PDA

View Full Version : Woodward Dream Cruise - August 17, 2013

Rich W
08-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Woodward Dream Cruise 2013 - Saturday, August 17, 2013

The world's largest car show and car cruise will have another outstanding display of DeLorean automobiles
for our third year at the Bloomfield Hills Mercedes Benz dealership. There is no better location to display
our DeLoreans, to huge crowds of people who have such a great admiration of John Z. DeLorean and who
enjoy seeing our DeLoreans, both on display, and cruising up and down Woodward Ave. This is a multi-club
DMC event, with cars from all over the Midwest and Canada. With over 50,000 vehicles attending, both on
and next to Woodward Ave, and potentially a million spectators, this Cruise is THE event for all gear-heads.

Things are changing around a little this year, with the drive-up registration moving up the driveway a bit,
so if you have attended in the past two years, look for the signs as you pull up to the dealership driveway.

As with years past, we will have a few DMC POGs join us at the display, along with the POG Car (VIN...520)
which is at POG Summer Camp in Grand Rapids, MI this year, with Parts POG Chris Duvall.

Contact any of the participating DeLorean clubs for a registration form or just contact Rich Weissensel.
Check out the official Woodward Cruise website for more info: http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com

(Note: there is a special DeLorean PDF Registration Form that we can email to those interested in attending)

For more details about any DeLorean Midwest Connection club events, check out the DMC Club website
at: http://www.deloreanmidwest.com or Contact Rich Weissensel: [email protected]

Rich W
08-02-2013, 03:20 PM
For those who have inquired (and those who may be thinking about it), Yes, there is Cruising "all week" prior to the Saturday event,
so some of us will plan on cruising Woodward Ave on Thursday Night and Friday Night, as well as during the Saturday event.

No specific plans for Friday, like the JZD Tour, the GM Museum Tour or the Lingfelter Museum Tour of years past, but we may end up
meeting somewhere after doing some Woodward cruising on Friday afternoon and evening.

I have not decided what vehicle I will be bringing to Wooward this year, so stay tuned and check this thread again before August 15.

Rich W
08-04-2013, 06:20 AM
Less than two weeks away.

It might be a little late to try to pre-register through the official website, but you can still participate
in the DeLorean display at the Bloomfield Township DeLorean display via the participating DMC clubs.

Hope to see many DeLoreans at Woodward this year.

Rich W
08-05-2013, 12:55 PM
The pre-registered Woodward Dream Cruise placards arrived today, nearly a week earlier than last year
(but not personalized with a DeLorean photo this year, like previous years).

If you plan to attend Woodward with your DeLorean, please contact me in advance, for a parking placard.

Events Contact Email: [email protected]

Thanks,
Rich W.

Patrick C
08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
BUMP. Who is going?

Rich W
08-07-2013, 07:30 PM
BUMP. Who is going?

The WDC 2013 Confirmed List (with DeLoreans) as of today:

Rich Weissensel (Midwest club)
Tony Swann (Midwest club)
Jeff Synor (King POG)*
Chris Duvall (Parts POG)*
Bill S. (Midwest club)
Jim L. (Midwest club)
Byron (DMC MI Club) - stop by after work
?? (DMC MI Club)
??? (DMC MI Club)
Ken Kapalowski (ODOC Club) - tentative

Visitors: James from DMCH - tentative

Conundrum
08-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Hope I can make it to this cruise someday.

Rich W
08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Hope I can make it to this cruise someday.

Hey Matt,

It would be great if you could make it out to Woodward one year (maybe in a future, non-DCS event year, like 2015?).

We have tried to encourage some of the East Coast DeLorean owners to make the trip West to the Detroit area, but
we have yet to get folks from the East Coast to the Detroit area, with their DeLoreans, since JZD passed away in 2005.

With over 50,000 vehicles and over 1 million spectators, the Woodward Dream Cruise is really a sight to behold.

The long-range weather forecast is looking pretty good right now, with partly sunny and mid-70's expected for next weekend,
with similar conditions expected for almost the entire week leading up to the "official" Saturday Woodward Dream Cruise event.

There have also been some recent legislation changes in Michigan earlier this year, which allows for registered collector cars
to be driven during the entire month of August, without limitations, basically turning August in Michigan into a "Cruise Month".
Woodward Cruising already started this past weekend (Aug. 3-4) and it is expected to continue to increase through Aug. 17
and it is not expected to taper down significantly until the end of the month, on Saturday, August 31.

Can a "Cruise Month" help the economy in the Detroit area? It is most certainly not enough, but at least it is a good start.
It would certainly make for a great comeback story...car collectors and car enthusiasts help to revive the Motor City area.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
08-08-2013, 04:45 PM
The WDC 2013 Confirmed List (with DeLoreans) as of today:

Jeff Synor (King POG)*
Bill S. (Midwest club)
Jim L. (Midwest club)
Byron (DMC MI Club) - stop by after work
?? (DMC MI Club)
??? (DMC MI Club)

Visitors: James from DMCH - tentative

Some additional details from Byron this afternoon, added to list.

The WDC 2013 Confirmed List (with DeLoreans) as of 08/08/13:

Jeff Synor (King POG)*
Bill S. (Midwest club)
Jim L. (Midwest club)
Byron (DMC MI Club) - stop by after 3pm
Adam Kollin (DMC MI Club)
Josh - VIN..1798 (DMC MI Club)
???? (DMC MI Club)
????? (DMC MI Club)

Distant Visitors:
James from DMCH - tentative

Local Visitors:
Andrew Curzydlo
Sam Roach - (Kazoo area)

Exolis
08-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Myself (Steve G) and my girlfriend, Madison will be swinging by. Not bringing my DeLorean as the front end is still off.

Rich W
08-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Some additional details from Byron this afternoon, added to list.

The WDC 2013 Confirmed List (with DeLoreans) as of 08/08/13:

Jeff Synor (King POG)*
Bill S. (Midwest club)
Jim L. (Midwest club)
Josh - VIN..1798 (DMC MI Club)
???? (DMC MI Club)
????? (DMC MI Club)

Distant Visitors:
James from DMCH - tentative

Local Visitors:
Andrew Curzydlo
Sam Roach - (Kazoo area)

The WDC 2013 Confirmed List (with DeLoreans) as of 08/12/13:

Jeff Synor (King POG)*
Bill S. (Midwest club) - with his Bricklin
Jim L. (Midwest club)
Josh S. - VIN..1798 (DMC MI Club)
???? (DMC MI Club)
????? (DMC MI Club)

Distant Visitors:
James from DMCH (and Sarah)
Steve Rice

Local Visitors:
Andrew Curzydlo
Sam Roach and Chuck - (Kazoo area)
Steve G and Madison (D under repairs)

Rich W
08-13-2013, 08:10 PM
The official cruise hours for the Woodward Dream Cruise are from 9am to 9pm. Police WILL be shutting down Woodward at 9:01pm,
routing folks off the main drag at every major intersection with a street light, forcing right turns onto various side streets.

If you want to do any late cruising on Woodward, I would highly recommend you arrive before 7pm or you will probably be in gridlock
and then forced off onto a side street. Best time to make a quick pass on Woodward is before 9am and before the Grand Marshall.

NightFlyer
08-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Hey Rich,

What do I have to do to get a parking pass for #1798?

Also, the infamous Steve Rice will be with me, but sans his D.

EDIT: I just saw that you already have Steve Rice listed in the Distant Visitors category.

Rich W
08-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Hey Rich,

What do I have to do to get a parking pass for #1798?

Also, the infamous Steve Rice will be with me, but sans his D.

EDIT: I just saw that you already have Steve Rice listed in the Distant Visitors category.

Josh,

You are on the list so all you need to do is find Tony Swann or myself
at the MB dealership, before you park the car in a designated space.
We usually see the D's as they pull in. Parking Placard hangs on the
rear view mirror mount. Space Allocation is first come, first parked.

See you Saturday.

Thanks,
Rich W.

NightFlyer
08-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Excellent :biggrin:

Thanks Rich, I appreciate it! :thumbup:

Rich W
08-14-2013, 04:58 PM
The WDC 2013 Confirmed List (with DeLoreans) as of 08/13/13:

Jeff Synor (King POG)*
Bill S. (Midwest club) - with his Bricklin
Jim L. (Midwest club)
Jan (DMC MI Club)
Joe (DMC MI Club)
Josh S. - VIN..1798 (DMC MI Club)

Distant Visitors:
James from DMCH (and Sarah)
Steve Rice
VIN..17076 - (stop in on way home to Canada?)

Local Visitors:
Andrew Curzydlo
Sam Roach and Chuck - (Kazoo area)
Steve G and Madison (D under repairs)

Rich W
08-14-2013, 05:10 PM
UPDATE - Last minute change of plans (as usual) due to changes with Bloomfield Hills Township parking space bookings.

All of Bloomfield Hills Township parking spaces have been completely booked, including the special showcase locations.
If one of the special showcase locations was left available by today, BHT had requested that I bring the DeLorean Limo
and use that space. However, Carrie from BHT called me today and said there was "no room at the inn" for the D Limo.

So, for those who were curious what I will be bringing to Woodward 2013, D Rex will be making an encore appearance.

Sorry if some will be disappointed not to see the D Limo, but that is why I delayed the official announcement until later,
as to not get hopes up until BHT confirmed availability or BHT confirmed an unsold showcase space would be available.

See you on Saturday.

Thanks,
Rich W.

Rich W
08-14-2013, 06:05 PM
BUMP. Who is going?

Patrick, did you need me to hold a space for you?

Patrick C
08-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Patrick, did you need me to hold a space for you?

Thanks, Rich, but I'm going to have to pass this year. Take lots of pictures!

Rich W
08-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Woodward Dream Cruise 2013 - Saturday, August 17, 2013

Things are changing around a little this year, with the drive-up registration moving up the driveway a bit,
so if you have attended in the past two years, look for the signs as you pull up to the dealership driveway.

Partial additional update...

Forgot to comment on the above anticipated "changes" in the drive-up "check-in" as part of my update from yesterday.
Carrie from Bloomfield Hills Township also mentioned they were basically scrapping the "new" drive-up check-in location
idea and reverting back to the same location as previous years. Signs will still point the way to the check-in location.
Not sure if the "change-back" was due to logistics or due to the fact that they completely booked all available spaces.

NightFlyer
08-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey Rich,

What time would you suggest getting to the MB dealership at?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting you, Tony, and the other D owners!

Rich W
08-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Hey Rich,

What time would you suggest getting to the MB dealership at?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting you, Tony, and the other D owners!

Best time is usually between 10am and 11am. Not too early, since they technically start at 9am,
and in years past, it takes a while before they get it all together in the first hour or so. Between
11am-1pm is when it is the most busy to check-in. However, once you are checked-in and you
have your placard, you have unlimited out-and-in priviledges, to cruise, park, cruise, park, etc.

We usually do one or two "group" cruises with at least a half dozen DeLoreans, all in a row.

I may take the D Rex out for a little ride down Woodward this year, but D Rex hates traffic. (LOL)

NightFlyer
08-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Best time is usually between 10am and 11am. Not too early, since they technically start at 9am,
and in years past, it takes a while before they get it all together in the first hour or so. Between
11am-1pm is when it is the most busy to check-in. However, once you are checked-in and you
have your placard, you have unlimited out-and-in priviledges, to cruise, park, cruise, park, etc.

We usually do one or two "group" cruises with at least a half dozen DeLoreans, all in a row.

I may take the D Rex out for a little ride down Woodward this year, but D Rex hates traffic. (LOL)

Perfect!

Thanks Rich, and see you at Woodward :thumbup:

Rich W
08-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Detroit Free Press interview

http://www.freep.com/article/20130817/NEWS13/308170104/Woodward-Dream-Cruise-DeLorean

Exolis
08-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Any pictures up? I was only there for a short bit between 5 and 6, by that time it seemed a lot of classic cars had gone home and mostly regular cars looking at parked cars.

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Any pictures up? I was only there for a short bit between 5 and 6, by that time it seemed a lot of classic cars had gone home and mostly regular cars looking at parked cars.

You can check out the Woodward thread over on DMCToday.com - lots of pics, videos, and a lengthy write-up review/retrospect of the event by yours truly :biggrin:

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?10-Woodward-Dream-Cruise-August-17-2012-Detroit-MI/page2

Rich W
08-20-2013, 06:15 PM

Sorry, many of the photos were posted to Social Media first, since it was easier to email the photos to the DMC MW Social Media guys to post them.

Most of the interesting photos have been posted to the DeLorean Midwest Connection Social Media websites (FaceBook and Twitter).

https://twitter.com/DeLoreanMidwest

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DeLorean-Midwest-Connection/186922604656405

I plan to post some additional photos here soon, including some hottie photos that Parts POG Chris Duvall took for me, as I assisted the hotties
in and out of the D Rex. Sometimes you cannot do everything and I was very happy when Chris filled in again this year as the D Rex photographer.

One of Chris Duvall's best shots from Woodward 2012 below:

Rich W
08-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Two blonde hotties that passed through the DMC area, but not photographed until they were down the block a bit.

I saw the outfits out of the corner of my eye while doing an interview, so, no photos with DMC's in the background.

Rich W
08-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Two blonde hotties that passed through the DMC area, but not photographed until they were down the block a bit.

I saw the outfits out of the corner of my eye while doing an interview, so, no photos with DMC's in the background.

Speaking of blonde hotties...

Here is a photo that Chris Duvall took during one interview, of me and Maggie from Metromix Detroit (IIRC).

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Rich was the mack daddy of Woodward 8)

Ron
08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Speaking of blonde hotties...

Here is a photo that Chris Duvall took during one interview, of me and Maggie from Metromix Detroit (IIRC).

21536This post is evil.

Ron
08-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Sorry, many of the photos were posted to Social Media first,..

Hey!...you set us up. This is worse than jet lag....:devil:

Rich W
08-22-2013, 05:20 PM
This post is evil.

Good Catch. Yes...I did notice that was Post 666 for me.

To keep with the evil theme, the red pants reminded me
of a scene in the movie Bedazzled with Elizabeth Hurley.

The bright red lipstick helped with the theme as well.

Ron
08-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Good Catch. Yes...I did notice that was Post 666 for me.

To keep with the evil theme, the red pants reminded me
of a scene in the movie Bedazzled with Elizabeth Hurley.

The bright red lipstick helped with the theme as well.When I first looked at the post, I thought the little devil had a tail...

Rich W
08-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Attaching a couple photos that I would rate as the Best Photos of Girl Posing in DeLorean at Woodward Dream Cruise 2013.

Since I am really bad with names, I will refer to this young lady as Off-Road Girl, since she has her own Lifted Jeep that she
does some regular off-roading with, whether it be on the trails, in the mud or in the sand. She is really into off-roading.

Photos were taken by Chris Duvall near the end of day Saturday, as you may be able to tell by the angle of the sun on D Rex.

Note: For those of you insisting on re-posting photos to your own FaceBook pages, please credit the photographer who has
taken the photos. This has gotten so bad on FaceBook and Twitter that our Social Media guys for our local DMC Club have
started to watermark photos before posting them, which, of course, will delay the posting of many DeLorean event photos.
I rather not call-out specific people out by name, so please either link to the original photos or note the photo credits.

It's getting bad when you have folks email copies of your own photos and telling you where they were seen or found, and
asking you if you have seen them yet. Then you hear the same people and places re-posting more photos, without credits.

Sorry ... I'm hopping off the soap box now.

Thanks,
Rich W.

DMCMW Dave
09-09-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/09/bricklin-sv-1-and-delorean-dmc-12-so-alike-yet-so-different/

Link sent to me by the car's owner.

Rich W
10-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Better late than never, a video posted today, almost two months after the Woodward Dream Cruise 2013 event.

Video done for Bloomfield Township, to promote the Woodward Dream Cruise and their Car Show event.
It appears the video was just loaded earlier today to Vimeo. (about 11am, Woodward time)

http://vimeo.com/76329918 (watch for Bill Schafer's Safety Green Bricklin making an appearance too)

Out of the approximately 23 minutes of actual video footage, there is at least 5 minutes of DeLorean time,
along with some indirect footage of the D Rex, while footage of moving cars on Woodward was filmed.

Indirect D Rex footage starts at 30 seconds into the video and pops up a few times throughout the video.
Joe Vitale from DMC MI is interviewed about 14:28 - 16:00 and I am on there from about 16:18 - 19:20.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
10-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Better late than never...

While double-checking for other links for DeLoreans at the Woodward Dream Cruise 2013,
I came across the following Photo gallery from the Detroit News:

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/multimedia/gallery.php?id=16543

(Gallery 2 - photos 41, 42, 43)