommend against buying SpecialTAuto's Evaporator.

I installed theirs back in late 2007 and am now doing the job again as it is leaking. I pulled mine out yesterday and oil was running down the side. There is NO indication that the leak is due to my installation or mishandling, I believe its just in how it was manufactured. I've always had my system properly balanced; it simply "sprung a leak" so to speak. Not sure how that's possible after only 3 years but it did.

Needless to say, today I ordered the Evaporator Kit from DMCMW. Like you said, this is not a job I ever want to do again; and I've already done it once!!! :angry: