PDA

View Full Version : Matt Farrah (from the Smoking Tire) buys a Delorean.

Chris Burns
07-23-2013, 08:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqsg3GoPPBk

Jimmyvonviggle
07-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Not exactly a early DeLorean as he states. And I wouldn't be bragging about the low miles either.
Good to have him as an owner he has always been good to the brand.

thirdmanj
07-23-2013, 08:59 AM
He seems to be under the impression that DMC is the DMC.

Edit: Yeah, "low miles". That's all well and good, but it doesn't mean anything. Maybe the angle drive is broken? If its not replaced, it's bound to as soon as he starts driving it. A "barn find" DeLorean is not the same as a "barn find" Charger, or a Mercedes 300sl, or what have you.

OverlandMan
07-23-2013, 09:02 AM
I know he's a new owner but that's not an 81 hood.

Maybe he'll join this forum and get involved in the community. Or perhaps he's just a TV/youtube whore like videobob :cool1:

thirdmanj
07-23-2013, 09:05 AM
I know he's a new owner but that's not an 81 hood.

Maybe he'll join this forum and get involved in the community. Or perhaps he's just a TV/youtube whore like videobob :cool1:

In all fairness, the hood style is not an absolute indicator. I do wish he would've showed us the VIN plate.

Dangermouse
07-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Nice video of a truly excited new owner. That temp operators permit is a great find !!!!

Come join us Matt. Welcome to the club.

Jimmyvonviggle
07-23-2013, 09:11 AM
I think he said its vin 16046

Dangermouse
07-23-2013, 09:12 AM
In all fairness, the hood style is not an absolute indicator. I do wish he would've showed us the VIN plate.

If you had been super-dorky :tongue:, you would have caught the VIN at the end of the segment.

It's an '83, which is why it isn't an '81 hood.

thirdmanj
07-23-2013, 09:14 AM
If you had been super-dorky :tongue:, you would have caught the VIN at the end of the segment.

It's an '83, which is why it isn't an '81 hood.

Oops. I stand corrected then.

JohnZ
07-23-2013, 11:32 AM
I followed his reviews about the electric Delorean and the motor swapped Delorean time ago... good to see that his Dmc passion goes beyond his job!

:)

Michael
07-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Very glad to see he pulled the trigger on one....It looks like he found a stellar candidate and he is smart enough to know that there is some work to be done before putting it in use. I'm sure that will make a perfect D when DMCCA is finished with it. Looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

I wonder if he will go with the Stage III in the future....I have had my doubts about the cost vs. performance, but I haven't ruled it out for my car either.

DMCMW Dave
07-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I wonder if he will go with the Stage III in the future....I have had my doubts about the cost vs. performance, but I haven't ruled it out for my car either.

I doubt it - the guy makes a living driving some pretty speedy cars, I believe his motivation here is very nice driver-level car. He has talked about this car a couple times on his "Smoking Tire" podcasts (NSFW, BTW).

ALEXAKOS
07-23-2013, 01:29 PM
I remember an older vid he did with the "fastest Delorean" of 575 hp when he was with TUNED and that thing died on him a couple of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEqClpt5ck

In the end he claims that it is best to leave the engine as is. Stock.
Well... He also mentioned that he will buy his from Don in Garden Grove DMC...

Matt kept neither of those statements :P

Enjoy your "new" D Matt and hope to see you in here.

pezzonovante88
07-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks for posting. Seems like there'll be another really nice D on the road. Not sure why he said it's an early car, though.

eagle-co94
07-23-2013, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't jump on him too bad. I'm sure we all made some misquotes when we first got our cars. For me what stood out telling me it wasn't an '81 was the combo of the hood and the exhaust tips. I'm sure he noticed it wasn't an '81 when he was holding the temporary registration in his hand. Too bad about the damage in transit. I also think his reference to DMC was more of DMC is the place to get your car worked on. I hope that he got a great deal on the car because a 3-4 month resto won't be cheap. Then again, if I had the cash I would probably be driving my D already instead of taking to super slow and scenic route.

Michael
07-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Without knowing anything about the car, I'm going to say a 2k mile car that's sat for 28 years will have a resto bill of around 12k.

DMCMW Dave
07-23-2013, 07:45 PM
He mentioned on one of the podcasts about it that he was looking for an 81 but when this one came along (super low mile, original owner, California-kept car) he went for it. Also knowing what that means in terms of restoration.

louielouie2000
07-23-2013, 08:21 PM

It's kind of weird how no one here on DMC Talk has taken the Stage III plunge, and there's not really any videos on youtube of the cars, either. I'm guessing there hasn't been a great take rate for the Stage III cars? :dunno:

Without knowing anything about the car, I'm going to say a 2k mile car that's sat for 28 years will have a resto bill of around 12k.

Since he admitted in the video to purchasing a Stage II upgrade, $12k is probably a conservative estimate. I've never known anyone who has sent their car off to one of the vendors and walked away with a tab that low for that matter... and none have taken the Stage II/Spec II plunge to bolster their tabs, either. My guess is this resto will be around $20k, possibly more.

eagle-co94
07-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Unless you desperately want to keep a PRV under the hood, a motor swap is a cheaper way to make a significant power increase in a D.

thirdmanj
07-23-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't think the Stage III makes economical sense. For the price you pay, it just doesn't seem to add up for what you get. Also, at the risk of starting an argument, it still uses the original fuel delivery system. Why?

Michael
07-23-2013, 08:53 PM
It's kind of weird how no one here on DMC Talk has taken the Stage III plunge, and there's not really any videos on youtube of the cars, either. I'm guessing there hasn't been a great take rate for the Stage III cars? :dunno:

Since he admitted in the video to purchasing a Stage II upgrade, $12k is probably a conservative estimate. I've never known anyone who has sent their car off to one of the vendors and walked away with a tab that low for that matter... and none have taken the Stage II/Spec II plunge to bolster their tabs, either. My guess is this resto will be around $20k, possibly more.

Ohhh I forgot to figure in the stage II, that's 7 grand right there.

pezzonovante88
07-23-2013, 09:31 PM

Isn't that somethin'?

eagle-co94
07-23-2013, 10:09 PM
I don't think the Stage III makes economical sense. For the price you pay, it just doesn't seem to add up for what you get. Also, at the risk of starting an argument, it still uses the original fuel delivery system. Why?

Because if you had a warehouse full of NOS parts wouldn't you want to find a way to use them? I know I would. Now if I didn't have many more of those parts I'd totally make the jump to a more modern setup.

Michael
07-23-2013, 10:22 PM
There was at least one member who got the stage 3 and posted about it. He claimed to love it. Although the HP gains were not very impressive, he reported the torque increase was very noticeable and to be honest, once my car reaches 3,500 it pulls rather nicely, just needs more downstairs. For someone who wants to keep the original driveline, (and has a lot of disposable income) it may be the ticket, but that really is a lot to pay. It also may just be the smallest increase in power ever recorded on an engine after adding a supercharger.

thirdmanj
07-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Because if you had a warehouse full of NOS parts wouldn't you want to find a way to use them? I know I would. Now if I didn't have many more of those parts I'd totally make the jump to a more modern setup.

Certainly. My main concern would be the fuel system. I get NOS, but 30 year old parts are still 30 years old, even if they've never been used. I know we're not talking about food products here, but come on. I suppose if one isn't familiar with the drawbacks of K-Jet, they wouldn't care. Also, the set up (to me) just looks cobbled together. It's a shame they didn't go for the Legend Twin Turbo look.

ALEXAKOS
07-24-2013, 08:58 AM
I hope that he got a great deal on the car because a 3-4 month resto won't be cheap.
Somebody mentioned that the rest is courtesy of DMCCA. Dono if the labor cost is meant by it or the parts as well.

DMCMW Dave
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Somebody mentioned that the rest is courtesy of DMCCA. Dono if the labor cost is meant by it or the parts as well.

I don't "courtesy" meant "free".

Silverbullet
07-24-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't think "courtesy" meant "free".

Well Since Don is no longer with DMCCA and Cameron is running things to try to turn a profit... my guess is he will pay...

Craig

Chris Burns
09-23-2013, 04:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AMO3f6TbsA&noredirect=1

djdogbone
09-23-2013, 11:00 PM
I another DMC on the road soon! It's a good thing in my eyes. If I had the money, I'd do what he's doing! And, having an advocate like the Smoking Tire is a win for the community.

Dangermouse
09-24-2013, 09:02 AM
"Thanks to the DeLorean community for being so nice and pointing out that my car is an 82 and not an 81"

Who wants to nicely tell him that it is actually an 83 (MY83, manufactured in August 82)?

Not that it really matters.

Looking forward to seeing it on the road, if you are reading this Matt.

Chris Burns
11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG5UY8Fg-jE

djdogbone
11-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Another one about to hit the road!

DeLorean03
11-15-2013, 10:23 PM
I've invited him a couple times to the forums - yet to no avail. Oh well :dunno:

pezzonovante88
11-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Does sound pretty nice in the video.

Lenny
11-24-2013, 11:23 AM
I've invited him a couple times to the forums - yet to no avail. Oh well :dunno:

How about letting him now about DCS in Ohio next year.

Chris Burns
12-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Some pictures of Matt's Delorean from Instagram:

Chris Burns
12-10-2013, 01:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZiSiEnstKM

eagle-co94
12-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Now that is one happy man! I hope to feel that same way very soon. I completely agree with his statement "I didn't want a project, I didn't want a problem...what I wanted, was a DeLorean..."

Lenny
12-10-2013, 01:49 PM
"The Tach stays at 1500 when off"?

Mine doesn't what is he talking about?

Rich W
12-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Now that is one happy man! I hope to feel that same way very soon. I completely agree with his statement "I didn't want a project, I didn't want a problem...what I wanted, was a DeLorean..."

FYI - Skip the first minute "commercial", but overall, a positive video. He almost made it through, mostly positive.

It was actually going well until I heard the comment "built by a bunch of drunk Irishmen" at about the 13:20 mark.

Delorean02378
12-10-2013, 01:59 PM
He's definitely bringing some positive attention to our cars. His is a nice example and I'm glad he kept the original radio, it just looks correct to the car.

Let's see if Michael can give us the specifics on his SS Submariner Rolex. :wink:

NightFlyer
12-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the post Chris!

Funny how some things he insisted stay original, while others he swapped out with new/'improved' without seeming to give it much of a second thought...

Definitely looks good though!

I wonder if he paid attention as to whether or not his new Fuzion tires are the made in USA variants, otherwise he would have been better off with the Giugiaro designed Vredesteins.

NightFlyer
12-10-2013, 02:14 PM
FYI - Skip the first minute "commercial", but overall, a positive video. He almost made it through, mostly positive.

It was actually going well until I heard the comment "built by a bunch of drunk Irishmen" at about the 13:20 mark.

Yeah, considering that his car is an actual '83 MY, and originally assembled at the insistence of Sol Shenk, it was more than likely "built by a bunch of drunk American/British management/engineer types!"

I think that's just his brand/style of humor, even if insensitive/insultive of the Irish people.

Let's see if Michael can give us the specifics on his SS Submariner Rolex. :wink:

Hard not to notice the Rolex!

Maybe it's really a 'Folex' like my Diamond Presidential Day/Date (fooled many a people with that one) :wink:

dmcjohn
12-10-2013, 02:35 PM
I (for one anyway - only speaking for myself!) am not in the least bit offended with his joke about drunken Irishmen. Sure it's a stereotype but Irish people are generally good at being able to laugh at themselves :)

JohnZ
12-10-2013, 02:59 PM
I like him! And he seems so proud of the car! In fact, a great work has been done on that D!

:)

DL4567
12-10-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't think he meant any offense with the drunk Irishmen comment. He loves the car and everything about it, including its history.

Yep, I noticed his watch already during their one season of "The Car Show" on Speed Channel. It's a 16610LV Submariner, nicknamed "kermit" by many watch enthusiasts.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/jbp99p/16610LV_Mark_7_M_Serial_2008.jpg

Beautiful watch, but alas, with a Rolex you're always left wondering in the back of your mind whether or not it's real. Unfortunately the popularity of fakes takes away from the "status symbol", if there's always suspicion about it's authenticity. When I see one on someone's wrist in public I usually assume it's genuine and give them the benefit of the doubt, but hey, anyone can wear a fake and most people would never know it unless you're really into watches, and even then you have to hold it to have an indication.

Dangermouse
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Well, I'm OUTRAGED!!

Just as soon as I finish this beer, I'm going to send a stiffly worded email to his boss!

DMCNI
12-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Thats a fella whos conent and happy with his DeLorean....longing for the day I get 1780 on the road and getting those first 150 "me" miles in the car.

If it wasnt for the drunken Irish there might not be a DeLorean :p ha ha

If your reading Matt good luck with your DeLorean and remember "it was made in Belfast and made to last" :)

Michael
12-10-2013, 03:40 PM
I loved watching that! He has the excitement that I had my first week. I thought it was funny when he was showing how all the switches worked perfectly and the defrost switch came loose from its socket. He seemed really worried about originality of the bumpers, but I don't think the hood is original. No matter though, he has a very nice example and he is obviously very pleased with it.

No doubt he will be a great spokesman for the DeLorean, which is more than I can say for a lot of our car enthusiasts across the pond. He understands what this car is and what it is not. Most "experts" out there judge all cars by the same measuring stick..HP and 1/4 mile times, Matt gets it, and while most 6 figure exotics are spending their time sitting in a garage because the belt service is more than a new Civic, our cars are living a fun carefree life driving on the road and making people smile, especially thier owners.

As far as the watch goes, I can't help you there. I was never a Rolex fan. I didn't like their styling, I like unique, unusual designs that err towards the larger side. I am definitely not a fan of putting jewels on a watch to increase it's appeal. I think a watch should hold it's own without anything applied. It's like throwing a 1,000 dollars in your car and saying, now I've increased the value of my car! I am also no watch "snob". I can get just as excited about a 200.00 quartz watch just as I can about a 25,000 dollar tourbillon.

NightFlyer
12-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Well, I'm OUTRAGED!!

Just as soon as I finish this beer, I'm going to send a stiffly worded email to his boss!

Beer at 3:30p.m?!?!

Usually you would've already transitioned to hard liquor by this time of the day.

Not feeling well :wink:

NightFlyer
12-10-2013, 03:48 PM
I thought it was funny when he was showing how all the switches worked perfectly and the defrost switch came loose from its socket.

I noticed that too :smile:

Just don't mention it to Dermot, as he's not feeling well today (only on beer at 3:30pm) and already a bit outraged...

jerzybondov
12-13-2013, 09:44 AM
No doubt he will be a great spokesman for the DeLorean, which is more than I can say for a lot of our car enthusiasts across the pond.

You mean we have a realistic and objective opinion of the merits of the DeLorean as a motor car? Just because you like something doesn't mean it makes it objectively good... And I think Matt gets that too. He loves the car for what it is, not because it's the best sports car from the era. Which of course it isn't.

Kenny_Z
12-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I think he's specifically referencing Top Gear. Though I can't be sure as I've never seen their piece on DeLoreans. I don't watch any of the Top Gears or other car entertainment shows. I prefer the drama-free restoration and repair shows.

This one reminds me of the Wheeler Dealer's DeLorean episode. The enthusiasm for the car was evident. Matt's is even better since it is obvious this car is one from his dream car list.

Dangermouse
12-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I think he's specifically referencing Top Gear. t.

That's what I took it to mean too.

Michael
12-13-2013, 11:53 AM
You mean we have a realistic and objective opinion of the merits of the DeLorean as a motor car? Just because you like something doesn't mean it makes it objectively good... And I think Matt gets that too. He loves the car for what it is, not because it's the best sports car from the era. Which of course it isn't.

I think he's specifically referencing Top Gear. Though I can't be sure as I've never seen their piece on DeLoreans. I don't watch any of the Top Gears or other car entertainment shows. I prefer the drama-free restoration and repair shows.

This one reminds me of the Wheeler Dealer's DeLorean episode. The enthusiasm for the car was evident. Matt's is even better since it is obvious this car is one from his dream car list.
No I mean that dick Quentin. I have no problem with people being objective, but insulting is not necessary.